Purchasing Used Speakers

sonnyhill

I am just about to purchase my first real hi-fi. I have about $4k to spend on an integrated amp and speakers. I've settled on Blue Circle's CS amp for my integrated. I'll probably purchase that new.

For speakers, I am still a little up in the air, but I think that I am leaning towards Meadowlark Kestrel 2s link.

Meadowlark speakers are sometimes available on sites like Audiogon. Has anyone out there had any experience in purchasing speakers from Audiogon or any comparable site?

Additionally, if anyone out there has the Kestrel 2s or a CS please share your experiences with those pieces of equipment.

Thanks.

I've bought and sold a few things on Audiogon, but not speakers. Never a problem. Too bad you are looking for an integrated, as I have a 60 WPC tube amp for sale. :D

I guess it would be good if you found a local seller on Audiogon/Ebay for the Kestrels. You could go check them out before you bought 'em. Get a feel for the seller by asking lots of questions.

I've heard them a couple times at a friend's house. I liked them for jazz, vocals and most lighter music, especially. Clean, realistic and musical. They may have trouble keeping up with harder rock and big classical stuff. They are a nice sized and good looking speaker. They do not require much power.

Wolff, I'm not in the market at the moment, but what tube amp do you have, and what did you pair it with?

As for buying on audiogon, I would suggest that you search the threads at www.audioasylum.com, where there is a lot of audiogon-related activity. Mostly, I've hear good things, but there have been some horror stories. As for buying speakers, I would suggest that you try to find sellers within your driving area and see if they will let you audition the speakers before buying. This also eliminates shipping problems and expense (something to consider).

Thanks for the responses.

Wolff or Leeway (or anyone else for that matter) do you know of any other speaker in the Kestrel 2's price range ($2K) that I might consider that functions well with a broad range of music (including hard rock and big classical)?

Thanks.

Edited by sonnyhill

Sorry, but I can't get very specific. Check into some of the larger Infinity models. Is the Kappa line still in production? The model I heard was very affordable and handled rock like champ.

Obviously, look for something bigger than the Kestral's 6" midrange/woofer.