Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Alexander

Please check out "Where Dead Voices Gather"

132 posts in this topic

Today's update features the Cincinnati Jug Band, led by guitarist Bob Coleman, performing "Newport Blues."

Today's update closes out the first disc of "Social Music" with this bizarre jazz/polka tune. Read about musician Frank Cloutier and the search for information on him and his recording of "Moonshiner's Dance."

The second disc of "Social Music" begins today with Rev. J.M. Gates and his congregation performing "Must Be Born Again," an example of a lining hymn.

Today's update features another example of a lining hymn performed by Rev. J.M. Gates and his congregation.

Today's update features the Alabama Sacred Harp Singers performing "Rocky Road." Sacred Harp singing is one of America's oldest musical traditions.

Today's update features the second of two examples of Sacred Harp singing. This is "Present Joys" performed by the Alabama Sacred Harp Singers, recorded in 1928 in Atlanta.

In today's update, we listen to the obscure Middle Georgia Singing Convention No. 1 performing the equally obscure "This Song of Love," performed in a style that seems to predate Sacred Harp singing.

Today's update features the powerful voice of Rev. Sister Mary Nelson (plus a couple of kids) belting out "Judgment." Can I get a witness?

Today's update features the Memphis Sanctified Singers, featuring Bessie Johnson, performing "He Got Better Things For You."

Today's update features the elders McIntorsh and Edwards, ably assisted by Bessie Johnson and Melinda Taylor from the previous selection, performing "Since I Laid My Burden Down."

The all-jazz episode of "Where Dead Voices Gather" is up!

Today's update is the first of five "song sermons" in a row. Today's selection features Rev. Moses Mason performing "John The Baptist."

Today's update features folklorist, lawyer, educator, and banjo-picker Bascom Lamar Lunsford performing the wry "Dry Bones."

Today's update features the great Blind Willie Johnson's recording of "John The Revelator," originally recorded on April 20, 1930 (exactly 80 years ago today).

Today's update marks the third appearance of the Carter Family on the "Anthology," performing "Little Moses."

Edited by Alexander

Nice to see so many posters on this thread. :ph34r:

Nice to see so many posters on this thread. :ph34r:

Hey, I'm happy to discuss anything to do with the "Anthology." Just post a question or make a comment, and I'll happily reply...

Today's update features Ernest Phipps and His Holiness Singers performing "Shine On Me."

Today's update features Rev. F.W. McGee and his singers performing "Fifty Miles of Elbow Room."

Today's update is the last track on the "Social Music" volume of the "Anthology." It features Rev. D.C. Rice and his Sanctifed Congregation performing "I'm In The Battle Field For My Lord."

"Songs," the third volume of the "Anthology," begins with today's update. Today, we feature Clarence Ashley (making his third appearence on the "Anthology") performing his signature song, "The Coo Coo Bird."

Today's update features Buell Kazee (last heard on the "Ballads" set) singing "East Virginia," a song of lost love.

Today's update features Cannon's Jug Stompers, a jug band consisting of Gus Cannon, Noah Lewis, and Ashley Thompson. They perform "Minglewood Blues," a song later covered by The Grateful Dead in a slightly different form.

Today's update features blind Cajun guitarist Didier Hébert on his sole recording, "I Woke Up One Morning In May."

Today's update features New Orleans songster Richard "Rabbit" Brown performing "James Alley Blues."