March Listening

Right now:

Archie Shepp's Attica Blues - track 5: Steam Part 2

This album really makes me feel like I'm on drugs when I listen to it. The strings on this track have a narcotic quality to them.

I respect the sentiments they're trying to convey here, but it's a weird album. Not really jazz.

:rsmile: :rhappy: :rsmile:

That's funny shit. There's a Yusef Lateef song called "Destination Paradise" that has this really slow bass line intro and upon hearing it a friend of mine asked, "What is this heroin music we're listening to?"

I love slow mellow stuff just as much as I love fast stuff, but I could see what he was saying.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right now:

Archie Shepp's Attica Blues - track 5: Steam Part 2

This album really makes me feel like I'm on drugs when I listen to it. The strings on this track have a narcotic quality to them.

I respect the sentiments they're trying to convey here, but it's a weird album. Not really jazz.

:rsmile:  :rhappy:  :rsmile:

That's funny shit. There's a Yusef Lateef song called "Destination Paradise" that has this really slow bass line intro and upon hearing it a friend of mine asked, "What is this heroin music we're listening to?"

I love slow mellow stuff just as much as I love fast stuff, but I could see what he was saying.

I need to track down that Yusef Lateef song. :D

What really makes the Shepp song weird for me is the rhodes with the tremelo on it mixed with those crazy Charles Ive's-like strings. Then the singing starts. I don't have a chance.

At least the next song is upbeat. It has a nice groove.

I do like this album. I'm glad I picked it up.

Tonight:

Les McCann Invitation To Openness

Just picked this up tonight, along with Larry Coryell's Barefoot Boy. I am listening to the Les McCann for the first time and it has yet to make a noise I didn't instantly love. :rsmile:

Missed this thread. Glad it's back.

This morning:

Birth of the Cool Miles Davis

Interstellar Space-John Coltrane

Complete Town Hall Concert- Charles Mingus

Red Clay-Freddie Hubbard

Where?-Ron Carter with Eric Dolphy and Mal Waldron

The Modern Dance-Pere Ubu

Rum Sodomy and the Lash-The Pogues

Today:

Billy Higgins - Bridgework

Soulful Strings - The Magic Of Christmas (it's freakin' hot in my office!!!) & Play Gamble & Huff ... guilty pleasures :g

Virgil Gonsalves/Steve White - In Hollywood

Tiny Grimes - Tiny In Swingville

Gene Harris - It's The Real Soul

Donald Harrison - Free To Be

The Soulful Strings. . . isn't that Dorothy Ashby? :)

Okay, kidding aside, I know that bassist Richard Evans was responsible for the arranging and conducting of at leaset one of their sessions. He's an interesting writer/arranger. . . .

Edited by jazzbo

As usual :g , Lon's hit the nail on the head -- I think the Strings were kind of the brainchild of Richard Evans and Esmond Edwards at Cadet studios. I think Evans arranged most, if not all, of the material, which was generally "hits of the day", with a few standards and a few originals thrown into the mix.

I don't believe there were any "big-name" artists involved in the recordings, mostly players I've never heard of and some chaps who were on the cusp of 'name recognition': Phil Upchurch, Cleveland Eaton, Lenny Druss, Charles Stepney. We know their music, perhaps (wasn't Eaton with Ramsey Lewis for awhile?), but the names might be a bit foggy.

Soul-jazz with violins, violas and cellos. Not for everybody, but I dig it (for the most part). The SS had a really nice version of "Burning Spear" that I assume was its "big hit".

Not much info on AMG, but the group and most sessions are listed.

And some more info, with sound samples (I think) here:

http://funky16corners.tripod.com/8_evans_2.htm

I dig Air too!

I put my favorite tracks from Moon Safari and the Virgin Suicides on 1 cd. I listen to it while I'm working often.

:rsmile: :rhappy: :rsmile:

My listening:

Jazz:

Andrew Hill - Judgement

Ike Quebec - Heavy Soul

Non-Jazz:

Stereolab - Mars Audiac Quintet

:rsmile:

Edited by AfricaBrass

I've been trying to spend more time on CD's that I've never given the attention they deserve. On the playlist for today:

Gerald Wilson - The Golden Sword

Grant Green - Carryin' On, Am I Blue

Lou Donaldson - Good Gracious

Keith Jarrett - Shades

Jackie McLean - Destination Out (actually, I listen to this all the time ;) )

Elvin Jones - Mr. Jones

Hank Mobley - Hank Mobley and his All-Stars

Tamba 4 - We And The Sea (this one also gets a lot of attention)

Cal Tjader - Plays the Contemporary Music of Mexico and Brazil

Sam Rivers - Contours