Jandek

dave9199

After listening to Chair Beside A Window and a nap, I'm back. I would call this album his first great album. I think by Chaney listing each song that you might feel the same way. Down In The Mirror has I think some of the best lyrics for the tuning he's using. Very spooky! European Jewel with drums & bass sounds like The Velvet Underground's offspring forming a band; by which I mean I like it a lot, especially the tension building quiet then loud ending.

I agree with you 100% on Unconditional Authority. Not much lyrically, but the energy of his playing makes up for that. I wonder if that's a universal; the song may not be good, but if the delivery if sincere, that counts more. You Think You Know How To Score I liked and the harmonica wasn't blaring in that one.

Nancy Sings is fantastic. I like the etherial voice. It made me pay attention to the lyrics. I think he had those lyrics and heard a female voice singing them. They are really good. No Break is the throwaway B-side to Nancy Sings, but I still like that one also.

Mostly All From You, yeah that simple lyric works great. I think by now he's made simple, repeating lyrics work for him. I bet the title of Blue Blister is because that's what he got from playing it. He's using his fingers & pulling at the strings really hard and again, I like that. I didn't hear what you heard in The First End. I listened again after reading your post & didn't hear it, but I realized I loved the song.

There's a couple of lines in Love, Love that jumped out at me that go something like:

Use your talents/Don't bury them in the ground

I wondered if he was talking to himself as he almost gave up music until Chusid came along. You mention his foot tapping-yes that's another thing about Down In A Mirror that makes it so great for me, but on any song it works. I think it all comes together for him on this album for the first time.

Edited by dave9199

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just listened again to Jessica from Later On and are you talking about the sound you hear while he sings? Someone on the Jandek site mentioned maybe he ran these old albums through some software where this can happen. It doesn't sound backwards, it just appears in the frequencies he sings in. Someone else said it sounded watery, which is what I hear.

The songs I've listened to more than once I'm starting to really love. I may have to relisten to #1 & 2 again. Maybe we should recap every 5 albums and compare growth from set to set. Who knows how long it'll be until we both (and John) can order the next box of 20 when his 40th album comes out.

Edited by dave9199

Agreed Dave. Let's slow it down.

Re Jessica, when I first heard that song, I made a note on the lyrics sheets I had printed out from Seth's site: What's playing in the background? Whisper-like voice.

Listening again, there's definitely something there. Listen to the first line: Go gently to your chambers Jessica. While it's there during that line, it's more pronounced as the line ends and before the next line begins. It's a very creepy, whispery vocal. (If I had headphones, I might be able to have a better chance of determining its origin.) It ends just as he sings Climb the stair...*. It has that electronic swish sound that the recorded human voice has when played in reverse.

From Seth's site:

Go gently to your chambers Jessica

Take your ruffled skirt by your dainty hand

*Understand, (<--- WRONG: I hear: Climb the stair) then go gently to your chambers Jessica

Open a window, greet the skies

Hello nature in your knowing eyes

There's a couple of lines in Love, Love that jumped out at me that go something like:

Use your talents/Don't bury them in the ground

I wondered if he was talking to himself as he almost gave up music until Chusid came along.

It seems that, while Chusid could be a shit, I believe you're right in that apparently Chusid's optimism -- even though feigned, bastard! -- kept Jandek going. Thank you Mr. C! (Bastard...)

Well after a great album, it's always possible to put out a clunker. Living In A Moon So Blue is just that. Shorter songs, but also light on lyrics. Felt extremely improvised. I felt before he may have had the lyrics written out and improvised their placement, but this whole album has that feel. It's not bad (how could it get any worse? ^_^ ), but it's lacking coming after Chair Beside A Window. It's all acoustic, all same tuning, etc. Some songs he really stretches the vocal which is what I find interesting about the album. But particular songs don't stand out as much, althought a couple come to mind: She Fell Down lyrically sounds like a literal memory of a simple incident, and the most intersting song musically is the last one, Crime Pays. Most percussive. Also the second song, One Step Ahead is an instrumental which I'm surprised he would do considering the lack of chords. Oh yes and one song, I think Supression, he actually PUTS HIS HAND ON THE FRETBOARD!!! It's o.k. Will take more listenings to connect with.

COR0743.JPEG

Living In A Moon So Blue :tdown

You've pegged this one beautifully, Dave. I agree with you almost completely. Especially well observed is Jandek's being ill-prepared and thus having to improvise -- and his being found lacking. (I'm extrapolating a bit. Hope you don't mind.)

