February 20 at Dizzy's: A Love Supine: A Dixieland Love Supreme

AllenLowe

big crazy project with, among others: Frank Lacy, Nicole Glover, Kevin Ray, James Brandon Lewis, Randy Sandke, Brian Simontacchi, Lewis Porter, Lisa Parrott, Aaron Johnson, Paul Austerlitz, 2 sets, an examination of modernism and the single saxophone player.

as I posted elsewhere:doing everything from a New Orleans-styled funeral march to some Ellington-esque ballads, not to mention a Dixieland one-step composed on the changes of Giant Steps (working title:Tiger Rage); a little piece of ragtime dedicated to Joseph Lamb; a piece of Southern Dixie whimsy celebrating the Monroe Incident, in which a group of African Americans from North Carolina took up armed resistance against the Klan; Portraits of Frank Melrose, Pee Wee Russell, and Boyce Brown; Florence Mills, Roswell Rudd, Tommy Ladnier, and Vachel Lindsay, plus a sequel to our March of the Vipers, which we recorded at the Knitting Factory with Julius Hemphill 25 years ago. Also: a Ring Shout; Dave Schildkraut Visits Coltrane, who Dedicates a Song To Him; In the Midst; Tar Roof Blues; Tea with Jaki; Pyorrhea Stomp (dedicated to King Oliver); and something I call Modal Stomp.

Not all of this will make the cut for that night, but never again will I attempt to compose this much effin' music. I do intend to record all of this in 2018.

I assume I will see each and every one of you there. First 21 members of Organissimmo to show up receive a complimentary sock.

Edited by AllenLowe