Impulse/ABC Impulse vinyl question?

kazak

I am relatively new to the world of vinyl. I only started buying vinyl in the last 6 months. I recently purchased Yusef Lateef’s The Golden Flute, off e-Bay. My question has to do with the Impulse label. I have the Goldmine Jazz Album Price Guide by Tim Neely, published in 2000. In the listing for Lateef (and of course other artists who recorded on the Impulse label), there is pricing for “Impulse” and pricing for “ABC Impulse!”

About the Lateef album I do have. Printed on the front cover is a circle with the Impulse logo and the record catalog number: Impulse A-9125. On the bottom left of the cover it says Monaural. The label on the record itself shows the catalog number as A-9125-A on side one and A-9125-B on side two. Also, printed on the record label is, “A product of ABC-Paramount Records, Inc.” - it also says this on the back of the record cover. On the inside of the album cover (it is a gatefold) it says, “Impulse Records, a product of ABC Paramount Records, Inc., 1330 Avenue of the Americas, N.Y. 10019”.

There is no date on the album or the album cover. The price guide lists the “Impulse” release from 1966 (there are two: A-9125 Mono and AS-9125 Stereo) and the “ABC Impulse” from 1968 (but it only list AS-9125 Stereo, no Mono is listed).

Based on what is printed on the album and the album cover it seems that this is an “ABC Impulse” release. But the Jazz guide does not list a Mono version for “ABC Impulse”.

Since I don’t actually have one of each (Impulse/ABC Impulse!) album that I can compare against each other I am not sure if I have an “Impulse” or an “ABC Impulse”. The e-Bay seller listed the record as, “YUSEF LATEEF "THE GOLDEN FLUTE"-IMPULSE-MONO-A-9125… This is an "ORIGINAL" Copy; this is NOT a Reissue item.”

Does anyone know what the difference is and can you shed any light on which release I actually have?

Thanks in advance

John

Impusle was always a subsidiary of ABC Paramount, or ABC as they later changed it. Goldmine's differentiation concerns logos and label designs. At some point in the '70s the artwork changed to ABC Impulse. An "original" of Golden Flute will have a glossy laminated cover and an orange label with a black outer circle.