Jandek

dave9199

There are MP3's of the show circulating. If you see any links, please post them here!

I've posted requests on a couple of mp3 sites. I'll let you know if I receive a response. (Looks like folks on the Jandek List will most likely find a host for the mp3s.)

~~~~~~~~~~~

Possibly a stupid question but does anyone know how I can print that Jandek (and band) photo? When I send it to my printer, I get a copy of only the upper left side of the photo. Ideally, I'd like to get an 11" x 17" color copy. (I'd ask the office's computer expert but she and I don't get along.)

~~~~~~~~~~~

Interesting posts from David Tibet:

This is David Tibet from Current 93, who played on the Saturday night at the Instal festival.

I can absolutely confirm it was JANDEK live at 5pm on Sunday 17th at the Instal Festival put on by Barry Esson.

He played for an hour with Richard Youngs on bass and Alex Neilsen on drums.

The whole show came about after 7 months of secret negotiations and was done on the basis that Jandek's name was not used in ANY of the publicity at ANY time.

It was absolutely amazing--JANDEK was happy and relaxed and looked great and as Godlike as it comes.

Watch this space... JANDEK is on the loose and he is HUNGRY!!!!!!!

godislove

david tibet +++

Dear All:

this is David Tibet again with some more information for you.

1)JANDEK was absolutely not announced; part of the deal was that no-one would be informed who was playing, just that there was a mystery guest.People turned up at 5 and someone near my wife said: 'There is someone impersonating Jandek on stage.' Then he said: 'F**K! It IS Jandek....'

2) He played for an hour, and used the lyric stand that I used (that was bought for me) the night before.The band rehearsed just once, earier the same day.They were stunning, stunning, stunning--and I do know as I am a MASSIVE fan and have every single vinyl, every CD and even the bar-code/non-bar-code variant release.

3)He never referred to himself as JANDEK--the word was not used at ANY time. He was there as 'a representative from Corwood Industries.'

4)He did not stay in the same hotel as any of the bands, who did not know he was playing either.

5) He did not attend the fetival, except briefly, when SIX ORGANS OF ADMITTANCE were playing.He didn't go for meals or drinks with any of the bands, and didn't attned the post-show party at the hotel. The only person who spoke to him was the band and the promoter and his partner.

6)There are lots of other bits I could add, but can't as they are confidential... but maybe they will come out later. Or not.

ALSO A REQUEST: my wife took a lot of photos. I need to get a CDR of the MP3s; if anyone can send me this CDR I will send them a CDR of the photos she took.

godislove

DAVID TIBET/CURRENT 93 +++

JANDEK ON CORWOOD is now up for pre-order at a cost of $19.95! Not a bad price at all. (Thanks AGAIN Dave for the... :) )

:party:

Edited by Chaney

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still floored by it all. What amplifies it is that I've known about him for only 2 months, got 20 cds not quite a month ago and then he plays out. I can't imagine someone's reaction who's been listening since the 80's & here I am, a fan less than 2 months & BAM! He's definitly smart in getting his cds onto Amazon just before the DVD & the show. The only thing I get sick of is the endless speculating & announcments of disappointment over him having played live. Guess what? He's a real human being just like you.

There are MP3's of the show circulating. If you see any links, please post them here!

I've posted requests on a couple of mp3 sites. I'll let you know if I receive a response. (Looks like folks on the Jandek List will most likely find a host for the mp3s.)

I have someone willing to send it to me on cdr , so, if you aren't able to track the show own on mp3 let me know, and I'll pass along a copy of the disc when it arrives.

I might have to take you up on your kind offer, John.

I just did the whole SoulSeek thing for the first time. The Jandek List mentions that "mflaum" has the file. I can find his/her folder but it comes up: no files shared. (Number of files? 20,696!)

I'll keep on trying.

