JEF GILSON ET MALAGASY / ZAO

Bluerein

Hello all,

does anyone (Brownie?) know anything about this band/recording from Malagasy?

There's a reissue in Japan with the title above but AMG doesn't list it and the Lord discography has the personel and dates but I'm curious about the music played.

I hope someone knows this and can tell me all about it.

Cheers and thanks,

Reinier

I have yet to hear this reissue. This was recorded in Madagascar in the sixties.

This is how the Paris Jazz Corner site - http://www.parisjazzcorner.com/ - announces the disc:

''This is a forgotten masterpiece that we are proud to offer you 2 weeks before its worldwilde release !

Recorded in tanannarive and Paris at the turn of the 60s, the music of the young Malagasy players and their mentor Jef Gilson evokes Dorothy Ashby, Coltrane and the best Chicago honkers. Their version of 'The Creator has a masterplan'competes with the original (some of us even think it is better), the drive of the malagasy percussions and the haunting sound of the valiha (traditionnal harp) will put you in an enlighting trance.

Featuring :

Sylvain Marc (bass), Serge Rahoerson, Georges Rahoerson, Arnaud Razafy, Del Rabenja, Ange 'zizi' Japhet

CD, stereo, new, 14.00 euros

[16.80 US$, 1,848.00 ¥)

Record's condition : S

Cover's condition : S ''

I am not a big fan of Jef Gilson albums but that one might be worth investigating.