Current Popularity of Jazz

Hot Ptah

13 hours ago, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

Yes, I know. I don't hold it against you, though :) We all have different taste.

I was, however, very disappointed about the Ami Koita. I bought that album in 1994, when it was moderately new - I think from the previous year. When I tried to play the K7 a few weeks ago, I found the tape had stretched. Most of them hold up better than that. So I tried to find a copy somewhere else on the web. No luck ANYWHERE, not even Discogs have heard of it. She's from Mali, Afriisa International was Tabu Ley's band from the Congo, and the album appears to have been recorded in Cote d'Ivoire. It's completely unlike anything either artist has ever done. But it worked!

Woe is me.

Dog walking time. Come on Rufus!

MG

Are you sure you have the title of that album right?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

Which album? I didn't mention the title of the Ami Koita, which is 'La sublime Ami Koita', and my reference to Rufus Thomas...

Don't get it.

MG

That album was released on CD in 2007. 

only three of the six tracks are on youtube

the album features in discographies as Djamba Kono

I can’t be sure of CD date as the reference I found may refer to the date the disk was entered on the afrisson database

http://www.afrisson.com/Ami-Koita-2038.html

5 hours ago, David Ayers said:

That album was released on CD in 2007. 

only three of the six tracks are on youtube

the album features in discographies as Djamba Kono

I can’t be sure of CD date as the reference I found may refer to the date the disk was entered on the afrisson database

http://www.afrisson.com/Ami-Koita-2038.html

Wow!!!!!!

Where is it for sale, David?

MG

Gotta admit, African spellings are moderately variable, even within Francophone countries. Between Francophone and Anglophone, they're usually wildly different; the spellings of Wolof, Mandinke, Soninke and Bambara words, even family names, between, on the one hand, Senegal, Guinea Conakry and Mali and, on the other, The Gambia.

French orthography is highly standardised and rule-based. English orthography is accent-based.

MG