Bud Shank in Tucson

shank will be playing this sunday

7:00 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.

The Old Pueblo Grill

Broadway & Alvernon

Tickets are just $10, it's a benefit concert

i just found out late friday nite 11pm

looks like i WILL get my mosaic booklet signed, i'll have to open the shipping box first.

"To Soulstation1" B)

your buddy,

Bud S.

i hope the guys from tucson read this before monday.

ss1

Edited by Soulstation1

he was in town about 2 years ago outside in a small plaza. he was loading up their mini van, talking, signing b-s-ing and someone got their mosaic booklet signed. i took a few pictures, but they didn't turn out very well. the people sitting next to me at the concert did not realize shank's resume. i think i paid $8 last time.

ss1

I got to see Shank about a year ago along with Pete Christlieb on tenor; one of the finer concerts I've been to. I think Joe Lababera was on drums with a couple of local musicians on bass and piano, Gilles Fournier and Ron Paley, respectively. I had never heard of Christlieb before, but man I really dug his playing. After doing a little research, I found out that Warne Marsh was somewhat a mentor of his (Christlieb), hmmm, that would explain things.

Do you know who Shank is playing with, ss1?

they sent me a email about the concert friday nite @10:00 pm. the last time shank was here, he had a guy from washington play the bass w / him. i've forgotten his name at the moment. i would say that shank will have this trio that plays around tucson alot, the jeff haskell trio. i have a feeling there won't be alot of people @ this concert, way too short of notice.

should i get the mosaic box signed or the booklet?

ss1

iv'e copied and pasted the same stuff from the all about jazz boards

bud funkin' ripped it up tonite.

bud played every note for free, the benefit was for a tucson female jazz musician who is very sick.

before the concert, bud walked by me at the bar with my bass draft close by. shook his hand and said thanks for playin' tonite and caught him on the way back. "hi jeff - bud shank" is in my mosaic booklet now. hell yeah

the concert was totally free!!!!!!!!!

but i paid the $10 at the end.

i went up to bud's table and gave them the $10. i coulda done an "effron" on them and not paid a penny. i shoulda told bud about the secret bud stash tray in his mosaic set, damn it.

fwiw

he lives in oro valley, az. now. not out of the oregon area anymore. about 5/10 minutes straight up the street.

songs he played

with bass, piano, drums

i'm old fashioned that way

my funny valentine

angel eyes (Bud is killer on this one)

a night has a 1000 eyes

carosels (sp) bud and his wife wrote this song. i could tell bud likes to play this song

nature boy

soft as a morning sunshine

and about 3/4 more songs.

bud played for 2 1/2 hours and i was about 25 feet from bud with a straight on view. he played only the alto.

i coulda sat in the front row/ center if i really wanted to, but sat at the bar. there were about 100/125 people max at the concert.