AOTW June 20-27 The Harper Brothers

marcoliv

thanks to ejp626 for picking me :tup

one of my desert island discs: The Harper Brothers - Remembrance Live At The Village Vanguard

the kind of jazz that i love most. i have all of their releases but this one is my favorite.

among with the Harper brothers there is Stephen Scott (one of my favorite piano players), Justin Robinson on alto sax and Kiyoshi Kitagawa on bass.

the highlights for me are the main title, a composition from Danny Harper in memory of their father, Hodge Podge, Kiss Me Right (a Horace Silver composition) and Keynote Doctrine.

i wish they were still playing together and i hope you will enjoy as much as i do everytime i put this on the stereo.

Marcus Oliveira

I'm sorry I can't really contribute to the discussion as I don't have the album, but I have heard one track - Don't go to Strangers - on the radio and liked it. Now you have brought it to mind I will keep an eye open for it. Thanks.

Edited by tooter

you are right Dan.

i really like what the young lions did. i think they can play well, they have control of their instrument but they don't take risks. anyway, i really like to hear them playing.

my major concern about them and their albums is that they are usually composed by original compositions and some well-known standards. great, i don't mind to hear My Funny Valentine one more time but my major problem is why they don't record tunes from other young lions??

a standard only becomes a standard if it´s played/recorded several times.

a tune like Chan's Song IMHO could be a potential standard but how many recordings do you know of this song? even if i didn't liked Herbie's "The New Standards" album i should praise his attitude.

picking one song from the Harper Brothers album, Remembrance could easily become a standard too.

just my 2 cents

Marcus Oliveira

I have enjoyed this disk for many years . One of the better "young lion" efforts, IMHO.

Winard Harper really drives the rest with his Blakey like style on drums. Phillip is no slouch on the trumpet , brassy or sweet whatever is needed . Just a very good record of a well oiled jazz machine.---Leftshu