Fuller, Byrd, McPherson

sheldonm

Thank guys, the show was a lot of fun. It was my first time at Baker's which is very tiny but pretty cool. The musicians we having a blast and the place was packed to the rafters all three nights. The owner (John Colbert) was very friendly and parked me right in front of the stage each night to photograph; couldn't have had a better time!

SheldonM:

Is Byrd touring or was this a one time occasion?

He was supposed to play here in Portland a few years ago, but had to cancel due to sickness. :(

How was his tone on the horn?

Any talk about them touring?

What a dream show it would be for me! :party:

Jazzkrow,

I think this was a one time thing. Baker's Keyboard Lounge in Detroit has billed themselves at the oldest jazz club in the world and was celebrating their 70th anniversary with 4 days of shows, including Sheila Jordan, Bryd, Fuller, McPherson, Louis Hayes and many other notable musicians from the Detroit jazz scene. I think Bryd (Dr. Byrd) may be teaching around the east coast but I forget where; I believe he still plays some gigs but may not actually tour.

As far as his sound.....the first night he didn't sound well at all but the sound system on this night didn't help.....very loud/crackly....I thought my ears may bleed at any time. His tenor player that night was the original guy in the Blackbyrds. The second night was much better as they got the sound worked out; Charles McPherson stepped in that night with Louis Hayes on drums. I had heard his playing had deterioated a lot so I didn't expect him to sound like his BN days. Actually I thought his second night was pretty enjoyable. Curtis Fuller stopped in the club late that evening but was not scheduled to play until the next night. Byrd is a pretty big guy and moves about pretty slow, not really sure how old he is now??? Ather than that, he appeared to be ok. He was very upbeat and friendly (sat next to me much of the time he wasn't on stage, as the only seat in the place that wasn't full was the one at my two top table). This was the first time I had seen both Byrd and Fuller so it was a blast for me as I sat right at the front edge of the stage for three nights with cameras in hand. It was also great seeing all these guys together as many of them hadn't played together for many, many years.

Mark