Well I just finished downloading to the mp3s off soulseek (thanks mflaum). Amazing. Jandek plays and sings much in the style of "The End of It All" (big surprise), while Youngs plays echoey hypnotic bass that works impressively with Jandek's style. The drummer is really good, seems to take a cue from the albums in that he doesn't focus on keeping time but on creating mood and underscoring what Jandek does with his guitar.  I'm not even done with listening to track 3 yet, but here's the lyrics to track 2:

I feel light as a feather

Since you're gone

I don't feel the floor I'm walking on

I don't think about anything

But [sounds like city/cities/Sydney?] doesn't matter

It's too far away

There's only this room

Where I stay

I stare at objects

But I don't see them

I feel light as a feather

Since you're gone

I don't feel the floor that I'm walking on

As a matter of fact

I don't walk much

As a matter of fact

I don't talk much

I got a dream I'm going through

There's no people, not even you

I hide from windows

I don't want to know

What's really out there

Outside, below

I don't think about anything

Dave: I'm rather surprised that more people aren't expressing dismay over Jandek performing live; there's been many fewer than I would have expected. Of course, it helps that the few that express disappointment are rapidly and soundly bitch-slapped. Cripes! The guy's a musical recluse for 25+ years and a few folks have the nerve to complain? HA!

I'm guessing that it was your order status calls to your boyfriend that brought the man into the light. Word has it that Jandek dedicated one tune to someone by the name of... DAVE!

^_^

DAVE! DAVE! DAVE!

:D

I made the mistake of showing the concert photo to one person in my office: a gal I've known for 10 years. A real sweetheart. She tried to feign interest but it was obvious that my enthusiasm wasn't contagious.

from Pitchfork:

Jandek Revealed!: Reclusive Songwriter Makes First-Ever Live Appearance at Scottish Festival

Jason Henn reports:

Faced with Jandek's obtuse sound and label Corwood Industries' intentionally aloof approach to PR, many folks are quick to put up defenses, declare, "Oh, I get it," and write-off Jandek as a PoMo prankster or a boring hack. Others, meanwhile (usually college radio music directors or basement record shop employees), sense something else going on inside the music's sour shell and take time to acquire the taste. The latter comprise the devoted cult for whom word of a Jandek personal appearance is news on the order of a manned Neptune landing.

With a single public performance last weekend at Glasgow's Instal Festival, the man we call Jandek forever put a new spin on the most interesting bio in recent music history. An incredible 26 years and 37 albums in the making, Jandek's reputation in the very lowest reaches of the underground was-- until Sunday, October 17th at 5:00 p.m. Glasgow time-- characterized by a complete unwillingness to perform, or to even show his face in public.

David Tibet of Current 93 also performed at the festival and confirmed via blog that it was "absolutely" Jandek who performed at Instal, though the performer never used the moniker to refer to himself and was, in fact, attending as "a representative from Corwood Industries." From his posts, it's obvious that Tibet has inside information, as he elaborated that the appearance was the result of seven months of secret negotiations resulting in an agreement to perform based on the condition that the name Jandek not be used in any of the festival's publicity materials. He also revealed that Jandek stayed in a separate hotel from all the other bands at the festival-- none of whom were aware he would be playing-- and that, apart from a brief appearance to see Six Organs of Admittance, he didn't attend any of the other performances.

The performance reportedly lasted an hour, with a dapper-dressed, hollow-cheeked version of the same man who appears on many of the Jandek album covers accompanied by Jagjaguwar artist Richard Youngs on bass and Alex Neilsen of Glasgow ensemble Scatter on drums. The set was reportedly frantic, featuring simple, repeated rhythmic patterns punctuated by a degree of improvisation, the arrangements shaped by cues from the frontman. There was no between song banter, though Jandek reportedly responded with a smile to the audience's warm reception.

Since Jandek's name was omitted from any promotional material, and in fact, was not even mentioned before or during any part of the performance, many crowd members were reportedly unaware of just what the fuck was going on. One attendee asserts that Jandek vanished the moment the performance had finished.

While this just about exhausts the verifiable facts about the appearance, some Jandek cult members are exploring what would, under any other circumstances and regarding any other artist, be the most excruciatingly minor details. Many discussion groups-- including the Outsider Music community of Livejournal.com, to which Tibet posted-- have exploded with chatter, much of which appears to be credible firsthand info from festival attendees.

