Jump to content

clifford_thornton

Members
  • Posts

    20,010
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by clifford_thornton

  1. oh yeah, his records are excellent. Never had the opportunity of course... having access to a time machine would be great — so many musicians I’d like to have seen, though of course I’d very likely not be among the living right now if I had. I was late to a gig with Peter Kowald but luckily caught the last few minutes (Kowald, Ali, Tsahar) and was able to have a nice chat with the man. Sad that he died so young! I’d wrongly assumed there’d be another chance down the road.
  2. Mal, Lester Bowie, Sam Rivers, Elvin, Max, Roy, Motian spring to mind. Max canceled a gig I had tickets to and the decline in his health had presumably started. Roy and Paul were just on account of my own error. Mal, Sam, Elvin, and Lester just did not happen for whatever reason. I'm pretty lucky to have seen a lot of greats given that I'm relatively young in age.
  3. 😂 yeah, I don’t get what all the fuss is about. Buy it or don’t. Listen or don’t.
  4. a beautiful album… I have the “sand dune” cover.
  5. Back that sucker up to the cloud.
  6. yeah, the tape archive was at least in part with Irène; hopefully it gets deposited somewhere safe for researchers and not just parted out to private bidders...
  7. How many unissued sessions were you able to include? I’m sure there’s a treasure trove; some seem to be floating around or discussed, but obviously there are a lot more beneath the surface.
  8. Believable for sure.
  9. Announced yesterday for Bandcamp Friday and forthcoming on Whit Dickey’s TAO Forms imprint: https://matthewshipptaoforms.bandcamp.com/album/a-whole-system-of Shipp and Parker have been collaborating since the 1980s on one level or another and this set is a confirmation of their shared language as well as the integral part they’ve both played on free music as it has existed in the Lower East Side and more broadly. Looking forward to the physical copy in hand...
  10. It’s apparently been remastered, but I’m not sure how this reissue sounds. It’s officially licensed, if that makes any difference.
  11. Lowther is a great player indeed.
  12. Yes! That Stan Douglas piece is awesome.
  13. Sad to say that the great bassist and cellist Kent Carter has left the building... https://www.charentelibre.fr/societe/necrologie/disparition-de-kent-carter-musicien-americain-et-fondateur-du-studio-juillaguet-30863064.php Had a great time interviewing him in the early 00s for what would become the New York City Jazz Record. A fascinating artist, glad he was here and did what he did. RIP.
  14. That drive had better not fail! Or at least back it up to the cloud once you get it... I’m in for the 3CD.
  15. 77 had some interesting releases for sure.
  16. yeah, my copy of the Muhal is an India Navigation as well. Beautiful album.
  17. Art Ensemble of Chicago & CT — Thelonious Sphere Monk: Dreaming of the Masters v.2 — Columbia promo cassette been a few years since I had a solidly working tape deck and am enjoying cassette life again.
  18. 👍👍 I have the India Navigation pressings of both the Whynot? Airs. Good to see favorites from Lowe, Gaslini, and Lacy upthread as well.
  19. Great music on that and a wonderful book as well!
  20. I have all of these on CD but am considering the vinyl. I’d imagine the “Poetry and Jazz” releases would warrant yet another box?
  21. direct link to the box: https://thesoundofvinyl.com/products/voyages-the-argo-studio-albums-vol-i-with-norma-winstone-vinyl-4lp-box-set?_pos=1&_psq=garrick&_psid=d63136ddd&_ss=e
  22. For what it is worth, Heliocentric Worlds was issued in 1965 as ESP 1014 and Heliocentric Worlds vol. 2 was issued as ESP 1017 a short time later in 1966 (with different mixes, some with vocals and some without). Vol. 3 was issued on CD in 2005.
  23. a minor classic, in my opinion. Good reminder to dust it off again!
  24. I’m definitely in for the 3CD version, which contains considerably more music than the 3LP.
×
×
  • Create New...