Sinatra-Basie

Jerry

I grew up in the 50's with the Capitol Sinatra albums w/ Nelson Riddle playing on my parents phonograph. I've always loved those albums. The other day I happened on the 62 Reprise album Sinatra-Basie at my local public library. Wow. This band has a way of making me like tunes like Pennies from Heaven, which I have always been pretty lukewarm about. Even better in some ways than the Nelson Riddle stuff. Looser and more jazzy. Question: how are the other two Basie/Sinatra recordings: It Might as Well Be Swing (another studio album) and Live at the Sands?

I grew up in the 50's with the Capitol Sinatra albums w/ Nelson Riddle playing on my parents phonograph. I've always loved those albums. The other day I happened on the 62 Reprise album Sinatra-Basie at my local public library. Wow. This band has a way of making me like tunes like Pennies from Heaven, which I have always been pretty lukewarm about. Even better in some ways than the Nelson Riddle stuff. Looser and more jazzy. Question: how are the other two Basie/Sinatra recordings: It Might as Well Be Swing (another studio album) and Live at the Sands?

I don't have "It Might As Well Be Spring", but I had "Live at the Sands" before I got "Sinatra/Basie", and I think I still prefer it! A great one, lots of fun, lots of ambiance. (Although if I had to name one favorite tune, my choice would be between "Please Be Kind" and "I Won't Dance", both from "Sinatra/Basie")

ubu

I like IT MIGHT AS WELL BE SWING the best, in spite of a horrendous "I Can't Stop Loving You" that plays to every anti-Sinatra cliche imaginable, a "Hello dolly" that comes perilously close to doing the same, and string writng/playing on a few cuts that seems "questionable" in terms of execution (but not of intent). Otherwise, though, a superb album, with the Basie band laying down a DEEP pocket that Sinatra had no problem getting into his own self.

SANDS has quite a few ardent fans, but I'm not one of them, although the band is in great form, and the ambiance is indeed "classic", especially the monologue. But Sinatra's voice sounds tired, and the whole presentation seems "show biz"-y in a not so good way, with the tempos being all wrong, and the interpretations by sinatra lacking the depth that he was so very capable of. Just my opinion, though. Like I said, this one has a LOT of fans.

BTW, the uncredited arranger for SINATRA/BASIE was Neil Hefti.

I like IT MIGHT AS WELL BE SWING the best, in spite of a horrendous "I Can't Stop Loving You" that plays to every anti-Sinatra cliche imaginable, a "Hello dolly" that comes perilously close to doing the same, and string writng/playing on a few cuts that seems "questionable" in terms of execution (but not of intent). Otherwise, though, a superb album, with the Basie band laying down a DEEP pocket that Sinatra had no problem getting into his own self.

SANDS has quite a few ardent fans, but I'm not one of them, although the band is in great form, and the ambiance is indeed "classic", especially the monologue. But Sinatra's voice sounds tired, and the whole presentation seems "show biz"-y in a not so good way, with the tempos being all wrong, and the interpretations by sinatra lacking the depth that he was so very capable of. Just my opinion, though. Like I said, this one has a LOT of fans.

BTW, the uncredited arranger for SINATRA/BASIE was Neil Hefti.

I think you're right on with your assessments of both IT MIGHT AS WELL BE SWING and the LIVE AT THE SANDS recordings. (I never could stand Sinatra's Vegas patter and on stage demeanor).

As for voice sounding tired on the latter, this problem unfortunately surfaces to a greater degree on the collaboration with Duke done in late '67. Even a wonderful rendition of "Indian Summer" can't save this album from the feeling that a terrific opportunity for a memorable album was wasted.

Count me in the minority but I've always enjoyed the Sands set although the rap does get a little stale after several hundred listenings.

For me OBE's Capitol studio sessions were the pinnacle of his art especially "Songs For Swingin' Lovers," "Wee Small Hours" and "Come Dance With Me."

The Australian performance with Red Norvo also rates pretty highly with moi.

For prime live Sinatra I would recommend the '57 in Concert' gold CD recorded in Seattle. Frank at his peak with Nelson Riddle and a great song selection.

Great as the Capitol years were there is still a lot of good stuff on Reprise. I like the Basie/Ellington recordings a lot but I think there are even better Reprise releases. I would start with 'September of My Years' and the Sinatra/Jobim CD.

For me OBE's Capitol studio sessions were the pinnacle of his art especially "Songs For Swingin' Lovers," "Wee Small Hours" and "Come Dance With Me."

The Australian performance with Red Norvo also rates pretty highly with moi.

:tup

some of my favorites, too (though I don't have "Come Dance With Me" - love all the others)!

ubu