What Classical Music Are You Listening To?

StarThrower

• Replies 21.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• Referentzhunter

• HutchFan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Now playing, CD 20:
Antonio Vivaldi – L'estro armonico Op.3
— Simon Standage (violin), Micaela Comberti (violin), Jaap ter Linden (cello), Miles Golding (violin), Elizabeth Wilcock (violin) 
— The English Concert – Trevor Pinnock (Archiv Produktion)

MI0003026850.jpg?partner=allrovi.com  4790441.jpg

Edited by alankin

Now playing, CD 19:
Franz Liszt 
– 2 Polonaises for Piano S.223/2 in E major
– Scherzo for Piano in G minor S.153
– Nuages gris for Piano S.199
– 6 Consolations for Piano S.172/6 in E major Allegretto sempre cantabile
– 19 Hungarian Rhapsodies for Piano S.244/17 in D minor
– Klavierstück in F sharp major S.193
– Mephisto Polka for Piano S.217
– 12 Transcendental Etudes for Piano S.139/1 Preludio
– 12 Transcendental Etudes for Piano S.139/2 in A minor
– 12 Transcendental Etudes for Piano S.139/3 Paysage
– 12 Transcendental Etudes for Piano S.139/5 Feux follets
– 12 Transcendental Etudes for Piano S.139/7 Eroica
– 12 Transcendental Etudes for Piano S.139/8 Wilde Jagd
– 12 Transcendental Etudes for Piano S.139/11 Harmonies du soir
– 12 Transcendental Etudes for Piano S.139/10 in F minor
– 3 Concert Etudes for Piano S.144/3 in D flat Major Un sospiro
– 2 Concert Etudes for Piano S.145/2 Gnomenreigen
Sviatoslav Richter (Philips / Decca Music)

59137.jpg

Image result for arnold schoenberg: pierrot lunaire - cdNMC%20D071%20Woolrich.jpg?itok=FkcupT_zImage result for ultracash, the payment app icon

Heard the newly arranged 'Electra' suite on the radio last week and it jumped to the top of the list. I've always found the opera a tough listen but with the voices stripped away the music doesn't sound that different to the tone poems and you can hear quite clearly the link to 'Rosenkavalier'. I suspect that in the opera everything is so tense with lots of hysterical screeching that it can sound more challenging than it really is. 'The Rosenkavalier Suite' is the usual one from the 1940s...pity someone hadn't had a crack at 'Salome'.

Image result for harrison birtwistle - birtwistle: punch and judy  

Nothing like as scary as you are often led to believe - I was pulled in from the off and played both discs straight through without a break. Clearly structured around repeating (but varied) scenarios, much like in a nursery rhyme or ancient myth (the old three tests type thing) leading, surprisingly, to a happy ending (Punch gets the girl despite all the murders en route). Small scale chamber orchestra (not unlike a Britten orchestra) that is very well recorded so all the individual instruments stand out. It's not 'Madam Butterfly' so you'll not be humming the tunes - but a completely engaging piece. 

Just finished reading:

Image result for harrison birtwistle: wild tracks - a conversation diary

A set of interviews over a six month period - rambling, constantly going off track but very interesting, especially on his Lancashire origins and early days as a clarinet player and student in pit orchestras and as a student. I saw him interviewed in London a few years back and he was exactly the same as here - gnomic, a bit irritable but generally good humoured. He was writing his piano concerto while the interviews took place so details the problems he's having, the solutions he's come up with (though explained in a rather abstract way). Maddocks is brilliant at probing him, like a teacher with a reluctant schoolboy. Though she fails throughout to get him to say much about his school days which he clams up about again and again. 

This morning:

Image result for sound of music austria

Enjoying Symph 1 this morning. Symph 4 is a Late Romantic wonder and I've always been disappointed with the previous three by comparison which seem to work of earlier models. But, as ever, taken on its own terms....  

Edited by A Lark Ascending

16 hours ago, StarThrower said:

Keep your eye out at your local cinema - there's a Met broadcast of 'L'Amour De Loin' on Dec 10th (think that's worldwide). If they are showing it in the backwater where I live I'm sure it won't be far away from most places. 

7 hours ago, A Lark Ascending said:

Keep your eye out at your local cinema - there's a Met broadcast of 'L'Amour De Loin' on Dec 10th (think that's worldwide). If they are showing it in the backwater where I live I'm sure it won't be far away from most places. 

I haven't heard of any of those in my town, but I know they have showings 90 miles west in Rochester, NY. Anyway, i've been listening to many Saariaho pieces on YouTube, and so far i like Circle Map, 6 Japanese Gardens, and Laterna Magica. And her viola work, Vent Nocturne.

Edited by StarThrower

Now playing, CD 13:
Robert Schumann – Concerto for Piano in A minor Op.54
Evgeni Kissin — Wiener Philharmoniker – Carlo Maria Giulini

Robert Schumann – Arabeske for Piano in C major Op.18
Franz Liszt – Die Forelle (Schubert 2nd version) for Piano S.564, 9 Soirées de Vienne after Schubert S.427/6 Valse Caprice, Erlkönig (Schubert) for Piano S.558 No.4
Edvard Grieg – 3 Pictures from life in the country Op.19/3 Carnival Scene, Six Piano Pieces Arranged from Songs Op.41/3 "I love thee"
Evgeni Kissin (piano) (Sony Classical)

61jDp1IpZzL._SS500.jpg   81D78aCiyWL._SX522_.jpg

Starthrower wrote : I haven't heard of any of those in my town, but I know they have showings 90 miles west in Rochester, NY. Anyway, i've been listening to many Saariaho pieces on YouTube, and so far i like Circle Map, 6 Japanese Gardens, and Laterna Magica. And her viola work, Vent Nocturne.

(Can't get quote to work!)

I'm not sure if I'll go - I have a video of the piece and it is visually very static. There's a good CD with a sort of suite from the piece. I like the sound worlds that Saariaho creates and have a few records by her. But have yet to connect with a piece that makes me say 'this is wow!' But that's my unfamiliarity. Someone worth coming back to.

Image result for bach cantatas gardiner

I'm a bit late celebrating the Feast of the Reformation this year - 79/192/80 from disc 47. Trying to listen to these in vaguely calendar order from 3/4 through. Next week I get aligned with Advent.

Image result for schoenberg: suiteImage result for harry partch - harry partch collection vol. 2Image result for Bach Simon Preston

Both the Schoenberg pieces are very enjoyable - I've known the Chamber Symphony a long time and would nominate it as a good candidate for the 'so you think you don't like Schoenberg, well try this' award. The Suite is new to me.

Apart from the interest value of the Partch disc it also indicates where Carla Bley and Paul Haines were coming from in the late 60s/early 70s.

Disc 6 of the organ - various relatively short pieces.

This morning:

Image result for malmö symphony orchestra & vassily sinaisky - franz schmidt: symphony

Just the symphony - a bit Strauss, a bit Brahms in their sunny, genial moods. 

Image result for John Woolrich Leading WingsImage result for johnston: string quartets no 2, 3, 4

Image result for Mary WiegoldImage result for richard rodney bennett orchestral

All thoroughly engaging music from relatively recent times. Especially enjoyed the Mary Wiegold Songbook - a range of songs by contemporary (for 1990) British composers (including Keith Tippett!), interspersed with arrangements of John Dowland. 

And some shorter things off various discs - Birtwistle 'Refrains and Choruses' and 'Tragoedia'; string quatets by Nicholas Maw and Judith Weir. 

This morning:

Image result for mozart cosi fan tutte Barenboim

Extracts disc.