A Danish Jazz Legend just Died

Victor Christensen

Sad News (At least for me)

Danish Tenorplayer Bent Jaedig have died just recently from cancer 68 years old, after a very short period of illness. He was a great muscian in the bebop tradition and with his own sound, built on Rollins, Mobley and Parker. I've known him for 44 years and he was a great person, warm and so full of stories about jazz. He has been all over the world (several times to the States) and almost everybody in the international jazz community knew him. I know that some members of this board have records with him. It's a great loss for me and for jazz, his funeral was a very moving thing, there were between 400-500 people in the church, and after that there were a funeral party at a local jazzclub, were there were a lot of music played for Bent.

Thanks Bent for the music and for the human being you were.

RIP Bent

In sadness

Vic

Bent was a great musician and an incredibly kind man.

I saw him live so many times that I can't even remember how many. We had many a talk in the past here or there, the last time at the Copenhagen Jazz Festival 2002 at which he radiated good humour and played fantastically. He always joined up with "NIELS JØRGEN STEEN'S A-TEAM" for the annual big band bash in "Kongens Have" (he always got the best laughs) and played with his quartet all around town. He was scheduled again for this year.

Another great player gone.

I'll miss him.