One blogger reports that Jandek played "a surprisingly expensive looking Fender semi-acoustic with no soundhole." Others counter that it was a Godin. Seth Tisue, a Northwestern University employee who hosts the web's pre-eminent Jandek fansite, posted news of the appearance along with links to the resulting message board/file-sharing boom. Several pictures of the performance are easily located (one of which we've reprinted here), and a bootleg MP3 has already made its way onto Soulseek. For those who can stand the wait, Corwood reportedly plans a legit release of the performance on both audio CD and DVD.

As Tibet assessed the performance, "It was absolutely amazing. Jandek was happy and relaxed and looked great." To borrow the words of another Livejournal member, "It's nothing short of miraculous that this has happened."

Thanks John!

I've noticed that the download page I posted above lists: downloads have stopped temporarily - please check back later.

DAMN! I hope it's up tonight, when I get home. No biggie I guess as it'll (soon?) receive an official release. At least that's the rumor.

LIVE JOURNAL: Outsider Music: Jandek

jandek1.JPG

Edited by Chaney

I downloaded them all this morning if you guys need a copy.   :g

Might have to take you up on that, Jim.

I'm trying the SoulSeek thing again. I placed myself in line with over 300 folks ahead of me. If I've done it correctly, I should have the files by late March 2005.

Check out Seth Tisue's new JANDEK: Live page.

ON THE EDIT: Just found tracks six, seven and eight HERE.

:o

I'm not familiar with the guys backing Jandek but MAN, that's one EVIL sound! :tup

Edited by Chaney

JIM! I could hug you!

THANK YOU!!!!!!

A quote from the web: A world where Jandek shows his face in public to play music isn't the same dour place it was a month ago. Nope, it's a completely different dour place.

Edited by Chaney

posted on IHM:

I didn't get to speak to him, no one did except my friend Barry Esson who curated the fest and Richard Youngs and Alex Neilson who played with him. He never once said he was Jandek, just a rep of Corwood Industries. Said to Alex afterwards that the live show was the first time he had ever felt truly alive. Smiled on stage once. Looked very emaciated. Apparently in rehearsal he told the group he had three types of songs and he would signal by the way he played guitar what type each one was, either Blues, Ballad or Brutal(!). He had been in Glasgow for a week, flew over on his own money so that he was under no obligation to play if he didn't feel like it. The venue was emptied while he practiced and no one was allowed to announce he was playing or he would pull the show. I knew he was thinking about doing it for a while and finally over the last few days realised it was happening but was unable to tell anyone. Heather and I have about 70 pics of him in all. The concert was filmed, with Jandek having the option of releasing it as a DVD on Corwood. Everyone here is still in a daze, can't believe it happened, the concert was everything you could've hoped from a Jandek show, crazy heavy Velvets spiked blues guitar, Richard playing Holger-Czukay style bass throbs, Alex playing heavy and free and that fucking voice sounded like it was straight from the void, set of blasted blues, Haino said afterwards "Jandek *is* the blues." Jandek looked like he was realy enjoying it and pulled a few good shapes too, never said one thing though, took his time packing his guitar but no one approached him and he left the venue as abruptly as he had arrived. All the songs were of heartbreak and abandon, few funny lines too, like when he suddenly exploded "I made the decision to get real wild!" and everyone began screaming. Apparently he loved the screams, looks likely that he will play live again and the next time he will announce it. Anyway, still trying to piece it all together. Who could've thunk it?

You won't believe this, within the last week, Amazon has added Jandek cds. 13 right now for $8.98 ea. The next documentary will be called Jandek on Amazon!

Funny, but Amazon now lists only three Jandek titles, with none of the three in stock.

:huh:

From the Jandek List:

The mp3s I've heard so far sound exactly like that last few CDs. Deep, throaty voice, hypnotic bass, and a cat-screaming-in-a-blender guitar tuning. The drums are the most normal I've ever heard on a Jandek recording. I don't really like his new stuff, but given the nature of his music, I'd imagine he'll probably never play any old stuff if he does more shows. Of course this means my dreams of hearing "Only Lover" performed live will remain dreams.

