Braxton Recomendations

RDK

Though i have a few old Lps and cassettes, I've never really been able to get into Anthony Braxton's music. But I also haven't given him a chance in many years and I'm now much more open to him. I noticed that emusic is now carrying the Leo label and Braxton seems well represented by them. So what are some of his "better" - and by better i also mean more accessible and somewhat less "out" - recordings on Leo that this Braxton neophyte might try? Remember, I want to embrace him, not be frightened away at first listen... ;)

Most of the Arista twofer LP of Braxton live from the 1970s (quartet with Kenny Wheeler & George Lewis as the horns on each date) was issued as a single CD simply called Live a little while back--it's o/p now but shouldn't be impossible to find, & it's as good a place to start as any. Wish I still had my copy: a drummer I knew absconded with my copy because he couldn't get enough of Barry Altschul's performance on it.

Another good place to start is not in fact a Braxton disc: try Dave Holland's Conference of the Birds. -- Basically, virtually any of Braxton's quartet albums from the 1970s & 1980s are worth picking up.

The Monk album from the 1980s is pretty good too, though I prefer the ballads on it to the fast pieces.

Most of the Leo label discs are not among the most accessible Braxton. On the other hand, Standards 1993 might be the most successful example of Braxton working in a completely straightahead framework. No accessibility problems there.

I agree with alejo that the live European quartet recordings on Leo from the mid-1980s are exceptional. They may not be the most accessible Braxton, but they reward as much attention as you want to give them.

Edited by John L

Try the recent disk of Hill compositions on CIMP!

Really you need to try a standards disk (like the CIMP), a quartet with Crispell disk, a solo disk, and an early free trio disk to get the range for Braxton (oh and yes one of the large ensemble disks I suppose, if you must...). Oh and something with George Lewis.

Edited by David Ayers

Hmmm... listening to some samples I think I'll take the chicken shit approach and try his "standards" albums first. ;) The "Nine Standards" looks pretty good, as does his "piano quartet" albums of standards. What can I say? Some of his stuff scares me... :o:lol:

Hmmm... listening to some samples I think I'll take the chicken shit approach and try his "standards" albums first.  ;)  The "Nine Standards" looks pretty good, as does his "piano quartet" albums of standards.  What can I say?  Some of his stuff scares me...  :o  :lol:

Dont be afraid of this one

g06901ezjgw.jpg

its quality. Its not standards, I really enjoy it & I'm also a Braxton newbie.

RDK - As accessible and somewhat less out:

"Six Monk's Compositions"

David Holland's "Conference of the Birds"

If you can get to hear the first disc of "Charlie Parker Project 1993"

Earlier output as in the recently re-issued quartet and quintet dates on Hat in addition to the contemporaneous, but somwhat earlier, output on Arista Nate made mention of. These bands play his compositions, however, and as much as I like them, some of them do have sections that might be a bit too "out" or "unstructured" to the unacquainted. All that said, I think they're excellent - in particular the dates with Lewis.

I would advise keeping away from his piano playing if you prefer to have a taste of his output that is accessible and somewhat less out.

The previously mentioned Andrew Hill on CIMP is certainly worth checking out. I'd also recommend Eight (+3) Tristano Compositions 1989 For Warne Marsh on Hat. If you want something a little different you could do worse than try Seven Standards 1995. Braxton leads from the piano with Dave Douglas, Thomas Chapin, Mario Pavone and Pheeroan Ak Laff.

If you want something a little different you could do worse than try Seven Standards 1995. Braxton leads from the piano with Dave Douglas, Thomas Chapin, Mario Pavone and Pheeroan Ak Laff.

That'd be my recommendation, too, for Braxton on piano. If nothing else, you get to hear Chapin burn big time, and Douglas, iirc, does himself proud as well.

I believe Dortmund (Quartet) 1976 is still available on hatology. A classic. Get it! The seventies quartets are probably the best place to start with Braxton, and it's unfortunate that so many are OOP. But I've managed to find quite a bit of OOP Braxton over several years of searching used record stores (including my most recent find, Performance (Quartet) 1979, which I believe is still scheduled for re-release on hat--a very, very nice one!).

The Crispell/Dresser/Hemingway quartet is great, but, IMO, not the best place to start trying to appreciate Braxton's music. (I should know, their Santa Cruz disc was my first Braxton, and I couldn't make heads nor tails of it.) I like this band a lot now--when I'm in the right mood for it.

I downloaded a bunch of Leo stuff last night. I'm really enjoying the piano quartet stuff - listening now in fact - and the "9 Standards" discs are very accessible too. I tend to really like a-g players when they're "screeching the standards." A familiar tune, even twisted inside out, gives me a reference point that a straight improv doesn't.

btw, "Conference of the Birds" has been a favorite of mine for 20 years now. :tup

What exactly is his "ghost trance" music?

I believe Dortmund (Quartet) 1976 is still available on hatology.  A classic.  Get it!  The seventies quartets are probably the best place to start with Braxton.

I agree with this, and would also recommend grabbing Quintet (Basel) 1977.

These two, along with "Conference of the Birds", were my introduction to Braxton, and it definitely worked! I'd also recommend Circle's "Paris Concert", but that one might be a little too "out" for your tastes.