Transcriptions, Radio Shows, V-Discs, Broadcasts

Berthold

In the last years I discovered those Transcriptions, Radio Shows, V-Discs, Broadcasts and the like for me personaly.

There is so many fine Music during the 30th, 40th or 50th with these records.

Some of my favorits are

- Duke Ellington Treasury Shows

- Duke Ellington The V-Discs

- Eddie Condon Townhall Concerts

- Benny Goodman (there is a lot of sessions) Camel Caravan Shows (and I can´t imagine, that such a Show with advertising for a cigarette Company is possible today)

And there are many other Sessions with Count Basie, Artie Shaw and many others.

What do you think about those Transcriptions, Radio Shows, V-Discs, Broadcasts? Is this still of interest for you?

Which one do you like?

Oh my ... If you lump in broadcasts (i.e. airshots) too then there is an awful lot from that period. Almost too much to be covered in any sensible maner bnecause obviously tastes differ widely.

One favorite category of non-commercial recordings from that period that I have always liked are the JUBILEE radio shows emceed by Ernie "The Stomach That Walks Like a Man" Whitman, whose chatter adds some "period" spice (if taken in moderate doses). ;)

Some fine, fine music by the black stars and bands from that era there ...

My experience as a jazz radio broadcaster probably colours my opinion, but over 4 decades and producing/recording more than 500 jazz events, I've found that there's a special quality to these types of recordings.

The players are in their natural element, just playing as they wish, without the pressures of the studio to consider ("Make it perfect!  Look at the clock -- we've got to get it before three o'clock!", etc.).  Yet, they know it's being recorded so there's not going to be just run-of-the-mill playing.  And, it's intended to be a bit ephemeral:  just aired once or twice so y'know, it's not for all-time.  (Except it is! ^_^)