BFT 98 discussion

thedwork

• 2 weeks later...

Hard to believe no one has jumped in yet. I've been listening, and will post my complete response in a day or two. But just to go ahead and get my first-to-identify points:

13. The Sonny Rollins Quartet, with Don Cherry, the great Henry Grimes, and Billy Higgins, playing "You Are My Lucky Star," from the album 3 For Jazz, recorded in 1963. I know the song "You Are My Lucky Star," and there's no way I would have ever known that's what these guys were playing if the booklet (I have the Rollins Complete RCA box) hadn't listed the title. That doesn't matter - here are four brilliant jazz musicians, none of whom sound remotely like anyone else. This is jazz, baby. A lot of critics say that Rollins' best recorded work is from the late 1950's, from "Worktime" on. I don't know - I think he was brilliant in the 1960's: not always consistent, but capable reaching amazing improvisatory heights. And Don Cherry, who was soon to be playing with Albert Ayler, shows himself to be perfectly capable of playing chord changes with imagination and originality. Great music.

OK, here's the first half.

1 I like the head, but sorry, don't care for the shrill tenor. Is that James Carter? Or David Murray on a bad day? Actually, I like this one pretty well when the tenor isn't playing.

2 Ahh, that's better. The first guess that comes to mind is the drums – the tuning and tone sound like Marvin "Smitty" Smith back in the day. Then it occurs to me that the piano sounds a lot like John Hicks. Everybody really gets into the long closing vamp. Really a lovely track.

3 There's an ECM vibe here, and if the drummer isn't Jack De, he's sure listened to a lot of Jack De on ECM. Can't peg the tenor. But another good one here.

4 I'll guess it's a sax player having a holiday on clarinet, not a person who usually plays clarinet. The solo doesn't do much for me. The guitar solo gets better as it goes.

5 The tune is Buster Williams' "Christina," but I don't recognize the performance.

6 I confess, the trombone solo doesn't do much for me. Is the alto Steve Wilson? I like the second half of the piano solo less than the first.

7 The change of pace is welcome, even though I don't recognize anything about the performance. Yeah, I like pretty much everything about this. Is this a Marcus Roberts thing?

Hard to believe no one has jumped in yet. I've been listening, and will post my complete response in a day or two. But just to go ahead and get my first-to-identify points:

13. The Sonny Rollins Quartet, with Don Cherry, the great Henry Grimes, and Billy Higgins, playing "You Are My Lucky Star," from the album 3 For Jazz, recorded in 1963. I know the song "You Are My Lucky Star," and there's no way I would have ever known that's what these guys were playing if the booklet (I have the Rollins Complete RCA box) hadn't listed the title. That doesn't matter - here are four brilliant jazz musicians, none of whom sound remotely like anyone else. This is jazz, baby. A lot of critics say that Rollins' best recorded work is from the late 1950's, from "Worktime" on. I don't know - I think he was brilliant in the 1960's: not always consistent, but capable reaching amazing improvisatory heights. And Don Cherry, who was soon to be playing with Albert Ayler, shows himself to be perfectly capable of playing chord changes with imagination and originality. Great music.

of the five or so tracks on this BFT that i thought might be "gimmies," this was the one i figured at least a couple folks would likely know. but "1st to identify" points to you all-the-same! :party:

and i wasn't aware of the 3 For Jazz release. i got it on Sonny Meets Hawk as one of three bonus tracks i think. it's an amazing track to my ear. still so fresh. the musical energy still just flies off of this piece in waves. and the remastering job sounds excellent to me, though i don't really have experience w/ the original. i'm just assuming 'cuz it sounds so good/clean/clear.

enjoy the rest of the BFT jeffcrom. looking forward to your thoughts...

Edited by thedwork

OK, here's the first half.

1 I like the head, but sorry, don't care for the shrill tenor. Is that James Carter? Or David Murray on a bad day? Actually, I like this one pretty well when the tenor isn't playing.

i hear you spontooneous. i honestly have a similar feeling toward this track as relates to the tenor. just not quite as strong as you :excited: but i wanted to start off the BFT w/ a swingin' track w/ an organist in honor of our forum's gracious hosts. not Carter or Murray on a bad day :)

2 Ahh, that's better. The first guess that comes to mind is the drums – the tuning and tone sound like Marvin "Smitty" Smith back in the day. Then it occurs to me that the piano sounds a lot like John Hicks. Everybody really gets into the long closing vamp. Really a lovely track.

yeah, that closing vamp is nice. they really dig in. cool guesses w/ Smith and Hicks but not them. and unlike the first track, all three guys on this track will be folks everyone here knows. not necessarily listens to, but knows of...

3 There's an ECM vibe here, and if the drummer isn't Jack De, he's sure listened to a lot of Jack De on ECM. Can't peg the tenor. But another good one here.

i can see hearing an ECM vibe here. not ECM. not Jack De but the drummer here has definitely listened to and absorbed much from him, and many, many others. glad you liked this track.

