Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Alex Potts

Elliot Lawrence - RIP

5 posts in this topic

The pianist and composer Elliot Lawrence died earlier this month. He appeared on a couple Zoot Sims/Al Cohn records in the 50s before pivoting to what I assume must have been more lucrative work. Have always enjoyed the record, 'Happy Over Hoagy'

71RRR%2BesbLL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

A favourite! :tup

1 hour ago, Alex Potts said:

The pianist and composer Elliot Lawrence died earlier this month. He appeared on a couple Zoot Sims/Al Cohn records in the 50s before pivoting to what I assume must have been more lucrative work. Have always enjoyed the record, 'Happy Over Hoagy'

This is quite an ODD way to describe his activities in those days - to say the least ... :unsure::lol:

He was leading his own big band when Cohn and Sims were still section men.

41711476zr.jpg

41711477ho.jpg

41711478zf.jpg

41711479ee.jpg

Etc.

96 was a long run. Thanks for the music. RIP.

1 hour ago, Big Beat Steve said:

This is quite an ODD way to describe his activities in those days - to say the least ... :unsure::lol:

He was leading his own big band when Cohn and Sims were still section men.

41711476zr.jpg

41711477ho.jpg

41711478zf.jpg

41711479ee.jpg

Etc.

96 was a long run. Thanks for the music. RIP.

As a leader, am only really familiar with his version of 'Elevation' - will try to dig in to those! Definitely more than just 'the guy who dig the music for Network', for sure.

The LPs I showed are just those (with noteworthy covers) that I have in my collection (in addition to the Mulligan LP on Fantasy that BillF showed). So there certainly is more to explore for those interested.