Good sound card???

mmilovan

I am looking for a good sound card that will replace my existing SB Live! at my system. The idea of new one is to have 24Bit/96KHz sample rate for straight linear wav recording. I was thinking of new SB product such as Audigy 2, but I was told these are not such good products.

Is there any alternative? I saw Terratec, and people says they are satisfied with them, but I also saw M Audio card for around 250 EUR – that is called “audiophilic”, or especially designed for that use. Still it is among expensive ones, so I wonder, are there recommendations among others products, or it must be price class around 250 EUR to get audiophile results while recording with sound card…

What are yours experiences?

mmilovan,

I have the M-Audio Audiophile 2496 card and I've been very happy with it. And fortunately, I no longer need it so if it's something you want, I'd be happy sell mine to you. It is like new. The reason I no longer need it is that I have two MOTU interfaces for multitrack harddisk recording now.

I've used it to transfer LPs onto CD (recording from an LP preamp straight into the RCA jacks on the soundcard) and have gotten fantastic results. It is very clean, very simple to use.

Let me know.

I'm happy with a Terratec DMX 6FIRE 24/96 LT, which cost 130 Euro. The "full version" cost 200 Euro and has a breakout box with more connections, but the performance is the same.

It uses the technology from the Terratec EWX 24/96, which is one of the best cards in the 250 Euro range.

These are good cards for 2 channel recording in 16bit/44.1Khz or 24Bit/96KHz.

You're probably not using correct gain staging doing that if the jack is truly a mic input. Microphones have inherently low signals which must be boosted way more than standard line levels (which is what your phono preamp is outputting). Any amplification contributes some amount of noise and inexpensive computer mic preamps are especially noisy.

Do you have to turn the input way down in order to not get distortion? Then it really is a mic input and you should use the line input if at all possible.