'Requiem' by Branford Marsalis.

tonym

Now I am aware that this particular Marsalis has had his fair share of detractors and his comments have often been on the controversial side. But I put this album on the other day while I was getting ready to go out; I bought it when it was first issued and played it endlessly for a few months only to then slot it between 'Citizen Tain' and some other 'young lions'' disc and never put it on again....For some reason....

I think this is actually a pretty good piece. There is one track which starts off with a simple 5 note riff and develops into a great slice of 'free'/hard - bop.

There is great playing all around (his tone on tenor is unique I think, can't quite put my finger on who he has been influenced by) and some of the material is brilliant (of course, you have Motian's 'Trieste').

Now that I am in amongst all you guys in the know, I just wondered what you think of this one. Do you have it? / Does he wind you up (but you like his music)?

I'd appreciate your thoughts on this/him no matter how inflammatory.

cheers, tonym.

I bought it pretty soon as I was afraid it would be deleted as fast as it was released, and I always thought that Branford's working band with Kenny Kirkland and Tain was a great one, developping their own take on modern jazz playing with a very personal note. Kirkland's premature death - he was one of the best post-Hancock pianist, not just an imitator - must have been a great loss to Marsalis. I like it and think they deserve some credit for their taking chances.