Tommy Watt with Tubby Hayes on Bethlehem

Head Man

I noticed on the back of one of the OBI strips that came with some Bethlehem releases I received recently that there's a release in the current series called "Watt's Cooking" by Tommy Watts with Tubby Hayes. When I looked at Amazon I see the same(?) album is available from Vocalion.

A couple of questions:

1) Anyone know how this album came to be released on Bethlehem? I believe it was originally released on Parlaphone in the UK.

2) More importantly....what's it like?

I noticed on the back of one of the OBI strips that came with some Bethlehem releases I received recently that there's a release in the current series called "Watt's Cooking" by Tommy Watts with Tubby Hayes. When I looked at Amazon I see the same(?) album is available from Vocalion.

A couple of questions:

1) Anyone know how this album came to be released on Bethlehem? I believe it was originally released on Parlaphone in the UK.

Unfortunately can`t help with the info - nevertheless worth mentioning, after ordering a batch of Bethlehem CD`s from Japan I received as "Bonus" a sort of Beermat (!!) graced with the Cover of "Watt`s Cooking" :o

A couple of questions:

Unfortunately can`t help with the info - nevertheless worth mentioning, after ordering a batch of Bethlehem CD`s from Japan I received as "Bonus" a sort of Beermat (!!) graced with the Cover of "Watt`s Cooking" :o

Does it play at 45 or 33 1/3 rpm? :)

A couple of questions:

Does it play at 45 or 33 1/3 rpm? :)

depends on the number of beers sipped, I suppose ;)

PS While still not answering your question, the catalogue sent via forementioned order (unfortunately only in japanese) has this item not as part of the CDSOL 6001-6150 numbering systen, but it`s release number is CDSOL-6000S5 (it`s marketed on the back side of the catalogue together with The Australian Jazz Quintet "Three Penny Opera" CDSOL 60000S6) - are these possibly "bonus" CD`s for japanese customers ??

PS2 Can`t find both CD`s neither on HMV.jp nor on CDJapan`s website.......

Edited by soulpope

PS While still not answering your question, the catalogue sent via forementioned order (unfortunately only in japanese) has this item not as part of the CDSOL 6001-6150 numbering systen, but it`s release number is CDSOL-6000S5 (it`s marketed on the back side of the catalogue together with The Australian Jazz Quintet "Three Penny Opera" CDSOL 60000S6) - are these possibly "bonus" CD`s for japanese customers ??

Ah, perhaps that's the answer then. .... a "freebie". That might also answer my query as to how good it is!

Ah, perhaps that's the answer then. .... a "freebie". That might also answer my query as to how good it is!

some more infos on subject record here :

http://ronnierossmusic.blogspot.co.at/2009/07/tommy-watt-watts-cooking.html

@ Head Man : received with a little help from a japanese speaking friend following "enlightenment" :

The 35 CD`s of the March 2014 releases

http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/search/music/adv_1/barcodecatnum_CDSOL-61/category_1/x_0/y_0/

do carry a coupon (inside the booklet, me believe).

With five coupons your are entilted to ask for a freebie, which is either

Tommy Watt with Tubby Hayes "Watt`s Cooking" CDSOL-6000S5

or

The Australian Jazz Quintet "Three Penny Opera" CDSOL 60000S6

The catalogue specifically states, that this two releases and based on the numbering system the previous four items

CDSOL 6000S1 ???

CDSOL 6000S2 ???

CDSOL 6000S3 ???

CDSOL 6000S4 Mel Torme "California Suite"

will NOT see official release :(

How to proceed if being in possession of a sufficient number of coupons but not living in Japan is still questionable to me (there is an adress, FAX and Phonenumber...)

All in all the typical way how the Japanese Reissue Companies care for their domestic clients - which is fine for the latermentioned, but sometimes frustrating to us "mere mortals"......hope this was of help though....

I rest my case.

Edited by soulpope

@ Head Man : received with a little help from a japanese speaking friend following "enlightenment" :

The 35 CD`s of the March 2014 releases

http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/search/music/adv_1/barcodecatnum_CDSOL-61/category_1/x_0/y_0/

do carry a coupon (inside the booklet, me believe).

With five coupons your are entilted to ask for a freebie, which is either

Tommy Watt with Tubby Hayes "Watt`s Cooking" CDSOL-6000S5

or

The Australian Jazz Quintet "Three Penny Opera" CDSOL 60000S6

The catalogue specifically states, that this two releases and based on the numbering system the previous four items

CDSOL 6000S1 ???

CDSOL 6000S2 ???

CDSOL 6000S3 ???

CDSOL 6000S4 Mel Torme "California Suite"

will NOT see official release :(

How to proceed if being in possession of a sufficient number of coupons but not living in Japan is still questionable to me (there is an adress, FAX and Phonenumber...)

All in all the typical way how the Japanese Reissue Companies care for their domestic clients - which is fine for the latermentioned, but sometimes frustrating to us "mere mortals"......hope this was of help though....

I rest my case.

Since this Bethlehem/Solid series commenced there have been bonus CDs with each batch - usually a single CD but with the most recent lots they are offering 2

I've just had a friend in Japan translate the info on the OBI & indeed if you send 5 coupons you can choose one of the two promo only discs - you can get both with 10 coupons (these are on the right hand bottom corner of a middle page of the CD booklet)

You just cut these coupons from the booklet & send them to an address in Tokyo - unfortunately this offer is for for Japanese customers only

Luckily for me my friend in Japan has offered to send the coupons on for me (I've mailed them to her) to Solid/Verse Japan & they will send the discs to her & eventually they will get back to me

the series so far (5 releases)

CDSOL- 6000S Bethlehem's Girl Friends (LP 6006) (1st batch 6001- 6030 i.e. 30 releases)

CDSOL- 6000SS Donna Brooks - Soft & Slow (EP 104) (2nd batch 6031- 6060 i.e. 30 releases)

CDSOL- 6000SSS Marty Napoleon - Sings & Swings (EP 106) (3rd batch 6061- 6090 i.e. 30 releases)

CDSOL- 6000S4 Mel Torme - California Suite (LP 6016) (4th batch 6091- 6120 i.e. 30 releases)

CDSOL- 6000S5 Tommy Watt With Tubby Hayes - Watt's Cooking (LP 6062) (5th batch 6121- 6155 i.e. 35 releases)

CDSOL- 6000S6 AJQ - Three Penny Opera (LP 6062) (5th batch 6121- 6155 i.e. 35 releases)

nothing essential here but I wouldn't mind the AJQ & Tubby material