What Classical Music Are You Listening To?

StarThrower

• Replies 21.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• Referentzhunter

• HutchFan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, StarThrower said:

61IyNfheAKL.jpg

I listened to a bunch of Ravel pianists on YouTube, and I own recordings by Louis Lortie, and Thibaudet, but this Bavouzet set is just about the finest overall performance I've heard for piano sound, phrasing, and feel.

Superb performances .... regarding Ravel IMO close to Vlado Perlemuter on Nimbus ....

Nicholas Maw string quartet again.

Image result for Schoenberg Pelleas BoulezImage result for prokofiev: symphony no. 3; symphony no. 4 (original 1930 version)Image result for chandos records alexander nevsky op.78/scythian suite op.20/+ cd

No 4 of middle one.

Image result for Ben Johnston string quartets 5 10

Really taken to Johnston's very strange quartets - often reminiscent of Bartok, Ives and even Beethoven but employing microtonal and other effects that take them to other places. On an earlier disc he does strange things with 'Amazing Grace' in one quartet; hear we get a 'Danny Boy' after one too many Guinnesses.

Image result for mariinsky label die frau ohne schatten blu ray disc

Watched the video over the last three days an act at a time. I've been through this one about six times over the years (on CD and then video) and can't really warm to it. Opulent Strauss score as ever with some gorgeous sections but nothing quite sticks in mind (I played the suite afterwards to see if I could fix the main tunes but they still seem a bit Strauss-generic). Don't care for the plot at all - a strange fairy tale full of symbolism that moves between a fantasy land and the world of humans (in this production, a particularly ugly launderette). Strauss apparently thought very highly of it. I'm missing something. 

Image result for haitink vaughan williams symphonies

No. 4. Since hearing a live performance earlier this year, the 4th has shot up my personal RVW hot 100, up there with 2, 3, 5 and 6. Never noticed the similarity between the slow movement and Britten's Peter Grimes Passacaglia before, not composers I usually associate with one another. 

Image result for george crumb: makrokosmos volumes i & ii; otherworldly resonancesImage result for Hanns Eisler EditionImage result for Mary Wiegold songbook

Image result for works of arnold schoenbergImage result for Raphael Schoenberg

Just 'Twinkly Night' off the last. Disc 9 of the Eisler - vocal and orchestra pieces that range from the agit-prop to almost Richard Strauss. And who can resist a requiem entitled 'Lenin'?

This morning:

Image result for alina ibragimova bach

Edited by A Lark Ascending

Image result for haitink vaughan williams symphonies

The 'Sea Symphony'. Never my favourite RVW - always sounds like a bunch of public school boys and girls playing at being sailors (admittedly the sort of sailor likely to gaze skyward and mumble things about 'the soul'). RVW in his best rumi-cum-roar-um mode at the start. But it sounded nice whilst decorating - one needs to commune with the beyond when sticking on masking tape. .

Franz Schmidt - Symphony No. 3R-2598082-1292428597.jpeg.jpg

The two symphs. The 3rd is pleasant without remaining long in my mind; but the 4th is a Late-Romantic gem, very much of the world of Mahler or very early Schoenberg ' - 'Further Adventures of the Verklarte Nacht couple'. 

Image result for Prokofiev AlsopSchoenberg_Arditti.jpg

SQ 1 off latter.

Edited by A Lark Ascending