NAD C542 CD player - any comments

Phil Meloy

I'm going to purhase a new CD player. My old Technics is on the way out as some of you may have gleaned from my earlier thread. Does anyone have any experience of or comments regarding the NAD C542? I can get it from Richer Sounds for £279 (that's pretty close to $500 US). It'll be combined with a NAD C352 integrated amplifier and a pair of Mordaunt Short 906 Avant speakers. The Cambridge Audio Azur 640C and the Marantz CD7300 are possible alternatives and are slightly less expensive £30 less for the Cambridge and £50 for the Marantz but from the reading I've done I think the NAD might have the edge and may be well worth the extra. Thanks for any advice you might be able to offer.

Hi jazzshrink - yeah I checked out those two threads but unfortunately there wasn't much info that was specific to The NAD C542 - understandable I expect since I believe the NAD C452 only became available in the USA last December. I was hoping someone had bought one since you posted your thread in May. I'm not considering any other model NAD. I have come across this review in a New Zealand audio mag which is pretty positive:

http://www.audioenz.co.nz/2004/nad_542.shtml

Also someone has mentioned that the September issue of What Hi-Fi has a comparison between the Arcam DiVA CD73T, the Cambridge Audio Azur 640C, NADC542 and the Rotel RCD-02. I haven't had a chance to check it myself yet but apparently all but the Rotel got 5 stars with the Cambridge winning mainly on price/value for money, but the NAD offered a better midrange while the Arcam topped on sound quality and upgradability.

Edited by Phil Meloy

Based on my pleasurable and trouble-free experience with my NAD C541i CD player, I would easily buy the C542 if I needed a CD player now. NAD acquired a poor (and over-generalized) reputation for its CD players with the C540 and C520, but that's no longer relevant.

I also like Rotel CD players, but NAD offers better value and equivalent sound.

I won't speak for RDK but I did that exactly: bought a universal Sony changer that was modified by my favorite tube amplifer and speaker builder, Steve Deckert, to have a tubed output running directly off the Digital Analog Converter. Plays cds, SACD and dvd, and MP3 cds. IT BLOWS AWAY, sound quality wise, my last cd player, which was no slouch, a Dynaco CD2 which I very much enjoy. I wanted to have one player for cd and SACD; there are a number of SACDs that I want to get and SACD is an improved digital format I find (though not the ne plus audio ultra that some fanatics of the format seem to claim). This Decware DEC 685 took a long time to break in, but I am getting wonderful sound! Had to force myself to shut off the "Sketches of Spain" SACD to come to work about 40 minutes ago. . . I could have stayed listening all day if I had my druthers!

Pretty much what Lon said. SACD is a superior format overall (though I still think good mastering is the key to a great-sounding disc). Yeah, there are high-end CD players that probably sound better than the cheapest SACD players, but if I were investing money now in a new player I'd get one that played both formats.