Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ken Dryden

BFT 171 Discussion Thread

13 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

My initial Blindfold Test (171) can is now available for download.

I look forward to your responses. It was a lot of fun to put together and I hope that many of you will discover some music you just haven't had the opportunity to hear.

http://thomkeith.net/index.php/blindfold-tests/

Edited by Ken Dryden
Fixe typo.

Only a brief listen so far.

Track 5 is unmistakably Art Farmer playing Dameron's "If You Could See Me Now". A bit of research revealed he's with Austrian pianist Fritz Pauer.

Track 14 has got to be Ben.

Is that Carl Perkins I hear on Track 15? The tune is "Seven Come Eleven".

Sounds like Toots on Track 16.

Correct on all counts. Any guesses about the other musicians?

On Track 13 ("Just Friends") is the friend playing xylophone Red Norvo?  I'll guess Lou Levy for the pianist.

Red Norvo is not present, but Lou Levy is the pianist.

Track 3: I'm guessing Don Byas for this one plus a pretty impressive bassist.

And my guess for track 8 is Charlie Byrd.

Not Don Byas on track 3, not Charlie Byrd on track 8.

1. old devil moon. bobby hutcherson, late period?

3. fantastic bass player, could it be george tucker? is yusef lateef involved?

13. just friends. first vibraphone solo sounds like terry gibbs. i enjoyed his combo records on jasmine.

15. jim halls debut as a leader with carl perkins and red mitchell. seven come eleven, associated with charlie christian, whose influence is obvious here.

Posted (edited)

I know Track 7, because I chose a track from the same album for my Blindfold Test 168 in March. It is "Surrey With the Fringe on Top," played by Mary Lou Williams, from her 1976 album on Steeplechase,  "Free Spirits". Buster Williams is on bass. Mickey Roker is on drums. This is a bonus track which was not on the original LP, but is on the CD reissue.

I love Mary Lou's 1970s playing. I saw her live in 1978 in a duet performance with bassist Ronnie Boykins. It was outstanding.

Also, I am pretty sure that Track 12 is Phillip Johnston. I am not sure of the album. I heard his "Normalology" album about 10 years ago and loved it. I bought as many Phillip Johnston albums as I could order, and listened to him often for a period of time. I have not revisited the albums in awhile. This song prompts me to go back and listen to him again. What happened to Phillip Johnston? I never hear about him any more. He put out some very interesting, strong stuff for several years.

Edited by Hot Ptah

Posted (edited)

On 6/5/2018 at 3:12 PM, hgweber said:

1. old devil moon. bobby hutcherson, late period?

3. fantastic bass player, could it be george tucker? is yusef lateef involved?

13. just friends. first vibraphone solo sounds like terry gibbs. i enjoyed his combo records on jasmine.

15. jim halls debut as a leader with carl perkins and red mitchell. seven come eleven, associated with charlie christian, whose influence is obvious here.

1. Correct song, but it isn't Bobby Hutcherson.

3. It is not George Tucker, nor is Yusef Lateef present.

13. It is Just Friends and Terry Gibbs plays the opening melody on vibes, but not the first (or last) vibes solo.

15. You nailed it. The reason I included this track is that it is the original, unedited take, not the edited version butchered by Richard Bock's post-production insanity that greatly reduced the solos of Mitchell and Perkins.

Edited by Ken Dryden
Fixed typo and changed answer.

2 hours ago, Hot Ptah said:

I know Track 7, because I chose a track from the same album for my Blindfold Test 168 in March. It is "Surrey With the Fringe on Top," played by Mary Lou Williams, from her 1976 album on Steeplechase,  "Free Spirits". Buster Williams is on bass. Mickey Roker is on drums. This is a bonus track which was not on the original LP, but is on the CD reissue.

I love Mary Lou's 1970s playing. I saw her live in 1978 in a duet performance with bassist Ronnie Boykins. It was outstanding.

Also, I am pretty sure that Track 12 is Phillip Johnston. I am not sure of the album. I heard his "Normalology" album about 10 years ago and loved it. I bought as many Phillip Johnston albums as I could order, and listened to him often for a period of time. I have not revisited the albums in awhile. This song prompts me to go back and listen to him again. What happened to Phillip Johnston? I never hear about him any more. He put out some very interesting, strong stuff for several years.

You're obviously correct about track 7. I can't get enough Mary Lou Williams. I never got to see her perform, but I have an extensive collection of her work.

Track 12 is indeed Philip Johnston. 

Johnston moved to Australia a few years ago, though he has returned to the US on occasion for gigs with the Microscopic Septet and leading various small groups. I saw him in Chattanooga probably 15 years ago playing with a local avant-garde band called The Shaking Ray Levis. He is well represented in my collection, though I'm not sure that I've tracked down all of his dates as a leader.

Posted (edited)

Thanks for that information on Phillip Johnston.

i cannot figure out who the vibes player is on Track 1. He reminds me somewhat of Warren Wolf but I am not sure.

Track 2 reminds me of Chick Corea playing outside. 

Edited by Hot Ptah

Posted (edited)

Track 1 isn't Warren Wolf, though you obviously knew that.

Track 2 is definitely not Chick Corea. 

Keep those guesses coming.

Edited by Ken Dryden
Removed redundancy