I don't hear any Thelonious Monk on either of those tracks. In general, I have yet to hear a Minton's recording of Charlie Christian that has any clear Monk piano in it. This is in contrast to many other Minton's recordings from 1941 where Monk's distinctive piano is clearly audible.
Yes, a number of discographies, including the Lord Discography have changed the date of the first Roost session to August, 1949 in line with Pullman's research. I recall that Allen Lowe feels very strongly that the original 1947 date is correct due to the manner of Powell's playing on the date.
Yes, presumably the Greatest Hits version is the one that was recorded at the Time Out session on June 25, 1959. It is also included on the Columbia release (Brubeck Editions) of Time Out outtakes.
I think that this list on this discogs page is pretty complete. I don't recall any others. (The Steve Lacy and Dave Wilson listings are obvious errors)
https://www.discogs.com/label/115699-Thelonious-Records
When I lived in Abuja, Nigeria, you couldn't get a job playing in bush bar if you didn't know Coat of Many Colors.
She was incredible, one of the all-time greats.
RIP
Whether it is 26 or 60 hours, that amounts to an amazing archive at a pivotal period in Coltrane's development. Let us hope that full access will come sooner rather than later or not-at-all.
I've listened to every disc of every Mosaic set that I own but there are a good number of discs that I haven't listened to twice. I have only listened once to every disc in the Bing Crosby box of CBS Radio Recordings. I bought it used because the price was right. I enjoyed listening to it once. But if I am in the mood to listen to straight Bing Crosby (maybe a few times a year), I always reach for something else.
I am not sure if I will ever listen twice to a few of the discs in the new Mosaic V-Disc Big Band set.
Yes, I like Lee Morgan a lot but there are a number of trumpet players who do even more for me, and Louis Armstrong tops that list. That said, I don't listen to the All Stars very often. I prefer most of my Armstrong vintage 1925-1946.
I haven't done it, but sort of regret not doing it.
I have amassed a large collection of live recordings made by a number of artists. But I often have little to go on in choosing what to listen to. It would be nice to have a least of few comments on the qualities of each recording when deciding what to put on. In particular, I tend to forget about fabulous special live performances that can get lost in my large collection.