Who Is/Was Billy Wooten?

JSngry

New arrivals at the ol' Dusty Groove...

In This World

Lost Tapes

I'd grab 'em both if they weren't so pricey. Anyone heard these? I really dig that live Wooden Glass album...

In case anyone cares, In this World is pretty cheesy. Very different vibe, kind of tires to be a concept album of some sort and just lays it on thick. I think I've listened to it two or three times and put it away. Lost Tapes has some good stuff, but they would have done better to add the Wooden Glass tracks as bonus and put the others on In this World. I can't recommend it for the price, as it's about half good stuff.

While I like Wooden Glass, I don't think it's worth the stupid amounts of money the original pressings go for. In fact, I'd say it's kind of hard to justify at the P-Vine reissue price unless you're really into the vibes and the rare groove thing. If it was a domestic pressing, I'd say no brainer.

(Interesting side story, I heard through the grapevine that Billy had taken to harassing a local (I'm in Indy) record dealer who had become known as a pretty reliable source for Wooden Glass vinyl. To the best of my knowledge, the guy was just selling records he'd bought, wasn't bootlegging or anything, but when Billy found out this guy was getting $800 for that LP, he started demanding a cut. Don't know what that was about, but hopefully the dude is getting a cut of the CD sales anyway.)

• 1 month later...

Crazy world, I managed to inadvertently see Billy Wooten last week. We went to a NPR thing to hear Peter Sagal (host of Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me) speak and there was a dinner before hand. All evening I was looking at the vibe player providing the mood music (with his Yamaha keyboard accompaniment) thinking: "that looks like Billy Wooten." Well, it was. Didn't get a chance to speak to him or anything, but glad to see he's still out there doing it, even if the "it" in this case was some cheesy cocktail hour stuff.

Crazy world, I managed to inadvertently see Billy Wooten last week. We went to a NPR thing to hear Peter Sagal (host of Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me) speak and there was a dinner before hand. All evening I was looking at the vibe player providing the mood music (with his Yamaha keyboard accompaniment) thinking: "that looks like Billy Wooten." Well, it was. Didn't get a chance to speak to him or anything, but glad to see he's still out there doing it, even if the "it" in this case was some cheesy cocktail hour stuff.

He plays a ton of this type event here in indy

m~