4 I'll guess it's a sax player having a holiday on clarinet, not a person who usually plays clarinet. The solo doesn't do much for me. The guitar solo gets better as it goes.

that's very astute on the "sax player holiday" thing :tup if i included him in this BFT on his normal axe he may have been too easy to identify so i used this track. this is a somewhat obscure recording of a not too obscure player. and yeah, that guitar player is killer - comping as well as blowing...

5 The tune is Buster Williams' "Christina," but I don't recognize the performance.

points! lovely tune and i actually don't have any other recordings of it.

6 I confess, the trombone solo doesn't do much for me. Is the alto Steve Wilson? I like the second half of the piano solo less than the first.

not Wilson.

7 The change of pace is welcome, even though I don't recognize anything about the performance. Yeah, I like pretty much everything about this. Is this a Marcus Roberts thing?

and there will be more "change of pace" coming your way :w Roberts is about as good a guess as there could be for this without actually getting it. not Roberts.

thanks for writing spontooneous :tup looking forward to more...

Edited by thedwork

I am terrible at identifying musicians but I have thoroughly enjoyed this BFT for its sheer listening pleasure.

Track 1. The organist is either Larry Young or someone who has listened to a lot of Larry Young. The organist reminds me of Larry Young on a Joe Chambers Muse album, Double Exposure.

I am terrible at identifying musicians but I have thoroughly enjoyed this BFT for its sheer listening pleasure.

Track 1. The organist is either Larry Young or someone who has listened to a lot of Larry Young. The organist reminds me of Larry Young on a Joe Chambers Muse album, Double Exposure.

genuinely glad to hear that you're enjoying the music Hot Ptah. that is, after all, one of the main purposes of these BFTs, right? :w

not Larry Young. and embarrassingly, Unity is the only Young record i'm familiar with. i'll have to check out Double Exposure...

for me, the coolest thing about these BFTs are the absent musicians that the present music brings to mind. and of course the opinions/judgements on the music which are unfiltered by preconceived/solidified attitudes associated and ingrained w/ certain names/bands. always interesting. more thoughts and speculation throughout the month is always welcome/encouraged :)

Edited by thedwork

Popped this disc in this morning.

1. Lonnie Smith? It's got that greasy Turbinator feel. I'm wondering about the sax player as well. Maybe Sam Yahel with Javon Jackson?

2. Pleasant. Ahmad Jamal? I'm not very good at identifying piano players. A bit more aggressive towards the end. Probably McCoy Tyner.

3. I can't identify this tune. Neither here nor there for me.

4. Same here.

5. Pat Martino? I am probably way off....

6. Grachan Moncur? Sounds nice.

7. My immediate thought was Marcus Roberts as well, but maybe late Earl Hines?

8. Trumpet solo. No clue.

9. Gentle piano --- something from ECM maybe? Paul Bley? Heck, for all I know it could be Brubeck. This is a real blind spot for me.

Edited by Stefan Wood

ahoy stefan...

1. Lonnie Smith? It's got that greasy Turbinator feel. I'm wondering about the sax player as well. Maybe Sam Yahel with Javon Jackson?

this is not one of the "gimmies" so not Lonnie or the other guesses. this artist, i think, is not too well known. but i could be wrong. i came to know him through his work as a sideman in a quite different environment...

2. Pleasant. Ahmad Jamal? I'm not very good at identifying piano players. A bit more aggressive towards the end. Probably McCoy Tyner.

Not McCoy (or Jamal). but there's a lot of obvious, and possibly intentional, McCoy influence in this track. very good guess...

4. Same here.

here, there, and everywhere.

not Martino. i wouldn't necessarily say you're "way off." but i wouldn't've thought of Martino... :w

another good guess. this guy is, i'd guess, about one generation more recent.

not Hines.

9. Gentle piano --- something from ECM maybe? Paul Bley? Heck, for all I know it could be Brubeck. This is a real blind spot for me.

not ECM. definitely gentle...

thanks for checking in stefan. look forward to your other responses...

Time to finish this off...

8 Maybe trying a little too hard to sound like Miles, especially toward the end, but still a wonderful sound. Feels like a prelude or coda to something.

9 This is some fairly recent pop tune, isn't it? And I'm dated by my failure to recognize it. These kids and their music today, I tell ya.... Once again, the ECM vibe.

10 Doesn't do much for me. I've never responded well to the Breckeresque style of tenor playing.

11 Trumpet sounds a little like Art Farmer. Hey, that's Lee Konitz, isn't it? (Or a very close disciple, such as Gary Foster.) I'm stumped. Maybe a recording from Europe, with Attila Zoller? Love the arrangement.

12 I like the soprano. I don't like the tenor, despite the beautiful tone -- he's too eager to bring it to a climax right NOW. Double entendre intended.

