Woody Allen's "Midnight In Paris"

The 76 awards were a disaster Rocky won over All the president's men , Network and Taxi Driver, seriously are we supposed to be honored to receive one !

Regarding Midnight in Paris, I usually like Woody including his recent work but the preview of this one does not incite me at all to see it, it sounds like a corny film.

Edited by Van Basten II

We saw it earlier this evening and thoroughly enjoyed it. Owen Wilson as the "Woody" character is terrific, and Marianne Cotillard is charming. Plenty of laughs. Familiar Woody themes, such as his disdain for pompous know-it-alls, appear once again, but to me, it's like hearing one of your favorite jazzmen play some of his familar licks.

We saw it earlier this evening and thoroughly enjoyed it. Owen Wilson as the "Woody" character is terrific, and Marianne Cotillard is charming. Plenty of laughs. Familiar Woody themes, such as his disdain for pompous know-it-alls, appear once again, but to me, it's like hearing one of your favorite jazzmen play some of his familar licks.

agreed on all accounts. i love it when the museum guide (if that's what she is) refers to the 'pompous know-it-all' as "the pedantic one." and owen's character says, "Yeah. Good word." or something like that. this movie was just fun fun fun.

and the analogy of woody's familiar themes appearing in movie after movie being "like hearing one of your favorite jazzmen play some of his familar licks," is an excellent one! :tup but just like musicians can play their regular bag and have off nights, woody has had quite a few off nights in the recent past. but for me, Midnight In Paris was an excellent gig!

as for the 1976 oscars, agreed that there were some ridiculous picks. however, i do love the original Rocky. great movie.

Edited by thedwork

Don't get me wrong, Rocky is a fun and entertaining movie but it was against heavy artillery, they gave it to the most popular film instead of the best one.

i don't think any serious film person would argue w/ you on that one van basten. Network, All The President's Men, and Taxi Driver are/were all superior films. hell, avildsen wins for director on Rocky while scorsese didn't even get nominated for Taxi Driver?! insanity...

but i still love Rocky... :w:g