Clark Terry plays Porgy and Bess

Joe M

Clark is the only guy alive today who could get away with doing this and not get laughed out of the room. (though I wouldn't be shocked if Wynton tried it). The Chicago Jazz Ensemble does an excellent job with the Gil Evans charts. Clark sounds very good, if not great at points. Much better at 84 playing this material than Miles did with Quincy at Montreux at the end. It is oddly fascinating to hear another trumpet player tackle this music with these charts, I never thought I'd care to hear it, and while this record won't make you throw away the Miles/Gil version, it is interesting, as an exercise, and as a vehicle to hear Terry's wonderful sound.

It's on something called A440

Listed in Jazzmatazz.

I find it interesting that Clark did this, though I haven't heard it yet..

Clark's record releaeases lately have had a certain level of " same old thing". So I haven't been buying CT lately

Set pieces , the obligatory mumble.. funny the first few times but a bit of a bore now, though I imagine it's expected by audiences and therefore pops up on his live recordings a lot.

This would seem to be something of an ambitious departure, but the question is.. does he play his own solos against the Evans charts, or does he just reproduce Miles' solos?

I don't think I would be interested, unless there is something new, otherwise I would put it in the " Why do they do this when the original is still available" category.