Artie Shaw's "More Last Recordings"

Bol

These are the last recordings of who I believe was the greatest jazz clarinetist ever. As such, they are very much of the same quality as the initial Last Recordings 2 CD set and therefore worth having. Hard to believe that at the relatively young age of 44, Shaw stopped playing for good. A terrible waste as these recordings indicate that, unlike Benny to whom he was always compared, Shaw was ever the modernist and was not content to simply recapitulate an earlier style. Pick this 2-fer up!

I have a long version of "The Grabtown Grapple" from that band, with Hank Jones and Farlow, etc. on a Verve lp "I Can't Get Started." Is that on this second volume on Musicmasters? And where can you find this double Cd? Any sources you might recommend? Thanks in advance.

Some of these tracks are ,I think , on the 5CD Self Portrait Shaw set that came out a few years ago. It was my introduction to Shaw and I am hugely impressed. Recently picked a Hindsight LP (Vol 5 1938/9, broadcasts in great sound) , again amazing strong stuff.

Any opinions re the Hep 3 CD set from 1944/5. I have no idea what's on this disc but am guessing some there's some Eldridge and Marmarosa ( and hopefully limited vocal numbers !!!)

Any opinions re the Hep 3 CD set from 1944/5. I have no idea what's on this disc but am guessing some there's some Eldridge and Marmarosa ( and hopefully limited vocal numbers !!!)

Another must, must have. I love the '44-45 band with Eldridge, Marmarosa, Kessel, etc. Of all of Shaw's bands, I like this one the best even though it was nowhere near as commercially successful as the '38-39 ("Begin the Beguine") band nor the '40 with strings outfit ("Stardust"). Band is very forward looking and the arrangements are solid. I picked up this Hep 3 CD set at Artie Shaw's website. Wherever you can obtain it, do so.

I have a long version of "The Grabtown Grapple" from that band, with Hank Jones and Farlow, etc. on a Verve lp "I Can't Get Started." Is that on this second volume on Musicmasters?

Yes, assuming that there was only one take.. it lists at 10.06 mins.

I think these discs are OOP now, hence your best bet would be cut out bins and / or used record sources. The copy I have was distributed by BMG.. maybe in their archives.

There is a version of Grabtown in yhe Portrait box, but is the shorter 78 rpm version with Roy Eldridge, Barney Kessel and Marmarosa.

Edited by P.D.

Just listened to most of this again today. Both "Last Recordings" sets are the sort of thing that should be kept in print forever. In addition to Shaw at his peak, you also get the magnificent Tal Farlow.

Completely agree. Both Farlow and Hank Jones are just so elegant and tasteful. They swing too. I once e-mailed Mosaic about doing a set of complete Grammercy 5 recordings. MC wrote back saying that he has been wanting to, but that Shaw wants too much money for the rights. Too bad. Another thing that I hope happens is Richard Sudhalter doing a biography of Shaw. (Ghost of Miles's idea; and a great one.)

If you haven't already, check out the following feature on NPR:

http://www.npr.org/programs/morning/features/2002/mar/shaw/

Check out the extended interview. Shaw is a talker!! Never boring, and never ridiculous.

Sounds intriguing. I don't think I have any Shaw in my collection (at least on CD). Any recommendations on where to start...

or should I wait for the inevitable "Still More Last Recordings - We Really Mean it This Time" edition? :g

Sounds intriguing.  I don't think I have any Shaw in my collection (at least on CD).  Any recommendations on where to start...

or should I wait for the inevitable "Still More Last Recordings - We Really Mean it This Time" edition?    :g

For a one disc starter, I'd go for the "Complete Gramercy Five Sessions" (RCA). The set includes excellent small group swing plus excursions into bebop on the later sides, with plenty of innovation by Artie. For a broad overview of his music, check out "Self Portrait" (RCA 5CD box), covering the years 1936-54. The music (or a fair bit of it) in the Gramercy Five disc is also included in the set. Of course, there's the Chronological Classics way for an even more complete collection of his music. There are about a dozen Classics discs at this point.

Another thing that I hope happens is Richard Sudhalter doing a biography of Shaw. (Ghost of Miles's idea; and a great one.)

A friend of mine, Vladimir Simosko, has written a comprehensive bio-discography on Shaw and he did so with the latter's cooperation.

0810833972.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

The book is a bit pricey however ($70) - fortunately, I obtained a reviewer's copy - but done with much love for the artist and insight into his work. It can be found on the following website with an Amazon link:

http://www.crimsonbird.com/cgi-bin/a.cgi?j=0810833972

Vladimir has also written a book on Eric Dolphy and is the author of several monographs on Serge Chaloff (he also wrote the booklet for the Mosaic box on Chaloff), John Gilmore and others.