The New Rhodes Piano

Walt Richmond

It isn't going to be cheap.

I saw a tour of how they are putting the new Rhodes pianos together. It was probably 90% Rhodes propaganda but it looks like their is a lot of manual craftsmanship going into the new EPs.

I wish I had kept my old Rhodes.

Edited by CEB

It isn't going to be cheap.

I saw a tour of how they are putting the new Rhodes pianos together. It was probably 90% Rhodes propaganda but it looks like their is a lot of manual craftsmanship going into the new EPs.

I wish I had kept my old Rhodes.

You and me both. Stupidest thing I ever did.

The site won't say, Jim. This has been going on for nearly two years. The original release date was Spring '08. And like CEB says, there has been this enormous amount of propaganda, definitely promising a great instrument, but so far no product. I realize it's going to be expensive, but just release it for heaven's sake.

I bought my Stage 73 back in the late 90s for $400. It was always hard to play until I did a modification on it that has really changed the action. I plays beautifully now and sounds great. I wish I could use it more often. I've been using it now and again with Greg Nagy's band to differentiate myself from my role in Root Doctor. But it's a bitch to haul around (and this coming from a guy who hauled a real B3 for 10 years!!!)

I bought my Stage 73 all the way back in '76, and by '83 the tines were breaking once a week. In '86 I decided to do the Kung Fu thing and wander the earth and so I sold it for some absurdly low price (along with a perfectly operating Moog Prodigy, another idiotic move). So when I first saw the ads for the new one I was excited. But they've stalled for so long, and released so much press about how great this unavailable keyboard is, my enthusiasm is fading.

• 3 weeks later...