Tunes I liked? Well... that's hard to say. :unsure: I like the lyric to Supression and the anger with which it's delivered. I like the lyric to All In An Apple Orchard but guitar-wise, dullsville. I have to wonder if the words to Anticipation were / are perhaps (I HOPE!) to be prophetic:

Please, oh please

It’s just that

I got some kinda anticipation

Favorite tune: Relief Of The Night

I wonder why he apparently chose / decided to add percussion to so many of the tunes. (Not his always excellent foot tapping but an added plink, plink, plink...) Maybe he knew he had a stinker on his hands and he thought the percussion might help propel some of the more lethargic, rambling duds forward. Come to think of it, I have little doubt that Jandek must has been very dissatisfied with this album. I can only think that it might have been a good idea if he had scrapped that afternoon's recording session and went to a movie instead. (Alone, of course. Back row, extreme left corner. 1982. Hmmm.... what would have been playing? E.T. maybe. :alien: )

Imagine what was recorded that afternoon that wasn't good enough to make it to this album! Okay, we both know: it all made it to this album.

This one's more a parody of a Jandek album.

Listening to:

"Foreign Keys" (1985)

the MASSIVE "Put it Away" is on as I type, someone needs to extol the genius of Nancy too--

great great stuff & serious dark lyrics on this one too.

best line in the Coley interview from the Kurt Anderson radio show thing goes like I don't what you can say about people that don't get it-- they're just squares.

a-fuckin'-men, brother.

Corwood Clem

Professor Corwood Clem: In your learned opinion, how are Dave and I doing on our opionions of the first five Jandek albums?

Nancy? A genius? I must admit, I've yet to detect her talent. (She's still around for CD #11, released in 1985? I had it in my head that she disappeared from the scene a bit earlier than that. But who knows when each of these albums was actually recorded.)

She's still around for CD #11, released in 1985? I had it in my head that she disappeared from the scene a bit earlier than that. But who knows when each of these albums was actually recorded.)

It's believed Blue Corpse is about their breakup & that came out in 1987. So she's probably spinkled throughout until them (Mmmmm...sprinkles.)

I chuckled at your post Chaney. Wasn't Poltergeist out that same summer? I wonder if he goes to movies that are lighter than his songs or just as dark.

Hey JohnB, what did you order from Corwood? The first 20?

Hey Clementine, what albums do you have?

And in another Simpsons reference; when I occasionaly yell JANDEK! with my wife around, she said, "It sounds like Grampa Simpson." So now, I try to imitate him as I say it. Instead of The Matlock Expressway, it's the Jandek Expressway.

JAAAAAANDEEEEEEK! (With the way it writes out, it looks like Ren Hoack is saying it, "Jandek, you bloated sack of protoplasm!")

Sorry Chaney, I can't help but to keep plowing through & reviewing quickly. My next post I'll recap the first 5 with having listened to them all again (yeah I don't have much to do either).

So here's how I rank the first 5:

KEEPERS

1. Chair Beside A Window

PERSONAL OPINION

2. Later On

3. Ready For The House

4. Six & Six

FOR COMPLETISTS ONLY

5. Living In A Moon So Blue

Keepers are, obviously, the best ones; personal opinion are the middle ground that vary from person to person (these are in my opinion order of good to lesser, but that doesn't mean Six & Six is horrible); and for completists only, well, you know. I still enjoyed them all. And I did hear what you heard on Jessica, Chaney. Just when you think it can't sound any more creepier...

Upwards & onwards. Look out Chaney, #6, Staring At The Cellophane, is Living In A Moon So Blue, only (sigh) less so. As Moon starts with a song called Gretchen, Cellophane starts with a song called Michael. The second song is again an instrumental. He doesn't use his voice in any interesting fashion so even fewer songs stand out at all. One that breaks the mold of the album is Sand I, which is mostly percussive strumming. The biggest weakness of this album is still fewer lyrics, if you can believe that. No wonder he could pump them out at such a fast rate. The last song, Blood & Bone also has something way in the background. At first I thought it was a harmonica, but then it sounded like a cheap organ or something. Another tough one to get through.

:(

OH NO!

I haven't listened to Staring At The Cellophane yet but sounds like its title is highly descriptive of its contents. (I've come to refer to this and the prior one as 'The Twins', as their covers -- and apparently lackluster content -- are so similar.)

Next up: Your Turn To Fall. It's better than the last two, but not great. It has it's moments like the song John Plays Drums. Everything else is solo. The 7th song is called New String & it's just that. He's tuned his low E down an octave and uses that for the rest of the album. This seems to get his lyrical juices flowing again as pretty much every song after that has a verse or two, at least. Dance Of Death is good, but the one that stands out (aside from John Plays Drums) is the last song, They Knew My Game. It's really quiet & makes the most of his shakey vocals. So I'm hoping this is an upswing.

Hey JohnB, what did you order from Corwood? The first 20?

No, I thought about doing that but changed my mind and will be ordering 20 discs (sometime next month) from throughout his career, based on recommendations I've read online and some of the soundsamples I heard on the Aquarius site.

