JOE FARNSWORTH-IT'S PRIME TIME

jazzkrow

This cd looks like it could be real special.

Features Farnsworth with Benny Golson, Eric Alexander, Jim Rotondi, Curtis Fuller, and Harold Mabern-among others.

What a line-up!

Is it as special as this line-up sounds?

I'm itchin' to find out.... :w

Anyone out there heard this one yet?

I have the Japanese hybrid CD. Was around $24 when I bought it.

Sounds fine to me.

I don't have a SACD player, so I'm not getting the SACD layer.

BTW, the music is very fine. One slightly hesitant Curtis Fuller solo, but otherwise he sounds fine & everyone else is in excellent form.

It's not (to me) an obviously drummer led date, i.e. not a lot of drum solos.

Hybrid SACD at Red Trumpet for $29.99.

It says special order, 3-10 days.

They're usually pretty good at getting what they say they can get.

Otherwise buy the new regular issue on 441 for less.

Edited by jlhoots

I have this from Hiroshi Tanno a few months back for around $30 (inc. shipping). I got the SACD hybrid so I could hear it on my SACD player. I listened to it a few times and as stated, other than a couple of not-so-great Fuller solos, the disc is pretty good. I wouldn't say it was better than other dates out there in this genre, but certainly worth picking up the CD. I would not recommend spending $30 for the SACD... it is not that good. :) I wish I had known that these sessions were coming out on CD on this new label. I could have saved a bunch.

Later,

Kevin

As an aside, half of that line-up (Alexander/Farnsworth/Rotondi) also appear on this Venus release from '03.    Title track is called 'Our Father Who Art Blaky'.  Killer.  Play it loud.

Boy, did you hit that one on the head O' Weize One! I have been singing the praises of this CD all over the place. Now this CD is worth the $30 import price... and then some!! :D

Later,

Kevin

EDIT: Actually the title of this CD is "No Problem", not "Our Father Who Art Blaky".

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan

As an aside, half of that line-up (Alexander/Farnsworth/Rotondi) also appear on this Venus release from '03.    Title track is called 'Our Father Who Art Blaky'.  Killer.   Play it loud.

Boy, did you hit that one on the head O' Weize One! I have been singing the praises of this CD all over the place. Now this CD is worth the $30 import price... and then some!! :D

Later,

Kevin

EDIT: Actually the title of this CD is "No Problem", not "Our Father Who Art Blaky".

I got it from Cadence for only $20.

• 7 months later...