Fats Waller Centennial Edition

medjuck

Pretty sure Fats wasn't ever in an MGM film. He was in Story Weather (A Fox film with amazing sound quality for a 40's film), King of Burlesque(which I have never seen) and the RKO film Hooray for Love(Which they used to run on AMC a fair bit)

I bet the clips are from the soundies that they also used to run on AMC and A&E amazingly used to run. There are some tapes and dvds of those clips around and about....would be interested to know what is on this dvd though!

Edited by BERIGAN

The songs on the cd look good but I'm particularly intertested in the DVD that comes with it. Anyone know what's on it? Fats did a great number with Bill Robinson in a crappy MGM musical. I'd be real happy if it was included-- though I doubt it is.

Are you talking about "Living in a Great Big Way"? I've got the recording of that, on a 2-CD Rhino comp of jazz-in-movies numbers.

I think we've got a promo of this at the station--I'll ask Joe what's on it.

Yes:" Living in a Great Big Way". I think I've got the Rhino cd too. Lot's of important stuff on it.

(Much debate on the EKE list-serve as to whether it really is Duke's band behind Ivy Anderson in

A Day at the Races.)

I have the number on an old Criterion Lazer disc of Swing Time as an extra. And Berigan's probably right-- I think it was from an RKO film. Hooray for Love I think.

Just got the CD/DVD.

It says the footage is from KING Of Burlesque (Twentieth Century Fox) and an animated cartoon of "Your Feets Too Big"

Alitte over 18 minutes total for the DVD.

Tracks:

Joint Is Jumpin'

Ain't Misbehaving

Honeysuckle Rose

Your Feets Too Big

I Got My Fingers Crossed

cartoon (with Fats music)

Your Feets Too Big

I've gotten the Glenn Miller and Artie Shaw CENTENNIAL COLLECTIONS too.

The Artie Shaw has some clips that were on other DVDs, but these clips had just a bit more and a better picture. Also there was a Artie interview. (when he was about 80 something)

The Glenn Miller DVD has some footage from the movie Sun Valley Serenade (which is available) and other historic films. (not available?)

Looking forward to getting the Ellington, Goodman, and Coleman Hawkins sets.