AOTW - January 9th

etherbored

since it was an OJC that inspired me to stop lurking and start posting, when the opportunity came for me to choose an AOTW i thought in my own little way i'd honor that by choosing another OJC. a not so big and important title, but great to listen to new jazz date recorded on april 19, 1960 @ englewood cliffs ('supervised' by esmond edwards and arranged by oliver nelson).

B000000Z7W.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.gif

----------------------------

lem winchester - vib

oliver nelson - ts

curtis peagler - as

billy brown - p (1,4)

roy johnson - p (others)

wendell marshall - b

art taylor - d

-----------------------------

1 - eddy's dilema - 11.37

2 - lem & aide - 7.58

3 - freindly persuasion - 4.08

4 - your last chance - 6.50

5 - lady day - 2.51

6 - just friends - 5.17

-----------------------------

what can i say? to me, lem is, as are many of the musicians we all love, grossly underrated. i find no or very little critical acclaim of his work, yet i love everything i've heard him on. a discography can be found here...

regards,

-e-

Well here's where I got screwed up.

Roland Kirk had a record with a "group" called the Jazz Corps with somebody whose last name was Peltier. Peagler is not exactly Peltier (who was not a sax player) but maybe close enough.

Sorry for the confusion (mine).

Oh, that sounds like something I would do. Are you over 40 yet? ;)

Was the Peagler/Modern Jazz Disciples twofer CD (containg both of the above-mentioned albums) mentioned on Chuck's OJC thread? Of course, being a twofer it's technically not in the OJC series, but it would fit the spirit of that thread. I've never heard either of those albums...

Back on topic, I'm a big Lem W fan. With only a handful of sessions under his leadership, I think it's great that he worked with different players and varied the instrumentation. I love the ballad date, WITH FEELING, in fact that's the disc that really moved me to buy up his other titles, but it's great to hear him with people like Benny Golson, Tommy Flanagan, Frank Wess, Hank Jones, Johnny Hammond Smith, Eddie McFadden, etc, and in this case, Oliver Nelson. Three Nelson compositions, plus his magic touch as an arranger... pretty hard to go wrong. Art Taylor was such a solid drummer on so many sessions, and Wendell Marshall is one of the greats as well. I'm generally less familiar with Peagler (this is the only disc I have with him on it), but he impresses me here. I'm going to have to track down the aforementioned twofer.

I think my favorite tracks on this CD are "Your last chance", "Lady Day", and "Friendly persuasion" (a good example of an under-recorded tune by an excellent composer).

Gotta run... looking forward to coming back to this topic! :tup

Nice choice, this is my kind of music and Winchester is probably my favourite vibes player. The cd hits a nice groove from the off and it continues right the way through. It's one of those records exemplify jazz of the period, relaxed but with plenty of soul and swing. Good to hear Peagler and Brown from the Modern Jazz Disciples too, a disc well worth checking out.

(which I might have turned eherbored onto a while ago)

---

entirely possible, but i've known this date with benny golson for so long that it's hard to tell.

allow me to return the favor by humbly presenting lem's beat.

:rolleyes: ,

-e-

Favor reciprocated :tup . I just ordered it so hopefully I'll have it in a few days.

• 3 months later...

Well, contrary to my expectations, I just got around to listening to this. I'm not as enamored of this as Winchester Special but it is good. Lem just sounds so in the groove. Peagler's sound is interesting. I may be mistaken but I hear a Jackie Mac sound in there and Oliver Nelson what can you say, a nice round sound. Worth picking up even if it took me too long to listen to it.

This thread brings back fond memories of Lem Winchester, who used to come to my apartment in Philadelphia to listen to early jazz recordings. As I recall, I mention his fondness for vintage jazz in my notes to the original LP release. One day, Lem brought his grandfather with him and as I played Bessie, early Louis, Morton, et al, he watched the old man's face. "You can see in their eyes the good times they had back then," he said, although probably not in these exact words.

His death came as a big shock, especially because he was so full of life.

Pianist Roy Johnson was a gentle soul and a close friend. This was his first recording, and it wasn't planned--he came to Rudy's studio that day because he had written a song, "Lady Day," that Lem wanted to record. It made sense to have him play the piano.