Milt Jackson-Opus De Funk (who is Henry Boozier)

makpjazz57

Hi,

A friend is asking me to identify the trumpet player on Milt Jackson's LP, Opus De Funk, Prestige '54, with Jimmy Heath, Kenny Clarke, Horace Silver and Henry Boozier on trumpet (is this Miles Davis)? Ashamed to say I do not have this recording. Obviously "Henry Boozier" is a pseudonym for someone who was, perhaps, under contract to another record label?

Thanks!

Marla

There are no sessions as a leader, sorry if my wording misled you about that. The Milt Jackson album on Prestige is on OJC 125. A later Milt Jackson album (Vibrations) is Atlantic 1417, but I don't think it's in print. Ditto for a 1961 live record by the Al Grey/Billy Mitchell Sextet on Argo 689. No idea whether early items by Charlie Singleton, Paul Williams, or Gatemouth Brown have made it onto European "complete" sets.

Mike

The Collectables guys bothered to put Vibrations on CD together with The Ballad Artistry of Milt Jackson - I should have bought it for Boozier alone. The Ballad album is with strings arranged by Quincy Jones, but very well done.

090431625828.jpg

It can be ordered from oldies.com for $ 12.97 plus shipping.

There may be a lot of trumpet players technically more assured, but he had a beautiful, round, fat tone in the Freddie Webster tradition, especially in the lower range. I doubt that he solos on the R&B sessions he is on.

Edited by mikeweil

Of the four sides recorded at the 1954 Charlie Singleton session for Sunset, only one title was issued as a single - Freddie Redd and Jimmy Cobb were in that band. Michael Frohne's recent Freddie Redd disco does not show any reissues.

The four Paul Williams sides from 1952 originally on Norgran were reissued on a Swedish LP Saxophonograph BP-500. (Richie Powell and Sam Jones were in that band - the wealth of great jazzmen doing time in R&B bands in the 1940's and 1950's remains amazing.)

The Gatemouth Brown 1956 Peacock sides should be available - I heard two of them many years ago but don't remember any trumpet solos - would have been unusual for a blues side at the time.