One other pondering: why did he make such a point of being a "corwood representative". I mean, Sterling, bro, keep it real. We all know that's there's only one smokestack at Corwood Industries. He's not fooling anyone; he's only giving ample evidence of being an extremely paranoid person. Then again, in these modern times, who isn't extremely paranoid?

I'm just surprised he didn't hawk his CDs at the show. Doesn't he need to move them?

/Justin

:g

Edited by Chaney

All right Chaney, 2 reviews coming up, it's about time! ;)

John B, my opinion in short of Blue Corpse, I wasn't as impressed by it as I was with the next one; You Walk Alone, at least by the first 5 songs.

Anywho, #9, Interstellar Discussion. Nothing really jumps out at me on this one. 6 songs electric, 9 acoustic. Electric mostly instrumental, though I liked I Ain't Got None, noisy, jammy, wailing type o' thing. I think he recorded the whole album himself even despite the fact that on 2 songs you hear 2 voices at the same time, but they're both that yoweling Jandekian voice. I haven't heard anyone else he's recorded with have a voice anywhere near his. I do have to say, I like when he uses the words ha ha, as in the song Ha Ha from this album, as a rhythm which he also used on Moon on a song called Comedy. Nothing special, but it's ON BEAT! The Spirit has a nice feel and I think almost a whole minor chord being played throughout. I think that's just the tuning though. There's a song called May 7th, 9:15 A.M. which is nothing special, just the title reminded me of a Minutemen song called May 2nd, 9:30 A.M. The only one that really stuck out to me was the last, Kick. It's mostly one note, and a fretted note at that. His voice fits better with quiet, hushed songs rather than loud, yoweling (& that's the perfect word for it) songs. Middle of the road, not bad, but not great.

Somewhere on the Tisue site, someone wrote in a review about his songs being quiet or loud, yet he doesn't mine the grey area in between. That's the one thing I agree with in terms of a critical assessment of his music. Whispery or full on, no in between. Again a challenge as you never know when one is coming on, though he obviously does his songs in sessions and breaks them up according to the 40 minute mark of an album (at least when he had vinyl, with cds, that's streched to longer amounts of time. His songs are now sometimes 30 minutes!).

COR0747.JPEG

Interstellar Discussion :tup:party:

Boy Dave, you and I are really starting to part ways in our opinions.

In my opinion, this one approaches being a masterpiece for our Sterl. First (LP) side is electric, with much steadier – but still mostly simplistic – drumming. But listen to what he does on Waltz In Two-Fourths Time! Get past the shouted vocal and this track is creative in a way never before heard on a Jandek album. VERY impressive. Nice use of harmonica and a whole lotta shoutin' goin’ on. Side 1 also seems to be his first obviously multi-tracked effort, what with the over dubbed (correct term?) vocal (I agree with you Dave: they're both Jandek) and (for Jandek) painterly percussion. Maybe he sprang for a new mixing board and was feeling experimental?

Side 2 is Jandek and acoustic guitar, a bit of harmonica (on one track) and the return of his foot tapping! After the mostly shouted -- or as Dave describes it, yoweling! -- vocals and violence of side 1, the return of the higher voiced, delicate, more introspective Jandek of side 2 comes as something of a relief. Excellent song writing on side 2 and on Ha Ha, with Jandek and his harmonica, there’s an odd sort of purity present. (I don’t recall his having previously performed a tune with only the vocal and harmonica.)

I have to wonder if we get a glimpse of the relationship Jandek in Couldn’t Be A Reader:

Couldn’t be a Reader

I couldn’t be a reader

I had to write the words

I couldn’t be a dancer

I had to pull the string

Hey, I wouldn’t treat you nice

Hey, you’d have to pay the price

Now I’m lost forever

I couldn’t play a part

Knowing that a fever is written in my blood

Hey, I wouldn’t treat you nice

Hey, you’d have to pay the price

Best that you forget me

Best that you forget me

Also, I’m wondering if perhaps Jandek’s birthday falls on May 7...