13 Husky tenor. Cherryish trumpet. This is fun!

14 Two guitarists, or one overdubbed? The beautiful tune sounds like it could be a movie theme. A sweet way to end.

Thank you! Can't wait to see the answers.

for me, the coolest thing about these BFTs are the absent musicians that the present music brings to mind.

Yeah!

8 Maybe trying a little too hard to sound like Miles, especially toward the end, but still a wonderful sound. Feels like a prelude or coda to something.

9 This is some fairly recent pop tune, isn't it? And I'm dated by my failure to recognize it. These kids and their music today, I tell ya.... Once again, the ECM vibe.

10 Doesn't do much for me. I've never responded well to the Breckeresque style of tenor playing.

11 Trumpet sounds a little like Art Farmer. Hey, that's Lee Konitz, isn't it? (Or a very close disciple, such as Gary Foster.) I'm stumped. Maybe a recording from Europe, with Attila Zoller? Love the arrangement.

12 I like the soprano. I don't like the tenor, despite the beautiful tone -- he's too eager to bring it to a climax right NOW. Double entendre intended.

14 Two guitarists, or one overdubbed? The beautiful tune sounds like it could be a movie theme. A sweet way to end.

for me, the coolest thing about these BFTs are the absent musicians that the present music brings to mind.

Yeah!

awesome spontoon! just finishing up my lunch break @ work so can't respond in detail right now. will get back tonight...

Edited by thedwork

ahoy stefan...

this is not one of the "gimmies" so not Lonnie or the other guesses. this artist, i think, is not too well known. but i could be wrong. i came to know him through his work as a sideman in a quite different environment...

Not McCoy (or Jamal). but there's a lot of obvious, and possibly intentional, McCoy influence in this track. very good guess...

4. Same here.

here, there, and everywhere.

not Martino. i wouldn't necessarily say you're "way off." but i wouldn't've thought of Martino... :w

another good guess. this guy is, i'd guess, about one generation more recent.

not Hines.

not ECM. definitely gentle...

thanks for checking in stefan. look forward to your other responses...

Sorry for the delay, I need to finalize my responses.

9. Listening to this one again, I'm wondering if it is Toshiko Akiyoshi.

10. I like this one. Starts off soft, then the bass then drums kick in and we're off. Again, I am clueless. Steve Lehman? Or John Carter?

11. Guitar and trumpets. Sounds like Jim Hall on guitar, but ?? on the trumpets.

12. Beautiful playing!!! Kinda Konitzish. But more biting. No clue. Geez, I'm terrible.....

13. Answer already given above in the thread. I'll have to revisit that album....

14. Beautiful, but again, I haven't a clue.

Edited by Stefan Wood

In the immortal words of Sweets, “Yes it’s me and I’m late again.” But the old lady lookin’ out the window knows better than to ask my opinion of the BFT because she already knows the clueless responses she’s gonna get!

Track 1: I’m gonna be bold and say this is the new incarnation of our gracious hosts with the drummer’s dad wailing away on the sax. I don’t know of any other organ group that sounds like Organissimo, so maybe Jim & Co. have a legitimate case against these guys if it isn’t Organissimo! Except that I don’t hear a guitar, so…. Oh heck, I don’t care. That’s my answer and I’m sticking with it!

Track 2: No clue, but it’s a piano trio. A very NICE piano trio! One that I might just seek out once this is all done! Won’t go so far as to say it’s the real thing, but all players are of one mindset of paying a well-executed tribute to the Tyner-Garrison-Jones rhythm section; they play as one, which is refreshing!

Track 3: AAARARRRRGGGHHHH!!!!!!! I’ve heard this before! I know I have! And I’m gonna freakin’ kick myself to the moon for not remembering who this is! Egad, I hope it occurs to me before this is all over with! OH! OH! OH!!!!! I know who it is! It’s that Joshua Redman record with Billy Higgins on drums, lemme see here….NO!!! SCRATCH THAT!!! It’s Joe Henderson from that Miles Davis record he did for Verve! THAT’S why it sounds familiar: because I stupidly traded it away years ago! {{{MEGA-SIGH}}} I never learn!!!

Track 4: No idea, but I am loving the fact that it’s a guitar in place of a piano for the chordal instrument. Some of my favorite jazz is like that. Clarinet, eh? Kenny Davern?

Track 5: Oh, where have I heard this tune before? I don’t know this particularly lovely version. Sounds like a tune from Herbie Hancock’s BLOW UP. Or a Joe Henderson tune. Sure is nice, though; the kinda thing that would provide the perfect soundscape for a walk in the autumn sunset.

Track 6: Some good ol’ fashioned BOP! Wanna say this is one of JJ’s final recordings. Good stuff!

Track 7: Someone who loves him/her some Fatha or some Teddy Wilson. But it sounds like they’re playing an electric piano set to acoustic settings. Not sure why.

Track 8: The brevity suggests a solo snippet or an interlude from one of Miles Davis’ Gil Evans records. Maybe one of the outtakes from the Miles/Gil box? But it sure makes a nice prelude to the next track, so good programming choice there, Dwork!

