AOTW July 30-August 5

felser

'Tones for Joan's Bones' was an early favorite of mine, Corea's first album as a leader. An excellent post-bop quintet with Woody Shaw and Joe Farrell on the front line. Steve Swallow and Joe Chambers join Corea in the rhythm section. The writing and playing are extremely strong, with none of the indulgences of ARC/Circle and none of the smugness which has poisoned too much of his work since then. "Litha" has become something of a standard, and the other compositions are of the same caliber. This album was reissued as 'Inner Space' with two long, excellent outtakes and two cuts Corea did with Hubert Laws in the 70's - that was my introduction to this work. Unfortunately, Atlantic botched the 'Inner Space' CD, leaving off two cuts from the 'Tones' album which can only be found on 'Piano by Four' instead of just dropping the two Laws cuts or making it a double CD (hello, Collectables, please rescue!). 'Piano By Four' is worth running down, as it has two early trio recordings by McCoy Tyner which are otherwise unreleased. Corea's style here reminds me of his playing on 'Matrix', which is another essential album by him. This one, that one, and the two RTF's with Flora Purim/Airto/Stanley Clarke/Joe Farrell are the crown jewels of his work to me.

Edited by felser

Got the Atlantic 2LP 'Inner Space' set when it first came out and it has been a big favourite. The tune by Kurt Weil - 'This Is New' is a superb interpretation. Corea sets the scene perfectly in his intro.

Some fantastic Woody Shaw and equally good Joe Farrell on the quintet session too. Joe Chambers on drums is the icing on the cake. :tup

Didn't the original 'Tones' LP come out on Vortex?

Edited by sidewinder

Didn't the original 'Tones' LP come out on Vortex?

It did. Vortex was either distributed by or a subsidiary of Atlantic. Some interesting albums on that label, by Sonny Sharrock and Steve Marcus. Of course 1966 was just an interesting time musically, period.

It's ridiculous how they reissued this stuff. There's still no single-disc version of the album that contains the entire session, I had to burn myself a CD-R of it. There IS a newer reissue of Tones but it does not contain the two extra tracks from Inner Space while the Inner Space CD lacks two cuts from the original Tones LP. Idiots!

Other than that it's a great session! :)

And at least that Tyner/Hancock/Corea/Jarrett disc that's needed to complete the whole programme includes two piano trio tracks from Coltrane's My Favorite Things sessions that I haven't seen anywhere else so far.

Edited by Kyo

It's ridiculous how they reissued this stuff. There's still no single-disc version of the album that contains the entire session, I had to burn myself a CD-R of it. There IS a newer reissue of Tones but it does not contain the two extra tracks from Inner Space while the Inner Space CD lacks two cuts from the original Tones LP.

No single-disc version has it all ? Not true . The 2001 Japanese CD of Inner Space has all eight tracks and sonically is the best this music has ever sounded ! Everybody who loves this album should do what I did and get this Japanese CD . Upon its issue , Downbeat gave Tones for Joan's Bones 4 1/2 stars . For me this is a five star record ; this is one of the finest jazz records of the late-Sixties .

John , you're on a roll ; The Tentet and now this , bravo .

No single-disc version has it all ? Not true . The 2001 Japanese CD of Inner Space has all eight tracks and sonically is the best this music has ever sounded !

This is weird, I was never able to find a Japanese edition of Inner Space or Tones at all.

Thanks for the hint though, maybe I'll get this edition in my next life or something! :P

Edited by Kyo

No single-disc version has it all ? Not true . The 2001 Japanese CD of Inner Space has all eight tracks and sonically is the best this music has ever sounded !

This is weird, I was never able to find a Japanese edition of Inner Space or Tones at all.

Thanks for the hint though, maybe I'll get this edition in my next life or something! :P

I have the following from Japan, a mini LP 24 bit remaster issued in 2004:

Maybe you should keep trying.

Tones for Joan's Bones is a phenomenal record--the sort of combustible, hyperactive post-bop that flourished in the wake of free jazz and the early crest of fusion. For what it is, it's a prime example--and some of the tighest, most high-energy music Chick ever released. Excellent compositions, kick-ass arrangements, and phenomenal playing (Joe Chambers smokes on these late 60's albums). I only regret that the versions I've heard--all on CD--sound like they were recorded in fishbowls.

• 6 months later...

Greetings,

Has anyone ever found a Japanese (or other) release of "Inner Space" or "Tones For Joan's Bones" that had all the correct cuts on it? If so, could you point me in the right direction? Thanks!

You didn't see my post above ? :wacko:

AMCY-1271 Inner Space is what you seek . Keep your eyes on this reissue program from Warner Japan .

No single-disc version has it all ? Not true . The 2001 Japanese CD of Inner Space has all eight tracks and sonically is the best this music has ever sounded ! Everybody who loves this album should do what I did and get this Japanese CD . Upon its issue , Downbeat gave Tones for Joan's Bones 4 1/2 stars . For me this is a five star record ; this is one of the finest jazz records of the late-Sixties .

Edited by Chas

Chas,

Thank you for your reply. I've checked that site and don't see Inner Space anywhere. If you're referring to something listed in Japanese without a graphic, then I'm out of luck, since I don't speak the language. Or are you saying that Inner Space is not yet available but coming soon? I'd appreciate your clarification. Thanks!

I've got the lp version of this album on Vortex. The cover states that it is distributed by Atco Record Sales and has the Atlantic address 1841 Broadway next to it. It's one of my favorite Chick Corea albums too. The Song is Singing and "Is" are both pretty good too, although I do prefer Tones. I haven't played it in a while, so I should probably give it a spin today. I've been listening to a lot of stuff lately that has been brought up on the board on different threads. Sometimes I think my wife is right when she says I own plenty of music and don't need to buy more. Well, she's half right, anyway.