Mozart: The Symphonies

Guy Berger

The subtitle is tongue in cheek, of course.

The final five symphonies are regularly praised, and for good reason. But there are some really excellent Salzburg symphonies as well -- esp #29. On the other hand I think "Paris", despite having a "name", is not that much better than its neighboring symphonies.

Any thoughts?

& not that good, or great, unless "mere" "craft" is yr all-day hardon, yr all-night lickin' stick-- mama come here quick!!. you can argue the % is ok-- ok, but then there's Haydn, or Mo's own piano concertos (> symphs as whole), that Swedish fucker (Kraus), some other Austrians (ya'll know the ones). VERDICT: a generally overexposed, overpraised body of work, albeit w/a handful-- NO MORE-- of exceptions that strong period bands make worthwhile. edc, author Class Struggles In The Pit (Bobbs-Merilll 1974).

Just to clarify: surely, your comments apply to 25 & 29, as opposed to 40 & 41. Those latter two never cease to amaze me.

& not that good, or great, unless "mere" "craft" is yr all-day hardon, yr all-night lickin' stick-- mama come here quick!!. you can argue the % is ok-- ok, but then there's Haydn, or Mo's own piano concertos (> symphs as whole), that Swedish fucker (Kraus), some other Austrians (ya'll know the ones). VERDICT: a generally overexposed, overpraised body of work, albeit w/a handful-- NO MORE-- of exceptions that strong period bands make worthwhile. edc, author Class Struggles In The Pit (Bobbs-Merilll 1974).

Won't really disagree with the fact that as a whole it's not "great" -- the early symphonies are OK (pleasant "craft", as you say -- but by K 130 or whatever you start moving beyond that), and if those first 40-45 symphonies had been composed by a AW Trazom, we would probably remember the guy as another 2nd-tier 1770s composer of symphonies. In which case you would probably be plugging him... ;)

But... I am guessing that at least some people here have not listened to anything before the Haffner, and they would probably be pleasantly surprised. Certainly #29 is a great work regardless of the name attached to it or the period in which it was composed.

(#25 is a nice change of pace, but I would put it a cut below the minor key symphonies composed by Haydn during the same period.)

Guy