Kylie M./Queen Latifah to make "jazzy" CDs

Chrome

Kylie jazzes it up

By Natacha Butler

August 25, 2004

PERKY songbird Kylie Minogue is set to reinvent herself once again ditching sexy pop to record an album of smooth, sultry, jazz tunes.

Smooth ... Kylie plans to get sultry and refined.

The Chocolate singer also plans to perform the grown-up songs in intimate "smoky clubs" rather than sell-out arenas.

According to British tabloid The Sun the 36-year-old star feels the time may have come to slip out of the micro-minis and take her career in a more classy direction.

"Kylie will release a greatest-hits album first but then a jazzy album. She wants a more grown-up sound to reflect how she has matured," a friend said.

"She’s still going for a sexy look but is 36 and wants to be more refined."

Kylie, who has dabbled with live jazz versions of Santa Baby and Better The Devil You Know, has already been busy working on some tracks for the forthcoming album.

"Kylie has recorded a few tracks ... and they sound brilliant. Her fans are in for a very pleasant surprise," the friend said.

The new direction is sure to be welcomed by her legion of fans but it may put the chart-topper's relationship with French hunk Olivier Martinez under more strain.

Workaholic Kylie recently revealed she planned to make more time for Olivier after the actor was spotted cavorting in St Tropez with shapely actress Michelle Rodriguez.

Olivier, 38, and Michelle, 26, who co-starred in S.W.A.T last year, have been pictured having fun together jet-skiing and partying on P. Diddy's yacht in the glamorous French seaside resort.

Kylie denied reports the relationship was on the rocks but conceded she needed to be around her Gallic lover more in the future.

"I've decided to make some changes so that I can make sure there's time for me and Olivier," she said.

Kylie must be hoping her foray into the jazz world doesn't clash with her sizzling hot French affair.

NEWS.com.au

Queen Latifah croons to new crowd

Queen Latifah changes from rap to a traditional sound on her new album.

Associated Press File Photo

By Elysa Gardner

USA Today

She's been a hip-hop icon, an entrepreneur and an Oscar-nominated actress. Now Queen Latifah is trying on a new hat: traditional crooner.

On Sept. 28, Latifah will release her first CD featuring all sung vocals. "The Dana Owens Album," which reintroduces the 34-year-old Jersey girl by her given name, includes pop, jazz and R&B classics such as "Lush Life," "I Put a Spell on You," "Hard Times" and "Hello Stranger." AOL First Listen premiered two additional tracks Tuesday: "California Dreamin'," made famous by the Mamas and the Papas, and "Baby Get Lost," previously a hit for Dinah Washington.

"I've always loved to sing, and I've always wanted to do an album like this," Latifah says. "Even on my rap albums, you can hear the influence of jazz and big band and reggae and all forms of music, though I could only sing on the hooks."

It was Latifah's movie career rather than any specific musical projects that led to "Owens." "I got a lot of requests after "Livin' Out Loud,'" she says, referring to the 1998 film in which she played a lounge singer. Then came "Chicago," in which Latifah got more praise for an even flashier singing role, Mama Morton.

The born-again singer is set to appear on "The Today Show" and says she would eventually like to tour "if the album is successful." In the meantime, Latifah has her plate full with a medley of movie outings. On Sept. 3, her production company Flava Unit will unveil its first feature, "Cookout."

"It's the story of an athlete who graduates college and goes into professional basketball, and how everything changes in his life. It culminates at this big barbecue, or cookout, as we call them." Latifah will appear in "Taxi," due later this fall, and "Beauty Shop," a spinoff of the "Barbershop" films.

It was Latifah's movie career rather than any specific musical projects that led to "Owens." "I got a lot of requests after "Livin' Out Loud,'" she says, referring to the 1998 film in which she played a lounge singer. Then came "Chicago," in which Latifah got more praise for an even flashier singing role, Mama Morton.

In fact, didn't she garner an Oscar nomination for her role in "Livin' Out Loud?" If not for acting, then for singing? I remember her singing a song from that movie at the Oscars that year, and she knocked me out! Since then, I've been hoping she'd do a project like this!

Expect Rod Stewart to sue Kylie for plagiarism.

Did Kylie get her stomach pumped?

:lol:

I had completely forgotten about that story about Rod! Oh man, where do the brain cells go?

It was retold for years in my schools, and often as not the teller of the tale did so in a solemn serious tone like he was Dan Rather.

The Urban Legends page mentions Alanis Morrissette, Li'l Kim, Fiona Apple (what an honor, I didn't think she had enough fans to make up stories), and of course, Britney. Others too, many male, including The Bay City Rollers, but no Kylie.

My sources tell me to expect a Cybill Shepherd "jazz" record later this year... :wacko:

You're no doubt aware of Cybil's 70s sides, one of which featured Stan Getz? "Jazzy" more than "jazz".

Are they good? well, uh...yeah, sure! Why not? :g

But they're not horrible either. She's a saucy wench, that Cybil Sheppard is, and if she's not a "good singer", she's in no way a bad one either.