I figure I can always go back and order the missing ones or, based on some of the comments the two of you are making, wait for a few more releases past 40 and avoid some of the real clinkers.

In the meantime, a friend of mine is lending me 9 discs to listen to, so I will start posting my thoughts on those once I have a chance to sit down and digest them.

Still no sign of my "Jandek for Lovers" compilation.

Upwards & onwards. Look out Chaney, #6, Staring At The Cellophane, is Living In A Moon So Blue, only (sigh) less so. As Moon starts with a song called Gretchen, Cellophane starts with a song called Michael. The second song is again an instrumental. He doesn't use his voice in any interesting fashion so even fewer songs stand out at all. One that breaks the mold of the album is Sand I, which is mostly percussive strumming. The biggest weakness of this album is still fewer lyrics, if you can believe that. No wonder he could pump them out at such a fast rate. The last song, Blood & Bone also has something way in the background. At first I thought it was a harmonica, but then it sounded like a cheap organ or something. Another tough one to get through.

Dear Dave,

Had one listen to Staring At The Cellophane. Will listen again.

Forecast: major disagreement lies ahead.

Hope all is well with you and yours.

Sincerely,

Tony

Had one listen to Staring At The Cellophane. Will listen again.

Forecast: major disagreement lies ahead.

Really? Well I'm interested to hear your take on it, and I'm sincere about that. Looking forward to it. I ask if you can include what is different between Cellophane & Moon.

Moon is lazy and haphazard BUT Jandekian.

Cellophane is seriously sullen / sullenly serious BUT less Jandekian.

COR0744.JPEG

Staring At The Cellophane :tup

I'm a bit guarded in my reaction to this one because while I like it, it sounds too little like the Jandek of old and I fear that THIS ALBUM will mark a transition from the brittle vocalist / guitarist to a more mature / professional -- but less interesting -- performer. Also, more of a folk sound on this one and less the blues. (Seems to more often use the brittle vocal style with the blues and a more natural style with the folk.) He also seems to be breaking free of his struggles with the guitar. A good thing? Bound to happen, I guess, but again: that specialness could be lost.

Still fewer lyrics? Can't agree. While a few tunes are little more than a few words, I find this one to be a good blend of the lyrically clear and the opaque.

Anyway, here's the blow by blow: my notes, taken while listening - unexpurgated (icon8.gif):

Michael: Well, maybe if I knew Michael, this tune would have some meaning. Musically: slightly interesting. The FULL lyric:

Michael, Michael

Where are you now?

[repeat]

Maybe if Jandek had waited a week, he could have added: Saw Michael at the 7-Eleven / Buyin' Doritos and a Sprite. ^_^

This Is For You: Nice loping guitar. Jandek sounding as if he's been taking lessons... or at least practicing. Placing more concern on each note played.

Riddles Riddling Me: Loping guitar again; loopy vocal. Jandek again not really getting what it's all about. (Join the club.) No pleas to the lord this time for guidance. Seems content to go with the flow. He could also be singing about relationships with women. Hmmm...

Basic Themes: :mellow:

I See Lights: Foots a tappin'! Is it possible that such a lightweight and lamely played tune could be saved by the thump... thump... thump... of the foot of our Sterl? You be the judge.

Rather Be Blind:

You call me out

From this cave

And now I fall out

Into my grave

You lead the way

I’ll walk behind

I’d rather not try

I’d rather be blind

111 seconds of unease. MAN do I feal this one! 'Nuff said.

Away: :mellow:

Don't Get Too Upset: Thump... thump... thump... :mellow:

A Letter: Loping guitar again. :mellow:

Nevermore: Average. (Not very Jandek-like, this one.)

Sand I: Basically, an instrumental. Dave: How's he playing his guitar? Touching the neck of his guitar?

Nepoleon In Russia: Nepoleon? NEPOLEON?! <_<

Split To The East: Slight. (I can imagine bands maybe wanting to do a cover version of this tune.)

Number 14: Something is quietly playing in the background. Sounds like an organ. Is it possible that this was purposely added when the album made the transition from LP to CD? Like this one. Spooky!

Blood And Bone: Again, same something in the background. :excited:

His skin is stretched tight across his bones

Blood running down his cheeks

Children gazing at his feet

Ladies he’d like to meet

Lonely in that ancient street

Hanging for somebody else

Or everybody else

Christ? OH! Sorry Mel! Jesus, the Christ. :rolleyes:

Hmmmm...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A bit bland as there's such a uniformity of sound throughout. (Hello? Nancy? Yea, it's Sterl. Busy?)

Certainly not a great outing but I feel it's to be recommended. Well worth the $4. :D

Interesting take on it Chaney, but I'm still confused over your like of it & your breakdown. You used 6 blank emoticons & were iffy on a couple others. I'm not trying to argue about it, I'm having a blast doing this. I guess I still don't get how this is different from Moon, in your opinion.

