Pete Petersen's "Playin' in the Park"

DIS

I'm of very little help because I too have the CD (and it's pretty good), and you're right - no arrangers are listed. Track 8 "Down Home" is probably a Shorty Rogers chart since it's a Shorty original.

Is Pete Peterson still around? Why not do a google search, email him and ask him.

P.S. Well, there you go. Jim nails it, as usual. Yes, Don Schamber, recognize his name from somewhere - a Chicago based arranger, IIRC.

Edited by John Tapscott

Many thanks. I'm sort of a collector of big-band arrangements, so this is exactly what I was looking for.

Here's the lineup for Pete Petersen's Playin' in the Park:

1. A Beautiful Friendship, arr. Rick Stitzel (3:11)

2. I'm Getting Sentimental Over You, arr. Don Schamber (4:29)

3. Speak Low, arr. Don Schamber (3:54)

4. I'll Close My Eyes, arr. Don Schamber (4:35)

5. Seems Like Old Times, arr. Frank Mantooth (2:56)

6. Take the "A" Train, arr. Don Schamber (4:45)

7. How Long Has This Been Going On, arr. Don Schamber (6:16)

8. Down Home, arr. Shorty Rogers (5:39)

9. After You've Gone, arr. Don Schamber (4:04)

• 1 year later...

Don Schamber spent most of the latter part (30 years or so) of his career as the head of the music department at a Coastal California community college (Monterey Peninsula College, Monterey, CA) where many of these charts were written and first performed by his auditioned student and community big band. I know this because he was my band director there both while I was a student and after I returned from university. I was in the band at the time that several of the above charts were created and was honored to be a part of his fine organization. He was a fabulous musician, as well as a wonderful man and mentor. He passed a few years ago, but thanks to Mr. Petersen his music lives on.

Thanks for the mini biography. I don't know that Don Schamber's arrangements were ever recorded by the really big name bands, but he was certainly a very deserving writer. You can hear several more of his charts recorded by Rob Parton's big band. I've taken a real liking to his charts. Another unheralded composer-arranger whom I compare Schamber to is Carroll DeCamp.