Track 9: Couldn’t tell you who this is, but I can tell you the feeling that it evokes, which is one of wistful longing, and I usually only get that from certain George Winston albums. I’m not sure if this is him because I’m not THAT much of a GW collector. My only other guess would be Bill Evans, who also has that kind of power over me. It’s lovely, regardless, one that I’ll likely pursue after this is all over with!

Track 10: There’s a little run up the tenor sax when this thing really starts flying that suggests Sonny Rollins or a reasonable facsimile. (I’m starting to see a trend here!) Wait, maybe that’s a bass clarinet?

Track 11: Did Nicholas Payton, Russell Malone, & Christian McBride ever make another record besides the Herbie Hancock record? Ah well, guess it’s a moot point now that there’s a tenor sax goin’ at it. Well, who says it can’t be the same trio with an added horn? I can only dream!

Track 12: Well, we finally hit our first dud of the bunch for me. The alto sax is too wobbly for my tastes. (I know, I know, this coming from a guy who loves Dudu Phukwana’s squawking on Hugh Masekela’s HOME IS WHERE THE MUSIC IS) Actually, it’s a lotta things too much for my taste, and the piano player only seems to encourage him. Ah well, I know there’s a lotta folks who dig this, so that’s cool. I’ll just move on!

Track 13: Ah HAH!!!! I knew I’d eventually hear it! Full disclosure time: in the midst of my tiredness last night, I opened up this thread, which is never a good idea because a) knowing the answers doesn’t help me and b) if I see something I’m gonna guess correctly, then that takes away the thrill of the discovery. I saw that someone had guessed Rollins/Cherry from “3 for Jazz,” which I have on the Sonny RCA box. Still, I thought it would go by me because I’ve listened to those particular tracks a total of zero times. However, now that I’m listening, I have to believe I woulda recognized Sonny, which woulda made me realize there’s no piano on this track, and then I woulda heard the drum solo and instantly KNOWN that was Smilin’ Billy, which woulda led me to realize that’s Don Cherry, which woulda led me to the conclusion that this was Sonny Rollins from the RCA box. But that’s as far as I woulda gotten. So, I get a point for guessing the players, but not the album, and I get another point for honesty. So there! (I consider this the BFT equivalent of NPR’s “Wait Wait Don’t Tell Me”):D:lol::g

Track 14: There just isn’t enough acoustic guitar in jazz, as far as I’m concerned. I’m gonna guess Peter Leitch, and then I’m gonna seek this out once this is all over with. It’s been a loooooooooooong time since a BFT threatened my wallet this badly!

Track 15: Wait…. That’s it???? There’s no track 15??? Aw man! Track 14 was such a lovely ending to a wonderful BFT, and it’s a testament to how much fun I was having that I’m this disappointed it’s over. Phooey! Guess I gotta go back and listen again!

After I read everyone’s comments.

And especially after I’ve kicked myself a few hundred times!

A fantastic BFT, thedwork!!! Gonna get a LOT of enjoyment out of repeated listenings to this one!

points! lovely tune and i actually don't have any other recordings of it.

THAT'S why it sounded familiar. Spoon, are you also thinking of the version from Buster's SOMETHING MORE album? Hadn't heard that one in a long time, so it was surprising to me that the tune was so familiar. I don't have any other version of it either, so now I'm really curious about the source of this particular recording.

The “day or two” period in which I was planning to post the rest of my responses turned into a week or two. Darn you, real life! I haven't looked at this thread since my first post. Lots of excellent music in this BFT. As usual, I liked some of it more than others, but there was nothing I disliked. Except for track 13, which I’ve already posted about, I didn’t recognize anyone, except for maybe on track 8.

1. Loves me some B3! This cooks, but it cooks just enough “outside the box” that I really dig it. I like the fact the drummer was pretty restrained during his over-the-vamp solo. Yes to this track.

2. I hear Hancockian and Tynerian touches here and there, but I don’t know know who it is. (It’s not Herbie or McCoy.) Very good trio music. The coda gets pretty hot.

3. The first thing I noticed was the tenor player’s nice sound. Then I noticed what a good, assured player he was. Then I noticed that I hate the way the bassist was recorded. But he’s good, as is the drummer, and the track is good. I would have enjoyed a little more of a head of steam, but I suppose that’s not what the track was about, at least the these players.

4. Some mighty fine clarinet playing, but I don’t know by whom. Nice cooking tune with good playing all around. Looking forward to some answers on this one.

5. This almost has pieces of a couple different standards, but it’s probably an original by the guitarist. His or her sound reminded me of Grant Green’s but it’s not Grant, of course. A lovely piece of music, whoever it’s by.

6. Excellent, excellent! Nothing innovative here –just Jazz with a capital “J.” There’s nothing I don’t like here, but the alto player’s solo seemed particularly well-constructed to me. But it’s all good. Two thumbs up.

