Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
alocispepraluger102

a child of our time

7 posts in this topic

sir michael tippett's 'a child of out time' in my opinion, is a masterpiece, for it's craftsmanship, taste, and above all, it's music.

i have read criticism of the work that is scathing, and far more that extolls the work.

have there been previous discussions on the subject?

what are informed members opinions of the work?

Edited by alocispepraluger102

Wonderful piece.

I first heard it in a concert in Nottingham with Andre Previn in the mid to late 80s. The then apartheid government of South Africa had just imposed reporting restrictions that day to try and muffle the sound of unrest in the country; 'A Child of Our Time' seemed as relevant as when it was first performed.

I got this version last year off e-music. Works for me:

cd-child.jpg

Replaced an earlier Davis version on LP.

I got this version last year off e-music. Works for me:

cd-child.jpg

Replaced an earlier Davis version on LP.

that comes well recommended.

thank you.

Have to admit not listening since the early '70s. I believe I had it on Argo at the time. I went through a fairly long Tippett phase in the '70s and '80s but it faded away. Only have a few discs on cd and a favorite is a BBC mag issue of 2 symphonies conducted by the composer. He's not well respected as a conductor but I like these recordings a bunch. Also have at least one cd of his piano concerto - interesting work.

I agree about that BBC Tippett-conducted disc, and the Piano Concerto is my favorite work of his. I have the old Colin Davis-John Ogdon recording on LP, plus the relatively recent Stephen Osborne-Martyn Brabbins Hyperion 2-CD set with the Concerto and the Piano Sonatas. I prefer the Ogdon-Davis for its air of intoxication and (so it seems to me) pastoral eroticism -- it occurred to me once that the marvelous piano-celeste dialogue passages were the sonic equivalent for Tippett of the sort of sexual romps he favored -- but the Osborne-Brabbins is very good too. Probably my preference for the Ogdon-Davis is mostly imprinting.