May 7, 9:15 A.M.

I take three baths a day

Wash out all my mind

Each time I get so gay

It takes me out of my mind

To get a clean mind

To wash out my mind

For a fresh new time

And a real time

So it’s three times a day

I go to the cleaners

I seldom do anything

Just ’cause it’s my birthday

The time will come

You’ll find you some new way to have a clean day

In the merry, merry month of May

A birthday. Time to reassess one’s life? A rebirth?

Yes Chaney, quite interesting how were hearing the same albums so differently. Makes for a great thread! By the way, Sterl's birthday is in just a few days: October 26th (1945). That's right, he's about to turn 59! I've seen his copyright entries for his albums and it lists his D.O.B. as the above.

Also, I think the woman singing, who people call Nancy, is actually multiple women, 3 actually across the first 20 cds. There's Nancy on Nancy Sings, but the woman who shows up on The Rocks Crumble through Modern Dances is not Nancy. Her voice is quite different. Then another woman shows up on Somebody In The Snow & One Foot In The North. The last is quieter than the second. Whatcha think Chaney (or anybody else)?

Edited by dave9199

Yes Chaney, quite interesting how were hearing the same albums so differently. Makes for a great thread! By the way, Sterl's birthday is in just a few days: October 26th (1945). That's right, he's about to turn 59! I've seen his copyright entries for his albums and it lists his D.O.B. as the above.

WOW! I really didn't think he was as old as 59.

That would mean he was in his early-30s when his first album was released. NEVER would have guessed that. Early-20s, yes. Early-30s? No way.

Also, I think the woman singing, who people call Nancy, is actually multiple women, 3 actually across the first 20 cds. There's Nancy on Nancy Sings, but the woman who shows up on The Rocks Crumble through Modern Dances is not Nancy. Her voice is quite different. Then another woman shows up on Somebody In The Snow & One Foot In The North. The last is quieter than the second. Whatcha think Chaney (or anybody else)?

Interesting. I'll have to do some comparing between Chair Beside A Window and The Rocks Crumble. (Haven't made it as far as the others you mention.)

John: Any opinion on Interstellar Discussion? Remember that one? The one that made you sick?

posted on IHM:

I didn't get to speak to him,...

I would absolutely love to know what was going through Sterling's mind as he packed his guitar and left the stage.

Hell, I'd like to know what he's thinking right now.

I wonder in what way his Scotand expeience will color his future recordings.

Edited by Chaney

You won't believe this, within the last week, Amazon has added Jandek cds. 13 right now for $8.98 ea. The next documentary will be called Jandek on Amazon!

Funny, but Amazon now lists only three Jandek titles, with none of the three in stock.

:huh:

From the Jandek List:

The mp3s I've heard so far sound exactly like that last few CDs. Deep, throaty voice, hypnotic bass, and a cat-screaming-in-a-blender guitar tuning. The drums are the most normal I've ever heard on a Jandek recording. I don't really like his new stuff, but given the nature of his music, I'd imagine he'll probably never play any old stuff if he does more shows. Of course this means my dreams of hearing "Only Lover" performed live will remain dreams.

One other pondering: why did he make such a point of being a "corwood representative". I mean, Sterling, bro, keep it real. We all know that's there's only one smokestack at Corwood Industries. He's not fooling anyone; he's only giving ample evidence of being an extremely paranoid person. Then again, in these modern times, who isn't extremely paranoid?

I'm just surprised he didn't hawk his CDs at the show. Doesn't he need to move them?

/Justin

:g

Both Amazon and Tower seem to list titles that they have no reasonable chance of having in stock. The Nessa AEC box was another example of this I recall.

Interstellar Discussion has been growing on me. It didn't grab me as quickly as some of the others have, but it is a solid effort. I really need some time to sit down and give it a close listen again, but I'm not sure when I'll have time for that in the next few days.

In the meantime, I'm really loving that live set. It really does remind me of the tracks I've heard off of the latest discs, which reinforces the thought that these albums are being released chronologically, as they are recorded.