7. Some fine nouveau-stride playing – very entertaining. Is it played on a Bosendorfer piano? A couple of notes sound like they’re below the bottom note of a standard piano. Enjoyed this one.

8. Well, it sure sounds like Miles, but I can’t imagine what it is. I thought for a hot minute that it was one of those weird outtakes from the Miles/Gil Evans box, but I went through the box and couldn’t find anything like it. It sounds like Miles to me for several reasons, not least because he was the only trumpeter I've ever heard who got a completely “hollow” sound with a Harmon mute – everyone else has at least a little buzz in their sound with a stem-out Harmon. I’m looking forward to finding out about this.

9. Wow – gorgeous! I love the simplicity, with just the right amount of build near the end. This piece didn’t need to be any more than what it was.

10. Hmmm.... It’s good – nice sounds by everybody – but I kept waiting for it to go somewhere more. This track left me slightly disappointed.

11. Odd! They’re all good players, but the free/straight head is so bizarre that it sounds like a joke to me. Maybe I should give this one a few more listens.

12. This performance builds nicely. Strong, penetrating sound by the saxophonist, on both soprano and tenor. I like this.

13. See post #2.

14. This track got me thinking about context. My first reaction was, yeah this is nice – attractive and well-played – but I wouldn’t have to hear it again. But I realized that if it was, say, the last track of a beautiful, moving album, I’d really enjoy it. Hearing music in the context of a BFT test is a strange experience in some ways.

Good one, thedwork - I enjoyed it.

(Edited to add a missing pronoun.)

Edited by jeffcrom

yeah - the connection between Miles and the harmon-on-trumpet sound is tough to dissociate. but after you listen to this player for a while you start to recognize him fairly quickly. i know i do now. and yeah, it feels like "a prelude or coda to something," but it's its own track on the cd. this artist may have envisioned the whole cd as one long piece which would semi-explain the truncated feeling of this piece...

i could agree w/ the "ECM vibe" i guess, but it's not a recent pop tune. i'll check liner notes (if i can find them :crazy:), but pretty sure this is an original.

Brecker, eh?

all good guesses and i can see how you'd think of a couple of those guys but none correct. and yeah, that arrangement is effin' cool, right?!

me too spontoon. i preferred the soprano playing in this performance to the tenor. i feel it fits the composition better. but this guy is rather - how shall i say - proficient on the tenor as well. i just love the head on this tune and the beginning interplay between the soprano and piano at the top of the solo section is beautiful to my ear.

fun indeed. and the trumpet is very "cherry-ish." it is Don Cherry! 2nd ID of the BFT. points for the spontoon man...

pretty sure it's one overdubbed. agreed on the beauty. and i never thought of this as a possible movie theme, but now that you mention it, definitely :)

Yeah!

Edited by thedwork

Sorry for the delay, I need to finalize my responses.

9. Listening to this one again, I'm wondering if it is Toshiko Akiyoshi.

not Toshiko.

10. I like this one. Starts off soft, then the bass then drums kick in and we're off. Again, I am clueless. Steve Lehman? Or John Carter?

yeah, this one's all about the rhythm section for me - the shifting feels/time. not Lehman or Carter, but Lehman is an excellent guess and i love that he is mentioned in my BFT...

11. Guitar and trumpets. Sounds like Jim Hall on guitar, but ?? on the trumpets.

not Hall but i can see how you'd think of him w/ that nice dry, but still full, sound and sweet comping.

12. Beautiful playing!!! Kinda Konitzish. But more biting. No clue. Geez, I'm terrible.....

definitely not Konitz. funny, someone guessed Konitz on the previous track...

13. Answer already given above in the thread. I'll have to revisit that album....

14. Beautiful, but again, I haven't a clue.

2nd person to the adjective "beautiful" to describe this track, and i'll say again that i agree. and not having a clue on this one is no surprise. i feel that folks here who know a little bit about this guy will be somewhat shocked. and folks here who count themselves as fans of, or knowledgable about, this guy but just don't know this track will also be very surprised.

I came in late so I've only had one good listen. I have to say that there probably isn't anything that I will rush out to buy BUT listening on the deck with a cold beer, this was a great soundtrack to a beautiful evening in Nebraska.

My favorite tracks were the three solos and the track that followed them.

I don't have anything like it in my collection but I'm always attracted to the style of playing as on track #7.

Track #8 is a pretty little piece. Sounds a little like Miles but I guess alot of them sound a little like Miles. Actually, this person kind of sounds familiar. I am going to listen some more to this and maybe it will come to me. Or maybe I'm just full of it.

Track #9 is another pretty piece that sound familiar. Very nice.

I am going to take a step back from my earlier comment. The album from track #10 is something I might have to check out further. I've listened to this one several times and it is really growing on me. I like the bass clarinet (that is what it is, no) to start with.

Thanks for the music, thework. I very much enjoyed the BFT.

