AOTW January 21-27, 2007

Adam

There is already a good thread with nice discussion of Nels Cline's "New Monastery" album.

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php...Cline&st=30

I debated putting the new Ben Goldberg album (the door, the hat, the chair, the fact), but decided it might be nice to look at Cline's earlier work on Cryptogramophone. There is also the album undr his own name, The Inkling. Heck, feel free to discuss Destroy All Nels Cline as well, which is on Atavistic. I hope someone else will consider discussing the Goldberg album

http://www.cryptogramophone.com/

The Nels Cline Singers - Instrumentals

Devin Hoff - bass

Scott Amendola - drums, perc, loops, processing

Nels Cline - electric 6, 12 & baritone guitars

My copy was used and is missing the booklet, so I don't know the recording dates, but it was issued in 2002.

Devin Hoff is also on the Goldberg album.

And I don't own The Giant Pin or The Inkling yet. I keep hoping to buy it at a Cline gig, but it hasn't happened yet.

The Nels Cline Singers, as you can see, has no vocal singers. It definitely has moments that head towards loud improvised rock. But as usual, I don't have many comments yet. I'll post more, and hope some of you will own it and have thoughts about the Singers and Cline.

Edited by Adam

• 3 weeks later...

just get ANY nels, CT-- he synthesizes every goddamn guitar style you have any interest in (some you might not too) & ** then ** adds his ideas to it. once in a while he even does a quasi-Thurston/Lee thing except he (Nels) can do abt a 1000 other moves also.

can NOT believe that the McLaughlin (first) & Metheny heads aren't giving it up for Nels. should i repost the Nels Top 100 guitarist list? he's firmly in the innovator tradition.

Adam, do you know or get to see Carla Bozulich at all? for Nels in his very best avant-trad mode, everyone oughta git Carla's "Red Headed Stranger" (pretty sure Amendola is on drums there). Nels & Carla are now ex- but... i'm glad Nels is making $$$ but by far his greatest work is outside Wilco.

c

I'm back from the road and sick in bed but now might be able to contribute properly to my own thread.

I saw Carla perform Red-Headed Stranger with Cline on guitar & Amendola on drums at Spaceland. Does that count? That was a great show, and the one that sold me on Bozulich, whom I knew previously just through the Geraldine Fibbers. But I haven't seen her since then.

I haven't acquired any of his music yet, but last year I saw him perform the music of Andrew Hill at a small venue nearby and loved it. I was aware of him, but never picked up anything by him. It was the program that got the suction cup off my butt to go and hear him. It was a fantastic show. He showed plenty of respect for the composer but he and his band put there own little twists into the music to keep you on your toes. He repeated this performance at the SF Jazz Festival last fall, opening for the great man himself. I wish I had been able to catch that show. I'm sure it was great.