EL-P "High Water"

Green Dolphin

Roy Campbell-Trumpet

Steve Swell-Trombone

Daniel Carter-Reeds

Matthew Shipp-Piano

William Parker-Bass

Guillermo E. Brown-Drums

Thirsty Ear Blue Series style under the guidance of rapper EL-P,who is virtually mute here.Interesting as most things are on the label...and I'm not damning with faint praise there,worth hearing if you get a chance.Horns mixed a bit low tho'.

Guest ariceffron

fuck that weird avant garbage. there already is a rapper El-P. even that is too much. there is only one ELP and that is the british ELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! brain salad sugery forever

there already is a rapper El-P.

It's the same guy, Aric. I'm not a parcticularly big fan of his music or his crew (Definitive Jux) but I imagine this could be interesting.

What I'd really like to see is a Blue Series hip hop collabo with someone more rooted in old school beats. My guess is that Parker/Shipp/etc would sound really cool over someone like DJ Premier (who's no stranger to dissonant piano loops).

I had a short period in my misspent youth amidst the prog scene-E.L.P. started off OK but soon disappeared up their own backsides,they may still be up there,or did I read somewhere that Emerson was doing something "jazzy" these days.

I should point out the beats are minimal on "High Water",there's plenty of space for the musicians.

I was going to pass this one by as I thought that "Sunrise over Brooklyn" ten minute plus monotony just went on forever. After seeing JSngry's rec on this elsewhere I downloaded a few cuts from iTunes. I love how the 'avant-garbage' at the onset of "Intrigue in the House of India" leads into a frenetic cuban montuno (?) and lays open to the flute of Daniel Carter. The funky "Get Your Hand Off My Shoulder, Pig" and the Philly rave on "Get Modal" made my $2.97 very well spent. :tup