I don't get any comments to my guesses/ramblings? :(

of course you do :)

In the immortal words of Sweets, “Yes it’s me and I’m late again.” But the old lady lookin’ out the window knows better than to ask my opinion of the BFT because she already knows the clueless responses she’s gonna get!

Track 1: I’m gonna be bold and say this is the new incarnation of our gracious hosts with the drummer’s dad wailing away on the sax. I don’t know of any other organ group that sounds like Organissimo, so maybe Jim & Co. have a legitimate case against these guys if it isn’t Organissimo! Except that I don’t hear a guitar, so…. Oh heck, I don’t care. That’s my answer and I’m sticking with it!

i wish i had inside info on the Big O, but this in fact not a new incarnation of "Jim & Co."

Track 2: No clue, but it’s a piano trio. A very NICE piano trio! One that I might just seek out once this is all done! Won’t go so far as to say it’s the real thing, but all players are of one mindset of paying a well-executed tribute to the Tyner-Garrison-Jones rhythm section; they play as one, which is refreshing!

i agree. these three definitely play as a group on this track, and the rest of the record. this is probably the best cut on the cd but the rest is almost as good. for me, it's a keeper. lots of folks here mentioning Tyner on this one, and w/ good reason. though it is, of course, not him.

Track 3: AAARARRRRGGGHHHH!!!!!!! I’ve heard this before! I know I have! And I’m gonna freakin’ kick myself to the moon for not remembering who this is! Egad, I hope it occurs to me before this is all over with! OH! OH! OH!!!!! I know who it is! It’s that Joshua Redman record with Billy Higgins on drums, lemme see here….NO!!! SCRATCH THAT!!! It’s Joe Henderson from that Miles Davis record he did for Verve! THAT’S why it sounds familiar: because I stupidly traded it away years ago! {{{MEGA-SIGH}}} I never learn!!!

Yea! this comment is a beautiful thing and put a big smile across my face. all the guys you mention here - Higgins, J. Redman, and Henderson - are big influences here. especially on the tenor player and the drummer. and those two players are the reason i wanted to include this track in the BFT.

Track 4: No idea, but I am loving the fact that it’s a guitar in place of a piano for the chordal instrument. Some of my favorite jazz is like that. Clarinet, eh? Kenny Davern?

yeah, this guitarist is a terrific accompanist w/ a great harmonic sense and feel. and this tune is his own. excellent soloist as well. and i had to check my liner notes to make sure, but it lists soprano, not clarinet. though it certainly sounds like it could be. i'm pretty sure this guy played essentially all reeds so maybe it was just left off the notes? not Davern.

Track 5: Oh, where have I heard this tune before? I don’t know this particularly lovely version. Sounds like a tune from Herbie Hancock’s BLOW UP. Or a Joe Henderson tune. Sure is nice, though; the kinda thing that would provide the perfect soundscape for a walk in the autumn sunset.

yup. beautiful tune, played beautifully. i thought someone would be able to ID this artist. we'll. we maybe have a few stragglers left who could pull it out... :w

Track 6: Some good ol’ fashioned BOP! Wanna say this is one of JJ’s final recordings. Good stuff!

yeah - straight-ahead blowing on some nice changes. not JJ...

Track 7: Someone who loves him/her some Fatha or some Teddy Wilson. But it sounds like they’re playing an electric piano set to acoustic settings. Not sure why.

i don't have much, but all my money is on this definitely being played a real grand. this track came out on a tribute album w/ many different artists paying homage to one particular artist and, if i remember right, playing his tunes. i guess that's kind of a hint... but not a real good one.

Track 8: The brevity suggests a solo snippet or an interlude from one of Miles Davis’ Gil Evans records. Maybe one of the outtakes from the Miles/Gil box? But it sure makes a nice prelude to the next track, so good programming choice there, Dwork!

thanks man. i tried to create a "flow." your comment is similar to another poster so i'm gonna copy and paste my response: "yeah - the connection between Miles and the harmon-on-trumpet sound is tough to dissociate. but after you listen to this player for a while you start to recognize him fairly quickly. i know i do now. and yeah, it feels like "a prelude or coda to something," but it's its own track on the cd. this artist may have envisioned the whole cd as one long piece which would semi-explain the truncated feeling of this piece..."

Track 9: Couldn’t tell you who this is, but I can tell you the feeling that it evokes, which is one of wistful longing, and I usually only get that from certain George Winston albums. I’m not sure if this is him because I’m not THAT much of a GW collector. My only other guess would be Bill Evans, who also has that kind of power over me. It’s lovely, regardless, one that I’ll likely pursue after this is all over with!

real glad you enjoy this one Big Al. it is a beautiful thing. and i could see the Winston thing, but for me this is much more, and i dread using this word but it seems to fit here, sophisticated. there's more going on here harmonically, rhythmically, and conceptually than on Winston's stuff i'd say. for me this guy is "groovin' on a whole other plane" as Winwood would say. and i'd say you should definitely "pursue after this is all over with" as you mention 'cuz the rest of this cd is nothing but more of the same in terms of beauty. and the rest of the record is a bit more dense, but all still very beautiful.

