South African "Straight Ahead" Jazz

garthsj

Hi Ubu,

I just notice that this thread had been revived .... No, sorry. I hav ereally no idea where they came from. I do wish that there were more substantial discographies of this period of South African jazz available. There couldnot have been that much recorded, and there were only a few labels. I assume that somewhere in South Africa right now work is being done on researching this phase of South African culture. I have not yet read Gwen Ansell's book, "Soweto Blues: Jazz, Popular Music and Politics in SA." Have you???

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Here's an excellent album I managed to find - Moses Taiwa Molelekwa live in Nantes. It's a live recording of his quartet performing at the Fin de siecle Festival in 1997 in a converted warehouse called Tour a Plomb. The CD includes six original tunes, most of which appear on the studio releases but as much shorter versions than when performed live on this recording. The other musicians are South Africans also - Kaya Mahlangu (tenor/sopranu/flute), Fana Zulu (bass and Sello Montwedi (drums).

MZA005.jpg

Edited by Phil Meloy