The Electronic Music Thread

Jim Alfredson

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was listening to Aphex Twin's Drukqs yesterday... i remember when it came out in 2001 feeling pretty let down by it; expectations were huge and at the time it felt so average compared to The Richard D. James album. I think i remember reading somewhere that the release was rushed as the work in progress tracks had been leaked (he mistakenly left them on an MP3 player on an airplane or something?) and i think that coloured the way i heard it: rushed, works in progress. Interesting to look it up and see that it came out roughly a month after September 11, a really weird time on the planet. I remember about five years later meeting a guy from England while i was working in a medical supplies warehouse: he raved about Drukqs and i ended up revisiting it but it still didn't really do it for me. Anyway, it really hit the spot for me yesterday; at home while cleaning out my desk it made for a weirdly, pleasantly nostalgic buzz. I'm pretty sure at the time it was originally released i made myself a cassette tape which excluded the prepared piano tracks; in hindsight that was a mistake.

I was listening to Aphex Twin's Drukqs yesterday... i remember when it came out in 2001 feeling pretty let down by it; expectations were huge and at the time it felt so average compared to The Richard D. James album. I think i remember reading somewhere that the release was rushed as the work in progress tracks had been leaked (he mistakenly left them on an MP3 player on an airplane or something?) and i think that coloured the way i heard it: rushed, works in progress. Interesting to look it up and see that it came out roughly a month after September 11, a really weird time on the planet. I remember about five years later meeting a guy from England while i was working in a medical supplies warehouse: he raved about Drukqs and i ended up revisiting it but it still didn't really do it for me. Anyway, it really hit the spot for me yesterday; at home while cleaning out my desk it made for a weirdly, pleasantly nostalgic buzz. I'm pretty sure at the time it was originally released i made myself a cassette tape which excluded the prepared piano tracks; in hindsight that was a mistake.

I love it, at the time I was more interested in SAWII. But I kept checking his music out as it came out and got stranger and stranger. Now, I really dig how he makes use of all the flutering, echo and reverb...those little production details.

I love it, at the time I was more interested in SAWII. But I kept checking his music out as it came out and got stranger and stranger. Now, I really dig how he makes use of all the flutering, echo and reverb...those little production details.

It's amazing stuff. Clearly the amount of work that went in to the construction is astounding and yet it doesn't sound contrived or like it's overtly trying to be mind blowing or anything, if that makes sense. Just fantastic music.

• 2 years later...

I never thought too much of Moby's thing, but this is really quite good for Moby. He's no Eno, but few are.

Moby gives away four hours of ambient music designed for sleeping or meditation

and two about Robert Rich:

You’re Supposed To Fall Asleep At This 8-Hour Concert
Please don’t snore.

Interview with Electronic Musician, Robert Rich

I got drawn into the orbit of a band called Stars Of The Lid and their offshoots, Dead Texan, Brian McBride, etc.. It's some of the best ambient I've heard since Eno's pioneering work.  I consider myself hard to p,ease in Ambient Music.  If it has a beat, it's not ambient by my personal definition.  Even a pulse is not very welcome in my ambient world.  A lot pf the SOTL is on the Kranky label.

6 hours ago, six string said:

I got drawn into the orbit of a band called Stars Of The Lid and their offshoots, Dead Texan, Brian McBride, etc.. It's some of the best ambient I've heard since Eno's pioneering work.  I consider myself hard to p,ease in Ambient Music.  If it has a beat, it's not ambient by my personal definition.  Even a pulse is not very welcome in my ambient world.  A lot pf the SOTL is on the Kranky label.

Stars Of The Lid is a big favorite here. :tup

2 hours ago, 7/4 said:

Stars Of The Lid is a big favorite here. :tup

Cool, I got sucked in bad and ended up with about ten discs between them and their off shoots.  Their ability to create the sounds with acoustic instruments I have normally heard with electronics is amazing to me.

21 hours ago, 7/4 said:

The only SotL related band I've heard was Winged Victory for the Sullen, and only the 1st album.

The second WVFTS album is excellent as well.  There's also Dead Texan but I forget the relationship to SOTL but one of the main guys is in it.  There is a Brian McBride album also.  

8 hours ago, six string said:

The second WVFTS album is excellent as well.  There's also Dead Texan but I forget the relationship to SOTL but one of the main guys is in it.  There is a Brian McBride album also.  

Thanks to the wonders of the internet, I'm listening to the Dean Texan. It's fantastic.

14 hours ago, 7/4 said:

Thanks to the wonders of the internet, I'm listening to the Dean Texan. It's fantastic.

IIRC, there is a film / video component to The Dead Texan project.

Apologies if she has been mentioned on this thread already (and if so, another :tup), but some of the more interesting electronic music being made right now is courtesy of Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith.

On June 8, 2016 at 4:26 PM, 7/4 said:

Thanks to the wonders of the internet, I'm listening to the Dead Texan. It's fantastic.

You're welcome!  Yes, it is a two disc set with one disc being a dvd with video content.  I only watched it once or twice back when I got it a couple of years ago so I'm very sketchy on the content.  This group of musicians (SOTL and spinoffs) are making my favorite ambient music outside of Eno.  What impresses me is how much they use acoustic instruments instead of synths to get some of their textures.  

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet but Lost At Dunn's Lake by James Johnson and Stephen Phillips is a classic along Eno's On Land.  Like that iconic title they use some nature sounds with their electronics.  I haven't checked much of johnson's work but he has a lot on bandcamp.

On 6/12/2016 at 7:40 AM, six string said:

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet but Lost At Dunn's Lake by James Johnson and Stephen Phillips is a classic along Eno's On Land.  Like that iconic title they use some nature sounds with their electronics.  I haven't checked much of johnson's work but he has a lot on bandcamp.

Those names seem familiar from the '90s.

Pete Namlook & Tetsu Inoue - Shades Of Orion I-III

Techo/ambient was my idea of light pop music in the '90s, rock really let me down after 'the early 80s.. Namlook died a few years ago, Tetsu is missing, presumed dead.

Edited by 7/4

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...