Track 10: There’s a little run up the tenor sax when this thing really starts flying that suggests Sonny Rollins or a reasonable facsimile. (I’m starting to see a trend here!) Wait, maybe that’s a bass clarinet?

both bass clarinet and tenor. Not Rollins.

Track 11: Did Nicholas Payton, Russell Malone, & Christian McBride ever make another record besides the Herbie Hancock record? Ah well, guess it’s a moot point now that there’s a tenor sax goin’ at it. Well, who says it can’t be the same trio with an added horn? I can only dream!

"...To sleep, perchance to Dream; Ay, there's the rub."

Track 12: Well, we finally hit our first dud of the bunch for me. The alto sax is too wobbly for my tastes. (I know, I know, this coming from a guy who loves Dudu Phukwana’s squawking on Hugh Masekela’s HOME IS WHERE THE MUSIC IS) Actually, it’s a lotta things too much for my taste, and the piano player only seems to encourage him. Ah well, I know there’s a lotta folks who dig this, so that’s cool. I’ll just move on!

"Oh... Central America and whatnot. Moving on..." finally someone calls out a dud! the duderino. yup. if everyone liked the same stuff this would be an even weirder world than it already is.

Track 13: Ah HAH!!!! I knew I’d eventually hear it! Full disclosure time: in the midst of my tiredness last night, I opened up this thread, which is never a good idea because a) knowing the answers doesn’t help me and b) if I see something I’m gonna guess correctly, then that takes away the thrill of the discovery. I saw that someone had guessed Rollins/Cherry from “3 for Jazz,” which I have on the Sonny RCA box. Still, I thought it would go by me because I’ve listened to those particular tracks a total of zero times. However, now that I’m listening, I have to believe I woulda recognized Sonny, which woulda made me realize there’s no piano on this track, and then I woulda heard the drum solo and instantly KNOWN that was Smilin’ Billy, which woulda led me to realize that’s Don Cherry, which woulda led me to the conclusion that this was Sonny Rollins from the RCA box. But that’s as far as I woulda gotten. So, I get a point for guessing the players, but not the album, and I get another point for honesty. So there! (I consider this the BFT equivalent of NPR’s “Wait Wait Don’t Tell Me”):D:lol::g

Trebek says points allowed! :g

Track 14: There just isn’t enough acoustic guitar in jazz, as far as I’m concerned. I’m gonna guess Peter Leitch, and then I’m gonna seek this out once this is all over with. It’s been a loooooooooooong time since a BFT threatened my wallet this badly!

not Leitch. and as i said before, this one may really surprise folks. i've loved this track since i was a teenager but it is not at all the style he is known for...

Track 15: Wait…. That’s it???? There’s no track 15??? Aw man! Track 14 was such a lovely ending to a wonderful BFT, and it’s a testament to how much fun I was having that I’m this disappointed it’s over. Phooey! Guess I gotta go back and listen again!

After I read everyone’s comments.

And especially after I’ve kicked myself a few hundred times!

A fantastic BFT, thedwork!!! Gonna get a LOT of enjoyment out of repeated listenings to this one!

sooooooo glad to hear it Big Al. sharing music makes me happy, and when folks dig it, it's that much better...

excellent comments jeff. will get to responding sometime tomorrow...

The “day or two” period in which I was planning to post the rest of my responses turned into a week or two. Darn you, real life! I haven't looked at this thread since my first post. Lots of excellent music in this BFT. As usual, I liked some of it more than others, but there was nothing I disliked. Except for track 13, which I’ve already posted about, I didn’t recognize anyone, except for maybe on track 8.

1. Loves me some B3! This cooks, but it cooks just enough “outside the box” that I really dig it. I like the fact the drummer was pretty restrained during his over-the-vamp solo. Yes to this track.

2. I hear Hancockian and Tynerian touches here and there, but I don’t know know who it is. (It’s not Herbie or McCoy.) Very good trio music. The coda gets pretty hot.

3. The first thing I noticed was the tenor player’s nice sound. Then I noticed what a good, assured player he was. Then I noticed that I hate the way the bassist was recorded. But he’s good, as is the drummer, and the track is good. I would have enjoyed a little more of a head of steam, but I suppose that’s not what the track was about, at least the these players.

4. Some mighty fine clarinet playing, but I don’t know by whom. Nice cooking tune with good playing all around. Looking forward to some answers on this one.

5. This almost has pieces of a couple different standards, but it’s probably an original by the guitarist. His or her sound reminded me of Grant Green’s but it’s not Grant, of course. A lovely piece of music, whoever it’s by.

6. Excellent, excellent! Nothing innovative here –just Jazz with a capital “J.” There’s nothing I don’t like here, but the alto player’s solo seemed particularly well-constructed to me. But it’s all good. Two thumbs up.

