Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
felser

BFT 189 reveal

5 posts in this topic

BFT 189 Reveal

Thanks to all who took the time to listen and comment.  Here are the selections – hope there were some new discoveries or some nice reacquaintances.  Very much a Philly-based sub-then, celebrating my listening roots, as the Visitors, Khan Jamal, and Catalyst were all active on the Philly scene in the early-mid 70’s.  I saw the Visitors at the Main Point opening for Gil Scott-Heron, never got to see Catalyst or Jamal live, but was well aware of their music.

 

1 - Visitors – “In My Youth” from ‘In My Youth’, Muse Records 1973

Coltrane’s nephews Earl and Carl Grubbs on the saxes, Philly local luminary Sid Simmons on piano, a very young Stanley Clarke on bass. 

 

In My Youth (Vinyl, LP, Album) album cover

 

2 - Bert Myrick – “Scorpio's Child” from ‘Live ‘n Well’, Strata Records, 1974.

Recorded 1965.  George Bohannon on trombone with an excellent solo.  Detroit Legend and Strata Records label founder Kenny Cox played piano and composed the piece.

Live'n Well album cover

 

3 - Brian Auger & Trinity – “Pavane” from ‘Befour’ RCA Records 1970

Auger is a massive talent on keyboards.  This is his take on a well-known classical piece.  I was disappointed that there was no love for this track.  I think it’s great.

Befour (CD, Album, Reissue) album cover

 

4 - Grachan Moncur II – “One Morning I Waked Up Very Early” from the album of the same name,

BYG Actuel 1970.  Biggest surprise of the BFT was that no one identified this.  Piano and vocal by Fernando Martins.

  Aco Dei De Madrugada (One Morning I Waked Up Very Early) (Vinyl, LP, Album, Reissue) album cover

5 - Khan Jamal – “Bloom” from ‘The Traveller’ Steeplechase Records 1986.

Impressive trio with Johnny Dyani and the unheralded Leroy Lowe.  People liked this one, and I’m glad.

The Traveller (CD, Album, Reissue) album cover

 

6 - Catalyst – “East” from ‘Catalyst’  Cobblestone Records 1972.

Catalyst was a Philly group comprised of Odean Pope, Eddie Green, Tyrone Brown, and Sherman Ferguson.  Pope and Brown went on to do excellent work with Max Roach a decade later.

Catalyst (Vinyl, LP, Album, Reissue) album cover

 

7 - Eric Alexander – “Airegin” from ‘My Favorite Things’ Venus Records 2007

I love Eric Alexander’s playing.  Sangrey doesn’t.  We’ve well established that dynamic on various board discussions.  Hazeltine/Webber/Farnsworth rhythm section (wish it had been Harold Mabern, but Hazeltine is solid).

My Favorite Things (SACD) album cover

 

8 - Maria Schneider – “Love Theme From Spartacus” from ‘Coming About’ ENJA records 1996

I love Schneider’s work across the board, believe she is the best out there at arranging large groups.  Someone else will need to identify if it is Rich Perry or Rick Margitza taking the tenor solo on this.   My wife and I Saw Schneider’s orchestra at the Philly Art Museum many years ago with several other Organissimo board members, and it was a beautiful and memorable concert.

Coming About album cover

 

 

9 - Art Blakey – “Moontrane” from ‘Rutgers University, NJ, April 15th 1969  ‘ Hi Hat Records 2015

I expected people to recognize the classic Shaw composition, but be stunned that the performance existed, and that’s how it worked out.  Blakey on drums, Shaw on trumpet, my main man Carlos Garnet on tenor, George Cables on piano, and Scotty Holt on bass.   Blakey had some amazing groups in the late 60’s and early 70’s who were never properly recorded, and we can be thankful that items like this are available.  Billy Harper did a residency with Blakey during that period.  A musical tragedy that there were no proper US-distributed albums between 1966’s ‘Buttercorn Lady’ (Keith Jarrett!  Chuck Mangione!) and 1972’s ‘Childs Dance’.  Same situation that hit with Max Roach through much of the 70’s when he had that great group with Harper, though at least that group was well-recorded by the Japanese.

Rutgers University, NJ, April 15th 1969 (CD, Remastered, Unofficial Release) album cover

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, felser said:

4 - Grachan Moncur II – “One Morning I Waked Up Very Early” from the album of the same name,

 

BYG Actuel 1970.  Biggest surprise of the BFT was that no one identified this.  Piano and vocal by Fernando Martins.

 

  Aco Dei De Madrugada (One Morning I Waked Up Very Early) (Vinyl, LP, Album, Reissue) album cover

 

 

Wasn't particularly grabbed by this cut, but - I've never heard of this record until now! As an aspiring GMIII completist, gonna have to start looking for the good deal. Right now, it seems a bit pricey, but eternal vigilance is the price of collecting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Wasn't particularly grabbed by this cut, but - I've never heard of this record until now! As an aspiring GMIII completist, gonna have to start looking for the good deal. Right now, it seems a bit pricey, but eternal vigilance is the price of collecting.

I bought the CD which pairs it with 'New Africa', which is the much stronger session, and a must-have for someone like me.  This one is more a "nice-to-have", though it holds up very well.  But very short (under 30 minutes) and it doesn't move the earth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very cool! This was a blast. Just posted my thoughts on the discussion thread, then came here. Looks like I got at least a few of them. You know, I kinda wondered if that was Maria Schneider on #8. She's someone I need to investigate further. I DEFINITELY need to check out that Earl & Carl Grubbs record! I can't believe I haven't heard it before, honestly... have been aware of it forever but somehow never listened to it.

Thanks again for your efforts on this. I loved nearly every track here... I think we have very similar tastes.

Happy New Year!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, webbcity said:

Very cool! This was a blast. Just posted my thoughts on the discussion thread, then came here. Looks like I got at least a few of them. You know, I kinda wondered if that was Maria Schneider on #8. She's someone I need to investigate further. I DEFINITELY need to check out that Earl & Carl Grubbs record! I can't believe I haven't heard it before, honestly... have been aware of it forever but somehow never listened to it.

Thanks again for your efforts on this. I loved nearly every track here... I think we have very similar tastes.

Happy New Year!

Thanks Tim.  Thom and I have very similar tastes also.  Really appreciate your enthsiasm and feedback, makes it all worthwhile!  Happy New Years to you and yours also!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.