Steve Reynolds

from the 1970's

with the leader on bass

Keith Tippett - piano

Mark Charig - trumpet

Malcolm Griffiths - trombone

Mike Osbourne - alto saxophone

Louis Moholo - drums

a stunning 37 minute suite - with the fanfare that begins the first piece - one knows it is a special day - with Tippetts priceless ostinato behind the trombonist - with Charig follwing - with Tippett involving himself in the playful nature3 of the music - the leader's bouncing bass lines underpin the whole thing creating a joy leading up to the great altoists early cries for help...

by the third piece (of the four) the band is one - with Moholo playing beyond himself - and hearing the trio of Tippett with the bass and drums towards the end of the long (15 minute) "Jumping" - one hears the majesty of musicians playing at the peak of their mighty powers

priceless - one the great jazz sessions of it's time - and of any time, really

found in the Harry Miller box - on ogun

for those who don't know - konow - feel - and live in the beauty of genius among us

Harry Miller, RIP

for Mike Osbourne - I pray for you every day

peace and blessings

Edited by Steve Reynolds

One of my favourite records - I bought it on LP in the Autumn of 1977 and now have that wonderful box.

I had very little jazz at the time and this was one of those discs that helped me cross over - I knew most of the names from King Crimson (!). I'd also seen this band in Exeter a few months before (without Tippett - I cannot, for the life of me, recall who played piano; just recall initial disappointment at not seeing Tippett).

For me this record stands for what I really like in jazz - a wild, flexible, rhythmically loose ensemble, threatening to tip into chaos but always holding it together. Tippett is just magical in his playing - he often loses me in his totally free stuff bit here there is enough structure to relate to my more conventional ears. The long tracks keep you hooked every step of the way.

Moholo, Tippett, Osborne and Miller get plenty of praise - listen here for two other marvellous voices who we rarely hear now - Malcolm Griffiths and Marc Charig.

The disc ends perfectly with the short but upbeat 'Eli's Song'.

[Pedantic note: no u in Osborne]

Edited by Bev Stapleton

• 1 month later...