7. Some fine nouveau-stride playing – very entertaining. Is it played on a Bosendorfer piano? A couple of notes sound like they’re below the bottom note of a standard piano. Enjoyed this one.

8. Well, it sure sounds like Miles, but I can’t imagine what it is. I thought for a hot minute that it was one of those weird outtakes from the Miles/Gil Evans box, but I went through the box and couldn’t find anything like it. It sounds like Miles to me for several reasons, not least because he was the only trumpeter I've ever heard who got a completely “hollow” sound with a Harmon mute – everyone else has at least a little buzz in their sound with a stem-out Harmon. I’m looking forward to finding out about this.

9. Wow – gorgeous! I love the simplicity, with just the right amount of build near the end. This piece didn’t need to be any more than what it was.

10. Hmmm.... It’s good – nice sounds by everybody – but I kept waiting for it to go somewhere more. This track left me slightly disappointed.

11. Odd! They’re all good players, but the free/straight head is so bizarre that it sounds like a joke to me. Maybe I should give this one a few more listens.

12. This performance builds nicely. Strong, penetrating sound by the saxophonist, on both soprano and tenor. I like this.

13. See post #2.

14. This track got me thinking about context. My first reaction was, yeah this is nice – attractive and well-played – but I wouldn’t have to hear it again. But I realized that if it was, say, the last track of a beautiful, moving album, I’d really enjoy it. Hearing music in the context of a BFT test is a strange experience in some ways.

i like the drummer's playing over the vamp and in general too. but i would say that i think he over-emphasizes, or "parrots," the hits through the head too much. i'd've preferred a little more straight time through that or less overt accents. but that's the anal-retentive control freak composer side of my personality coming through...

i haven't looked back thru yet, but i think maybe evryone who has responded so far has mentioned Tyner. is that some kind of record? and yup - that closing vamp is a beautiful thing. "burning," as they say...

yeah, the tenor, bass, and drummer you mention are all excellent musicians. and it was actually the bassist's date so too bad about not liking the recorded sound of his instrument. and this is his original composition. if i remember correctly, he played an electric upright for this recording. but that could be wrong...

looking forward to giving some :excited: and agian w/ the clarinet guess instead of soprano as it's listed in the notes. it really does sound like clarinet, doesn't it?!

another correct ID - it is, indeed, not Grant Green! couldn't resist the cheesy joke. forgive me? not an original from the guitarist.

yup - another one you could maybe describe as "burning." i really like the bone player on this one - and the drummer and the pianist...

yeah - this is very fine playing. obviously not pushing through any boundaries here. just superb interpretation and playing. don't know if it's a bosendorfer...

yep - see my earlier responses to others about this track. i'll be interested to see the reactions to finding out who this is. ie: "Huh? never heard of him..." or, "Damn! How could I not recognize him!" or, "Oh. I've heard of him. Maybe I'll check him out..." we'll see. i see him as a very big fish (the biggest fish?) in a small to medium sized pond. not Wadada.

yeah - it's very poetic in it's "only what's needed" vibe.

i could see the letdown. and i myself may have felt that on the first couple listenings too. but as i keep hearing it (and other stuff by this group), i like it more. the shifts in feel and time are just so cool and precise, but still somehow loose.

i agree the "free/straight head" is kinda bizarre and could be seen as a type of musical joke - but damn it's fucking cool as hell too, aint' it?! i fucking love the idea. it's almost like they did a "regular" take and used faders in the mix to create the effect of the "sections" trading off of each other. i also just really like the playing, writing, and tone of all these players.

:tup

13. See post #2.

context is a bitch. somehow to my ear/sensibility this fits here. maybe 'cuz of some of the previous material in the BFT.

yea!

Edited by thedwork

I came in late so I've only had one good listen. I have to say that there probably isn't anything that I will rush out to buy BUT listening on the deck with a cold beer, this was a great soundtrack to a beautiful evening in Nebraska.

it's all about Nebraska man!

My favorite tracks were the three solos and the track that followed them.

I don't have anything like it in my collection but I'm always attracted to the style of playing as on track #7.

Track #8 is a pretty little piece. Sounds a little like Miles but I guess alot of them sound a little like Miles. Actually, this person kind of sounds familiar. I am going to listen some more to this and maybe it will come to me. Or maybe I'm just full of it.

i hope it comes to you. very creative player/artist.

Track #9 is another pretty piece that sound familiar. Very nice.

the whole recording is this lovely.

I am going to take a step back from my earlier comment. The album from track #10 is something I might have to check out further. I've listened to this one several times and it is really growing on me. I like the bass clarinet (that is what it is, no) to start with.

yep - bass clarinet. this is one of the strongest tracks from the album but i would say the entire thing is worth having. three of my favorite players forming a "super group" of sorts i'd say.

Thanks for the music, thework. I very much enjoyed the BFT.

you're welcome :tup

Edited by thedwork