Pat Metheny & Charlie Haden

Caught this show on Friday night, here in Stuttgart. It was FANTASTIC. If you like the Missouri Sky album, you'll love this show! Although I thought it was a little expensive (€45 for just average seating), I really enjoyed their performance, which lasted a little over two hours. The audience appeared to be something of a mix of traditional jazz fans, as well as younger guitar fans.

Pat Metheny came out first, and played three solo numbers, which were quite nice. One was a cover of Norah Jones' "Don't Know Why", which was very well done - not straightahead, but very subdued. Then he broke out his 42-string "Picasso" guitar (weird looking contraption!), and played a nice oriental-textured tune. I wish I had a setlist so I could tell you which tunes were played. After this, Pat left the stage and Charlie Haden came on and did a solo tune, which was also mellow but elegant. I wish his bass had been mixed just a tiny bit higher for the evening, but it still sounded great.

Then Pat came back out, and the rest of the show was pretty much devoted to music from the Missouri Sky album, as far as I could tell. The one song they annouced was "Blues for Pat", which Haden wrote for Pat, and which originally came out on Metheny's '83 ECM album Rejoicing. At any rate, it was a SOLID performance, with both playing beautifully and very "together". Pat & Charlie came out for two encores, both due to standing ovations from the audience (probably about 2000-2500 people).

After the show I waited around and was able to meet Metheny, who signed a couple of my cds for me. He was very friendly, and answered questions from some of the fans. He's going to be doing a trio thing with Christian McBride (didn't catch the drummer's name) shortly. Charlie Haden didn't come out afterward, so I was a bit disappointed in that. I wanted to get him to sign my copy of the Trane/Cherry Avant Garde album. Maybe next time. I have his autograph from a couple years back anyway, but would've like it on the 'Trane album.

All in all a fine show, and well worth it if they come to your neck of the woods.

Sounds great. Too bad they won't be coming to this part of the world. I'm hoping to catch that trio tour in the fall, though. Antonio Sanchez is the drummer, as I understand it. There's been rumours of a sequel to Missouri Sky, though it's hard to imagine how they could "top" it.

I've heard that Charlie has a serious case of tinnitus, and wears hearing protection onstage at all times. This has sometimes led to problems for the engineers trying to get a good level out front, as he's been known to shoot dirty looks their way if he feels it's too loud.

Thanks for posting your review!

That wouldn't surprise me about Haden's hearing problems, based on the other night.

Not sure about a sequel to Missouri Sky, but I asked the "sound guy" after the show if they were going to put a live album out from this tour, and he said they'd been recording all of the shows so far, so it was possible. I also asked Pat this question later, and he said maybe. So I'll keep my fingers crossed.

I like the Trio albums (studio & live) that recently came out, so if there's a studio album with McBride/Sanchez coming out, I'd be looking forward to that alot as well!

-Erik

• 1 year later...