Return Of The Film Corner Thread

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 hours ago, kinuta said:

El Cuerpo : The Body - Oriol Paulo (2012)

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51PubyIA4IL._SX342_.jpg

Entertaining if unbelievable thriller.

It looks instantly Spanish, rich colour pallette and hyper twisty plot.

Very Brian De Palmeresque vibe.

Good one for your Spanish studies, Bill.

Gracias, Kinuta. I'll see if I can get hold of a copy.

14 hours ago, kinuta said:

Elle - Paul Verhoeven  (2016)

Very good film. Predictably great performance by the amazing Ms Huppert.

Thanks very much for the heads up, page. :)

I don't think it's released here yet. I must look out for it.

Edited by BillF

The Light Between Oceans - Derek Cianfrance (2016)

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/91/The_Light_Between_Oceans_poster.jpg

I liked the directors previous two films, Blue Valentine & The Place Beyond The Pines, and don't think this compares all that favourably.

The cinematography is beautiful and the three leads give powerfully emotional preformances. However the plot is easily read and the saccharine level a bit too high for me. Worth watching, especially for Alicia Vikander, but not a classic.

On 16-12-2016 at 9:41 PM, kinuta said:

Elle - Paul Verhoeven  (2016)

http://images.static-bluray.com/products/20/49689_1_large.jpg

Very good film. Predictably great performance by the amazing Ms Huppert.

Thanks very much for the heads up, page. :)

You're welcome. Did you think it was predictable? I guess it is different watching this as a woman. My (male) friend who watched it with me said I shouldn't 'perceive' it so much and keep a bit of distance while watching. (not sure perceive is the correct word in English but you'll probably get what I mean to say.) Basically I can't help that, it is the way I am, but with this movie it did get to me that I did. Still, it is probably a huge compliment to the makers and due to the great playing by Isabelle.

Edited by page

2 hours ago, kinuta said:

The Light Between Oceans - Derek Cianfrance (2016)

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/91/The_Light_Between_Oceans_poster.jpg

I liked the directors previous two films, Blue Valentine & The Place Beyond The Pines, and don't think this compares all that favourably.

The cinematography is beautiful and the three leads give powerfully emotional preformances. However the plot is easily read and the saccharine level a bit too high for me. Worth watching, especially for Alicia Vikander, but not a classic.

I'd like to think I'd sussed that out, which is why I didn't go to see it. ^_^

12 hours ago, page said:

You're welcome. Did you think it was predictable? I guess it is different watching this as a woman. My (male) friend who watched it with me said I shouldn't 'perceive' it so much and keep a bit of distance while watching. (not sure perceive is the correct word in English but you'll probably get what I mean to say.) Basically I can't help that, it is the way I am, but with this movie it did get to me that I did. Still, it is probably a huge compliment to the makers and due to the great playing by Isabelle.

I didn't think the plot was especially predictable. I thought there had to be some violence judging from the director's past films.

Isabelle Huppert always gives strong, nuanced performances. She is consistent, so it is easy to predict that a new film featuring her will have a good performance. That's why I used the expression ' Predictably great '. I wasn't talking about the film plot but her acting in the film.

You might like to watch ' Louder Than Bombs'. It didn't get a lot of publicity, but I thought it was a very solid drama, worth watching.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2217859/

2 hours ago, kinuta said:

I didn't think the plot was especially predictable. I thought there had to be some violence judging from the director's past films.

Isabelle Huppert always gives strong, nuanced performances. She is consistent, so it is easy to predict that a new film featuring her will have a good performance. That's why I used the expression ' Predictably great '. I wasn't talking about the film plot but her acting in the film.

You might like to watch ' Louder Than Bombs'. It didn't get a lot of publicity, but I thought it was a very solid drama, worth watching.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2217859/

I haven't seen Huppert in an English language film. Does she cope OK? I had some problems with Binoche's English in Clouds of Sils Maria.

13 hours ago, BillF said:

I haven't seen Huppert in an English language film. Does she cope OK? I had some problems with Binoche's English in Clouds of Sils Maria.

She sounds French. That doesn't bother me personally; I don't live in an English speaking environment and have long since adjusted to hearing English spoken primarily as a foreign language, to the extent that I've had to strip my spoken English of all the colourful vernacular of our sceptered isle to make myself understandable !

Edited by kinuta

End of the year list.

Films that stayed with me. In no special order.

The Handmaiden

Love & Friendship

Mustang

Tale Of Tales

Julieta

OJ Made In America

Elle/Things To Come

The Witch

Embrace Of The Serpent

Umimachi Diary aka My Little Sister

Childhood Of A Leader

Under The Shadow

Anomalisa

Anthropoid

I didn't manage to get 10 together this year. Here's my list in the order in which I saw them:

El Club (Chile)

La loi du marché (The Measure of a Man) (France)

Desde alla (From Afar) (Venezuela)

L'avenir (Things to Come) (France)

Hell or High Water (US)

Paterson (US)

i had this end of year list handy 

1.    Hail, Caesar! (2016)
2.    Saul fia (2015)
3.    Dheepan (2015)
4.    Elle (2016)
5.    The Circuit (2016 TV Movie UK, sharon horgan)
6.    Que Horas Ela Volta? (2015) "The Second Mother"
7.    The Survivalist (2015)
8.    The Gift (2015)
9.    Hello, My Name Is Doris (2015)
10.    Special Correspondents (2016 gervais)

Also:
Complete Unknown (2016)
High-Rise (2015)
Masterminds (2016)
David Brent: Life on the Road (2016 gervais)
Too Late (2015)
The Trust (2016)