THE JAZZ SHOWCASE, CHICAGO

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone have a calendar of events that goes beyond what's on the website (which is usually not as up-to-date as it should be)?

Thanks.

Beyond what Joe has on the schedule, I know of the following.....

March 1-6 Cyrus Chestnut

March 8-13 Pat Martino

March 15-20 Ravi Coltrane

March 22-27 TBD

March 29-April 3 Buster Williams Quartet

April 5-10 Stefon Harris Quartet

April 12-17 Mulgrew Miller Trio

April 19-24 Christian McBride Quartet (w/Ron Blake)

April 26-May 1 Bill Charlap Trio

I know Slide Hampton is also coming but not sure of the date yet. Will post more when I find out!

Mark

• 2 months later...

Anybody know what's coming up in May.  I may be in town 5/13, 5/14.

schedule for that far in advance is not posted yet. the latest they have posted is the John Scofield trio during the first week of May.

The website is often behind what is known to locals or insiders. If anyone gets any info please let me know. Thanks!

Thanks Mark.

I had hoped to see Ravi, but travel plans didn't time out favorably for that one. I've also been meaning to pick up his latest, In Flux.

I did end up seeing Ernestine Anderson as mentioned earlier in the thread. It was an okay show. She was a little more blues than jazz. She reminded me a little of Ruth Brown.

What's the Jazz Showcase like as a club to go SEE people play? I've never been there but would like to go. What's the seating like. Do they boot you out after every set and milk you for as much bread as possible? How liberal, homey-feeling is it? WHERE is it in Chicago, how's the neighborhood? Near hotels, ect?

What's the Jazz Showcase like as a club to go SEE people play? I've never been there but would like to go. What's the seating like. Do they boot you out after every set and milk you for as much bread as possible? How liberal, homey-feeling is it? WHERE is it in Chicago, how's the neighborhood? Near hotels, ect?

The club is a couple 3-4 blocks off of Michigan Avenue in the middle of downtown. They don't kick you out after any show unless they are expected to sell out. I've stayed for both shows many times. They don't serve food and there is no drink minimum; the waitresses are friendly and don't push anything on you. It might hold 200 people at the most and the seats are lined up in the center of the room and along the wall with small tables every few seats or so. Acoustics are very good as far as I'm concerned with really no need for mikes, although they use them. The stage is not real big, not real small; maybe a foot or so above the floor. Rather dark with jazz photos hanging on every square inch of the walls. One huge image of Bird behind the stage that Joe refers to as the "patron saint" of the jazz showcase. My girlfriend says the club is a dump but she hates jazz. I think the club is what it should be. It is a non-smoking room!!! All this for $20.00!!! THE BEST VALUE OF ANY JAZZ VENUE I'VE EVER BEEN TO!

One funny thing happened at the Pat Martino show the other night. A guys sitting next to me and Sal asked who the guy was in the picture above the stage :blink: (bird). One of the musicians stopped to explain to the guy who he was. This same guys requested that Martino play "Sunny" which he did; the guy was in "heaven"!

Mark

One of the musicians stopped to explain to the guy who he was.  This same guys requested that Martino play "Sunny" which he did; the guy was in "heaven"!

Wow. Always amazed at how gracious the giants are. I know lesser musicians who would have scoffed at that. Beautiful. At the same time, I'd love to be naive enough to ask Pat Martino for a song request!

Edited by Soul Stream

One funny thing happened at the Pat Martino show the other night. A guys sitting next to me and Sal asked who the guy was in the picture above the stage :blink: (bird). One of the musicians stopped to explain to the guy who he was. This same guys requested that Martino play "Sunny" which he did; the guy was in "heaven"!

Yeah, what a fool.

Soul Stream...you are within walking distance from several hotels, and a short cab ride from many more. Its just north of the loop, so its still has those nice downtown Chicago surroundings. Very safe neighborhood.

I've been wanting to visit Chicago and go to the Jazz Showcase for years, as my business trips to Chicago have been few in number and very brief.

I'm also eager to hear blues guitarist Melvin Taylor live again, having caught him in New York a few years back. Anybody here ever heard him at Rosa's? Is it in a safe neighborhood?

I will be at the Showcase this weekend to see Junior Mance and probably each of the other shows; August is always Charlie Parker Month at the Showcase, as they ususally have performers that had played with or are heavily influenced by Bird!!!

~July 27-August 1~Junior Mance Trio

~August 3-August 8~ Charles McPherson

~August 10-August 15~Lou Donaldson/Lonnie SMith

~August 17-August 22~ Roy Haynes Quartet

~August 24-August 29~ Donald Harrison Quintet

~August 31-Spetember 5~ Ira Sullivan

~September 7-12~Toshiko Akiyoshi Trio

~September 14-19~Ernestine Anderson

~September 21-26~David Sanchez Quartet

~September 28-October 3~ McCoy Tyner Trio

~October 5-10~ Danilo Perez Trio

~October 12-17~ Dave Holland Quartet

~October 19-24~Pharoah Sanders Quartet

~October 26-31~Rufus Reid Quintet

Mark

Where did you get this schedule? The site only shows up through April or May I think. I'm curious because I was just passing on the info to one of the musicians who's suppose to play and he thought the slot was earlier in the month and wanted to verify...

Thanks...

....a funny story while I'm here. I was at the Showcase a few weeks ago and a guy came through the door and asked Joe if he could sell him tickets to Ravi Coltrane. Joe said he didn't sell advanced tickets and that he would need to buy them on the day of the show. The guys was a little freaked and said he knew it would be a sell out and he didn't want to miss it....then Joe said with a straight face.....it's not John Coltrane :P !

I was fortunate to go with Mark and Sal to Pat Martino. It was one of the best sets of music I've ever seen. The venue is spectacular for jazz. Very dignified but not pretentious. You just go and soak it in. It's really close to heaven for me. And Joe Segal - I could care less what kinda guy he is. I'm glad he has lasted through thick and thin and is still presenting all these top notch guys/gals. I hope his son continues the business!

I hope to get back to see the Scofield trio. That is one sickass band!

cb-a