Moon is lazy and haphazard BUT Jandekian.

Cellophane is seriously sullen / sullenly serious BUT less Jandekian.

I'm gonna need more explanation on this. I'll also have to relisten to it.

By the way, what's your ranking of the first 5?

Edited by dave9199

There really are a lot of :mellow: s. It may be the uniformity I mentioned. Not uniformly great buy uniformly good.

I'm going to have another listen to The Twins and I'll post further. (I've listened to each one twice. It usually takes me three listens to form what often ends up being my lasting opinion.)

My ranking of the first 5? Yours looks pretty good, although I might add Ready For The House to the KEEPER list.

I listened to Cellophane & Your Turn To Fall again. I like them better after a second listen, especially Your Turn To Fall. Cellophane isn't as bad as I thought. I may have been all Jandeked out & didn't realize it at the time. I also have to relisten to Moon, though I know it wouldn't change on my list, but I won't listen to it with any expectation either (as it's after Chair Beside A Window which is great, I think that was my problem).

There really are a lot of  :mellow: s.  It may be the uniformity I mentioned.  Not uniformly great buy uniformly good.

I think I get it now. That's how I feel about Six & Six: a good uniform.

If you ever find a woman who likes Jandek, marry her!

Edited by dave9199

Just listened to Living In A Moon So Blue for the third time. If I may, I'd like to change my opinion from :tdown to puke.gif.

For the most part, listless and uninspired in the extreme. (Using the word 'uninspired is a kindness on my part.)

The poorly recorded sound of his guitar on this particular recording also doesn't help as the lows are really not very evident and the instrument is pushed too far back in the mix.

NOT a good album.

Listening to Cellophane now.

(...)

If you ever find a woman who likes Jandek, marry her!

I know of just such a woman. Lives in Cromwell, I believe. :w

I know of just such a woman -- lives in Cromwell, I believe.

Damn straight!

Hey would you put Ready For The House above or below Chair Beside A Window?

Wow. That's a tough one.

I think'll I'll listen to those two agian -- side by side -- and then decide. (Not tonight though and not tomorrow. Maybe Thursday.)

You've made me want to listen to Moon badly now.

Dave, it's getting late. You don't know what you're saying. :blink:

Edited by Chaney

still no sign of "jandek for Lovers", but the package from my friend arrived today. I'll be able to start commenting on some of the earlier Jandek albums in the next few days. I'll start listening later on tonight, after Albert Ayler's Love Cry finishes, and post some thoughts once I have a chance to digest each album.

I'm going to give each album a "clean slate" and try not to be prejudiced by any comments / reviews I have read.

I listened to Moon again. I like it a bit more than I did. Chaney, do you think you like Cellophane over Moon because of his vocalizing is more loose on Moon? That's the major difference I hear between the two. I'm not so sure, but maybe the lyrics are a bit better on Cellophane?

Listen to Moon a third time and you'll find yourself watching the clock, desperately counting the number of tracks remaining, and very nearly moaning in pain. (Seriously, one my third listen to this one, I was slowly slouching further and further down into my chair and I had my hand on my forehead. I was a trooper in that I continued to follow along using the lyric sheet. I was taking notes early on but just had to give up as I could find very few positive elements present.)

Jandek's disinterest in the Moon project seems (and sounds!) evident.

Cellophane is better across the board. (It'd almost have to be although, even when not making a comparison, I like Cellophane.)

I don't know what your sound system is like but do you hear what I desribe above, as to the poor sound on Moon? A case of a bad album made worse, I feel.

Hey would you put Ready For The House above or below Chair Beside A Window?

I listened to Chair Beside A Window (forever after to be referred as Chair) this morning in my office and MAN that's a strong album. I want to listen to both on my home system and then decide. (I think Chair will win.)

still no sign of "jandek for Lovers", but the package from my friend arrived today.  I'll be able to start commenting on some of the earlier Jandek albums in the next few days.  I'll start listening later on tonight, after Albert Ayler's Love Cry finishes, and post some thoughts once I have a chance to digest each album.

I'm going to give each album a "clean slate" and try not to be prejudiced by any comments / reviews I have read.

You'll either agree with our every word or you're OUT of here!

You'll either agree with our every word or you're OUT of here!

I'm listening to his first album, Ready for the House and I really think By the way, first Jandek album is excellent. His abilities as vocalist and guitarist are lacking but it makes no difference. I feel that his vocals are very creative and his guitar playing abilities effective (affective? never could get those words straight). Lyrically, there's great mystery as to what he's trying to convey so each song is a puzzle. (Better print out the lyrics from Tisue's site as Jandek often sings with a folksy, bluesy-type slur.)